Navy Blue Fondant

Decorating By Nobuko Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 6:07pm by radtech

Nobuko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nobuko Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate if someone would help me.  I need to make some NAVY blue fondant.  I've read some posts in the past in this site and learned that I need to add some black to royal blue.

I have some Wilton's blue in different shade and an Americolor royal blue liquid/paste color.  Do I need to add black to blue BEFORE added to the fondant or make fondant in blue first then add black to it?  I'm making marshmallow fondant.

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 4

I had to make Navy blue last weekend...Dallas Cowboy blue...which is super dark Navy.  I used Americolor NAVY and added VIOLET to it.     You will be surprised how much violet it takes...but also, how it deepens your navy.  

If you are using MMF...add it to the bowl before you add PS.    

I do not know what result you will get by adding black to Royal.   Wilton is not as concentrated as Americolor and others.   I never, ever use wilton.   

Good luck!

ross83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ross83 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 4

A

Original message sent by ddaigle

I had to make Navy blue last weekend...Dallas Cowboy blue...which is super dark Navy.  I used Americolor NAVY and added VIOLET to it.     You will be surprised how much violet it takes...but also, how it deepens your navy.  

If you are using MMF...add it to the bowl before you add PS.    

I do not know what result you will get by adding black to Royal.   Wilton is not as concentrated as Americolor and others.   I never, ever use wilton.   

Good luck!

Were do you buy americolor I've never seen it at Michaels or jo anns , V

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 4

AYou can by Americolor at Hobby Lobby. I also was having a difficult time trying to achieve navy over the weekend. I started with Duff Goldman's blue fondant (royal blue) and added black. It ended up being more of of a blueish green and I started to panic when I read that adding violet in addition to the black helps and it my surprise it worked! Ddailge is correct....VIOLET is the key!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%