Fresh Bananas Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Baking By wilma c Updated 28 Mar 2013 , 2:53pm by wilma c

wilma c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilma c Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 11:27am
post #1 of 7

I've searched online and I couldn't find any recipe using fresh bananas for SMBC.  Has anyone here tried it? If so how many cups of mashed or sliced fresh bananas in one basic SMBC recipe should I use?

My gf is having a Monkey themed Baby Shower and wanted me to make a chocolate cake and banana cake. Since most of the Banana cake recipes I've tried didn't really have a rich banana taste I was thinking of baking my tested chocolate cake and use banana as filling.  I've wanted to add fresh slices of banana but I'll be carving cake to shape into diaper bag.  I wasn't sure if putting fresh banana slices will be a good idea.  That's why I thought of making SMBC for filling with fresh bananas in it.  Hopefully I can achieve a rich banana flavor not artificial taste like when you'll use flavor oils. 

This is my 1st post ever and I'm really desperate for helpicon_cry.gif.....Thanks a lot!

6 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

I have tried it. It tasted wonderful, but the chunks of bananas turned brown and it looked awful. I was only doing this as an experiment, so it was no big deal. I will probably try again because it was very delicious, maybe pureeing the bananas instead of just mashing them. I don't know if there is a way to keep the bananas from turning brown. If you try it and find a way be sure to post it.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 7

AMix lemon juice with the bananas before adding to the icing. Disclaimer: I know the lemon juice will prolong the Browning of a banana but I've never tried it in icing. I think it would work though.

wilma c Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 7

ATHANK YOU VERY MUCH @momg9 & @manddi for taking the time to respond to my post.

I will do what @manddi suggested then i'll share my thoughts on it & possibly post pictures too @momg9 :)

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 1:02am
post #5 of 7

This might be a dumb question.  Are you using ripe bananas, or overripe ones?

When I make banana cake my bananas are REALLY REALLY REALLY ripe.  The skins have turned almost black.  This really makes a difference in the sweetness and flavor of the bananas.  Sometimes you can get them reduced at the grocery store if you need them sooner than later so it takes less time to over-over-overripen.  But if I know I am making a banana cake I buy them way ahead of time.  Let them sit on the counter til they are very ripe.  You can peel and freeze in a ziploc if you don't need them right away.  They will look gross, but it makes all the difference.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 1:03am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

This might be a dumb question.  Are you using ripe bananas, or overripe ones?

When I make banana cake my bananas are REALLY REALLY REALLY ripe.  The skins have turned almost black.  This really makes a difference in the sweetness and flavor of the bananas.  Sometimes you can get them reduced at the grocery store if you need them sooner than later so it takes less time to over-over-overripen.  But if I know I am making a banana cake I buy them way ahead of time.  Let them sit on the counter til they are very ripe.  You can peel and freeze in a ziploc if you don't need them right away.  They will look gross, but it makes all the difference.

You can also add a little banana oil, if you have that available.  Just a few drops though.

wilma c Posted 28 Mar 2013 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 7

A

Original message sent by BeesKnees578

You can also add a little banana oil, if you have that available.  Just a few drops though.

I never thought that the ripeness of the banana will make a difference in the taste. I have so much to learn about baking & stuff.

Bought a bunch of bananas that's still relatively firm Monday & on Thu when i used it -- the skin has some brown spots. So did the banana.

When i sliced it -- it hold its shape (meaning banana isn't too soft or ripe yet) then i coat all sides in a bowl of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

I added around 2 large bananas in my basic SMBC recipe. Put few drops of Banana creme oil in it..then colored it yellow (See attached photo).....and my it tasted great!

I saw some banana slices in the SMBC turned brown. But it wasn't a big deal for me anymore since i used it as filling.

Thank you ALL for your helpful suggestions. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2963105/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%