Spelling Pet Peeves?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 2:06am by mfeagan

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 8:08pm
post #211 of 291

A

Original message sent by GeminiRJ

And l laugh every time I remember the local news anchor reading "ka shay" instead of "cash" when describing a "cache" of weapons that was discovered.

Perhaps the cache of weapons was particularly prestigious?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 11:26pm
post #212 of 291

Off the web:

This will effect the shelf life of your 'ganache' - it will effect how it SETS and may affect how it reacts with the fondant.

Correct spelling on the third try!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:19pm
post #213 of 291

I see in my previous post that I forgot the "h" in shudder. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get back to work! Proofreading is a good thing....

My number one pet peeve isn't a spelling mistake, it's a grammar error. I hate it when someone says "I seen it happen". It's like nails on a chalkboard.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:22pm
post #214 of 291

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Perhaps the cache of weapons was particularly prestigious?

Ha! :lol:

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 1:52pm
post #215 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ 

I see in my previous post that I forgot the "h" in shudder. I guess I was in too much of a hurry to get back to work! Proofreading is a good thing....

My number one pet peeve isn't a spelling mistake, it's a grammar error. I hate it when someone says "I seen it happen". It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Oh, absolutely! My own DH often makes that same mistake...

Since we are on peeves of other varieties, I must mention that chewing with the mouth open, breathing loudly, breathing through the mouth, or just leaving your mouth hanging open are all peeves of mine. I feel that if you don't have the sense (not since!!) to close your mouth, you must not have much sense, at all!

And nail biting, or finger chewing, and scab picking are all peeves. Seriously, fingers are dirty, do NOT put them in your mouth! You replace nasty germs with other nasty germs, while ingesting them...GROSS! Yes, you can wash them, but who washes them each time they touch something? And even using a hand towel can re-infest them, as can touching knobs, phones, money (GAG! I HATE touching singles after I went to pick my drunken ex and his brother up from a strip club green-smiley-024.gif) the shopping cart, children (lol) and your purse, keys,  keyboard, back of your chair....ALL germ hotspots!

Last night, I saw my husband working his toes over, after taking his boots off, then start chewing his finger skin... I did NOT kiss him good night.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 2:01pm
post #216 of 291

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 2:04pm
post #217 of 291

I saw a post in my email from "someone" saying that this thread is a pet peeve. I suggest "whoever" feels this way, unsubscribe, and ignore it ;-)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 3:38am
post #218 of 291

More that drive me crazy:  thankyou, advise/advice, marshmellows, dowl, accomodation, sucess, thier, peice, sudder, pour/poor, oppertunity, wharehouse, rather then, table clothes, American’s/Americans, lady’s/ladies, pluse, pillers, ceep, swith, handal, gnash, draps, lillies, troble, micheals, who’s/whose, truefully, recepie, receipe, and these that are also one word… over powering, over head, paper work, face book, store front, time frame, time line, first hand, before hand, butter milk, hand made, feed back, other wise, brain storm, under price, breath taking, over night, place mats, and bad mouthing.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 3:57am
post #219 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I saw a post in my email from "someone" saying that this thread is a pet peeve. I suggest "whoever" feels this way, unsubscribe, and ignore it ;-)

haha!  Great advice!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 4:38am
post #220 of 291
Quote:

Seriously?  I'd make a stronger suggestion than that, but I've been told I have the mouth of a sailor (but my grandmother's eyes), lol. 

My pet peeve of the moment (not a spelling peeve) is that I haven't been getting any updates at all on some threads (this being one of them), and one a minute on others.   

jason_kraft Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:15am
post #221 of 291

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Absolutely! It can be quite annoying when people complain about posts they don't like instead of just ignoring them. ;)

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:21pm
post #222 of 291

I have an americanism that drives me bonkers.  'He lighted the match.'  In Australia  he lit the match.  We have adopted multiple American words and things over the years but this is one that sits very badly in my brain spaces.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:38pm
post #223 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

I have an americanism that drives me bonkers.  'He lighted the match.'  In Australia  he lit the match.  We have adopted multiple American words and things over the years but this is one that sits very badly in my brain spaces.

That's not an Americanism...I would never say "lighted."  Completely wrong use of the English language!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:42pm
post #224 of 291

A

Original message sent by cazza1

I have an americanism that drives me bonkers.  'He [B]lighted[/B] the match.'  In Australia  he [B]lit[/B] the match.  We have adopted multiple American words and things over the years but this is one that sits very badly in my brain spaces.

Oh my... The (American) English language has been butchered so bad that people from other countries think that's how we talk...

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:49pm
post #225 of 291

AHe driveded the car.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 2:01pm
post #226 of 291

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

That's not an Americanism...I would never say "lighted."  Completely wrong use of the English language!

Both are correct, but lit is used more often than lighted.

http://grammarist.com/usage/lighted-lit/

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 2:27pm
post #227 of 291

Good to hear that lighted is not used very often in the spoken language but it it seems to be in a lot of american novels that I have been reading lately.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 3:06pm
post #228 of 291

I have never heard anyone say "Lighted" nor have I seen it in print- I've only seen/read the word "lit"....ps I'm American and I read. lol.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 6:27pm
post #229 of 291

I've read lighted, but people don't usually say it. 'She lighted the candle', makes sense.

CWR41 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:31pm
post #230 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

'She lighted the candle', makes sense.

Uh, no... doesn't sound right.  From the comments in the link that Jason provided... this makes more sense:

I have always assumed (learned as a child?) that lighted meant illuminated and lit meant ignited, which is somewhat reflected in the quotes above.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 7:34pm
post #231 of 291

A

Original message sent by CWR41

Uh, no... doesn't sound right.  From the comments in the link that Jason provided... this makes more sense:

[I]I have always assumed (learned as a child?) that lighted meant illuminated and lit meant ignited, which is somewhat reflected in the quotes above.[/I]

Exactly, e.g. "the lit candle lighted the room".

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 11:07pm
post #232 of 291

I've read through most, but not all, of these, and I'm surprised that no one mentioned the use of the word "of" rather than "have" or the conjunction " 've."

"I could of had a piece of cake" rather than "I could've had a piece of cake."

"I wish I would of gone to the store before the storm hit" rather than "I wish I would've (or would have) gone to the store before the storm hit."

Every time I read "of" instead of "have" or " 've" I about go nuts!

CWR41 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 12:14am
post #233 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789 

I've read through most, but not all, of these, and I'm surprised that no one mentioned the use of the word "of" rather than "have" or the conjunction " 've."

Every time I read "of" instead of "have" or " 've" I about go nuts!

It drives me nuts, as well.  It's on my list on page 7 (of/have)!

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 7:20am
post #234 of 291

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Some neighbors of mine would [I]bath[/I] their kids, rather than [I]bathe[/I] them... But, [I]irregardless[/I], they would [I]warsh[/I] them in the tub.

My mother says 'worsh' all the time!! And Worshington! She does a load of worsh!

Original message sent by SugaredSaffron

ROFL I've never seen irregardless used!

My husband keeps using the word. Drives me nuts!!

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 8:13am
post #235 of 291
Quote:

HAHAHAHA... I saw that on facebook.. cracked up! Autocorrect is killing my spelling! Every time I write something, I'll go back and see the errors and it drives me nuts! 

We are from New Orleans and if you know anyone from New Orleans get them to say "sink". We say "zink" down here, ahhhhh it drives me crazy! I correct my family ALL THE TIME sometimes I feel rude, but I can't help it. I want to scream when I hear it, lol.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 2:10pm
post #236 of 291

That's so funny!  My husband says warsh all the time, too.  He got it from his mother.  My 2 boys are always correcting him, so he's getting better at saying wash!

CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 6:30am
post #237 of 291

From today!  (not including possible typos):
alittle, Dr. Suess, dolope, Guiness, devine, rice krises, equiptment, exactlo, differant, minnine, minne, regrat, handel, their/they’re, assistant’s/assistants, accually, nefews, accomidate, ecalaires, recieved, thank’s/thanks, thanku, defenetly, definetly, approuved, palette’s/palate’s, everone, constantley, setteled, cartidges, teirs, barbell/barrel, prolly, seel/sell, herd/heard, encase/in case, cocoktai, accoding, cheeper, hicups, dummie, shinny, fraid, ganche, dummy’s/dummies, perhapes, acatual, prefere, backed/baked, due/do, rake/rack, none/non, incorperate, then/than, than/then, sourceam, unfortantly, threw/through, know/now, ok, friends/friend’s, cakepan, to/too, its/it’s, caeg, expenses/expensive, whipcreme, refridgerating, the’d, im/I’m, childs, dont, wont, google/going, graffitti, moms/mom’s, cause/because, god/God, shorting, your/you’re, mashes/mashed, and lit/bit.

And, these are also compound words:
no where, any one, through out, over cook, your self, wood grain, corn starch, break down, a piece, some one, sugar work, lace work, and in to.

Sometimes “sometime” should be “some time”!

Use a “?” after a question.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 7:25am
post #238 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41 

From today!  (not including possible typos):
alittle, Dr. Suess, dolope, Guiness, devine, rice krises, equiptment, exactlo, differant, minnine, minne, regrat, handel, their/they’re, assistant’s/assistants, accually, nefews, accomidate, ecalaires, recieved, thank’s/thanks, thanku, defenetly, definetly, approuved, palette’s/palate’s, everone, constantley, setteled, cartidges, teirs, barbell/barrel, prolly, seel/sell, herd/heard, encase/in case, cocoktai, accoding, cheeper, hicups, dummie, shinny, fraid, ganche, dummy’s/dummies, perhapes, acatual, prefere, backed/baked, due/do, rake/rack, none/non, incorperate, then/than, than/then, sourceam, unfortantly, threw/through, know/now, ok, friends/friend’s, cakepan, to/too, its/it’s, caeg, expenses/expensive, whipcreme, refridgerating, the’d, im/I’m, childs, dont, wont, google/going, graffitti, moms/mom’s, cause/because, god/God, shorting, your/you’re, mashes/mashed, and lit/bit.

And, these are also compound words:
no where, any one, through out, over cook, your self, wood grain, corn starch, break down, a piece, some one, sugar work, lace work, and in to.

Sometimes “sometime” should be “some time”!

Use a “?” after a question.

I saw one that made me think of you (hint hint) severing, rather than serving. WOW.  

jason_kraft Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 9:49am
post #239 of 291

A

Original message sent by CWR41

god/God

How did someone misspell "god"?

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 11 Apr 2013 , 10:26am
post #240 of 291

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%