Does A Fondant Covered Cake Make A Cake Dry?

Decorating By lish1904 Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 2:25pm by josephanna

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi - So a customer told me that her cake was on the dry side and I'm totally perplexed by this. She and her guests raved about the decorations but because there was a problem with the cake, I'm so upset.

I have never had any problems with the recipe. It is the Martha Stewart Devils Food chocolate cake. I've made it several times, keeping it in the fridge to stay moist, up to 4 days before eating and it was still moist. The only difference with this cake is that it was covered in fondant. The customer said maybe this was the cause. I don't usually cover cakes in fondant so I have no idea if that could be true or not.

Does anyone have any advice/similar situations? Does a fondant covered cake, left in the fridge for 3 days produce a dry cake? Because normally cakes that I decorate in buttercream have no issues. 

Thanks for any advice. I would really like to know this for the future.

5 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 6

I think it might be that the cake was in the fridge for 3 days, so it may not have been as fresh as if it were just baked one day earlier.  Usually, fondant seals in the moisture.  

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 6

Fondant absolutely seals in moisture, like having a cake dome over it. The fridge is a giant dehydrator, though. 

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 6

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Fondant absolutely seals in moisture, like having a cake dome over it. The fridge is a giant dehydrator, though. 

Yep

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

Store your cakes in the freezer instead of the fridge if you have to bake more than a day in advance.

josephanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josephanna Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 6

i usually cover my cake in plastic/saran wrap befor putting them in fridge, even for a few hours, so that the fridge does not dry the cakes out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%