Spelling Pet Peeves?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 2:06am by mfeagan

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 6:18pm
post #121 of 291

The gas station near my house has a marquee that lists specials and other items of interest.  For about two months it read: Down Load our App. 

Everyday as I drove by, I would mutter "Download is one word people, one word."

I almost hauled a ladder over and fixed it, since telling the manager about the error had no effect.  However, that might have been difficult to explain to the police.  "Honest Officer, I'm simply fixing this here spelling error that has been driving me bat s+++ crazy."

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 6:49pm
post #122 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

I stopped at a gas station once and there was a sign on every pump that read, "prepay frist".

This reminds me of a person who used to be Human Resources Manager of our department. At staff meetings, she frequently mentioned that this or that committee needed more members and, "remember, you can self-nominate yourself."  It was all we could do to supress our guffaws. Out of her hearing, we would joke, "I'm going to self-nominate myself to make the coffee." "Would you self-nominate yourself to copy this?" That HR person is no longer here. Grammar was not her only problem. icon_razz.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 7:04pm
post #123 of 291

AIt's technically punctuation, but this is another one of my pet peeves.

http://www.apostrophecatastrophes.com/

Also:

http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/

shanter Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 7:46pm
post #124 of 291

Also bugging me is people who make plurals by adding 's. The plural of photo is photos.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 8:02pm
post #125 of 291

I cringe when I hear the redundancy of baby colt, baby chicks, and even tuna fish--as in sammwichs. Oh, this thread gives me such a belly laugh. I am still chuckling over $65 orange colorectals!

Jan

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 8:04pm
post #126 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

I cringe when I hear the redundancy of baby colt, baby chicks, and even tuna fish--as in sammwichs. Oh, this thread gives me such a belly laugh. I am still chuckling over $65 orange colorectals!

Jan

My husband is driven crazy by that... I have to admit that I do it just to wach his skin crawl... I know horrible wife.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 11:47pm
post #127 of 291

A lot.  Not alot.

milkmaid42 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 11:59pm
post #128 of 291

Border, around a cake. Not boarder.

Jan

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:10am
post #129 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

Border, around a cake. Not boarder.

Jan

This makes me grind my teeth.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:13am
post #130 of 291

do you think you guys are wound a little tight?

icon_biggrin.gif please don't hurt me

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:18am
post #131 of 291

Yes, wound super tight!  icon_biggrin.gif

shanter Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:23am
post #132 of 291

Yes! Stuff I've been wanting to get off my chest for ages!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:29am
post #133 of 291

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

do you think you guys are wound a little tight?

:D  please don't hurt me

My mother is wound pretty tight. Sometimes it's to the point that she's a nervous ball of potential energy... I guess I'm at the mercy of my genetic predispositions. :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:30am
post #134 of 291

Oh I'm sure if you looked at my many post one would find all kinds of spelling errors.  I have never been very good at spelling :(  And don't have a spell checker on this computer :(

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:39am
post #135 of 291
Quote:

My mother is wound pretty tight. Sometimes it's to the point that she's a nervous ball of potential energy... I guess I'm at the mercy of my genetic predispositions. icon_smile.gif

am i to conclude you're both coming after me???  icon_lol.gif

manddi Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 12:50am
post #136 of 291

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

am i to conclude you're [I]both[/I] coming after me???  :lol:

Lol! Literally! :lol:

shanter Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:41am
post #137 of 291

We're going to form a gang. Why not -- I've never been to Memphis. icon_biggrin.gif

milkmaid42 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:13am
post #138 of 291
Quote:

My mother is wound pretty tight. Sometimes it's to the point that she's a nervous ball of potential energy... I guess I'm at the mercy of my genetic predispositions. icon_smile.gif

Oh oh, now we are leaving English and going into physics, are we? Must confess, not exactly my best subject....

Jan

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:32am
post #139 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

We're going to form a gang. Why not -- I've never been to Memphis. icon_biggrin.gif

come on down we'll go to graceland, act like tourists and get some barbecue!!

icon_lol.gif

y'all can be the walt* gang

*wound a little tight ;)

manddi Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 3:57am
post #140 of 291

AWe need to change or gang name. I think it's breaking copyright laws :)

shanter Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 5:07am
post #141 of 291

Oh No! Disney is going to come after the Walt gang! Horrors! Run and hide!!!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:08pm
post #142 of 291

dang been together like a few hours & already in trouble

that's gotta be a record

manddi Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:12pm
post #143 of 291

AHey! Maybe that'll give us street cred! :lol:

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:18pm
post #144 of 291

AOh laughing so hard.

It really irritates me when people mispronounce salmon or often. There are silent letters...Sam-on & Off-en.

I'm terrible guilty of not usin complete sentences on this board. I also begin sentences with and or but. However, when composing emails or other professional communication, I behave myself. I'm always amazed when people end sentences with prepositions. "Where's that at?" No no no! Where is that.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:06pm
post #145 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Oh laughing so hard.

It really irritates me when people mispronounce salmon or often. There are silent letters...Sam-on & Off-en.

I'm terrible guilty of not usin complete sentences on this board. I also begin sentences with and or but. However, when composing emails or other professional communication, I behave myself. I'm always amazed when people end sentences with prepositions. "Where's that at?" No no no! Where is that.

I swear, that has become SO common in recent years... It drives me BONKERS! What is worse, is I hear myself do it, occasionally icon_eek.gif It is just so over done, and I don't remember hearing it so much before some old rap song  came out, where the rapper did it. Something about "where you at?" I am not a listener, but I would hear it vibrating the rims off cars when I was driving, and every time, I would say, "Where ARE YOU,dammit!"

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:08pm
post #146 of 291

And it kills me when people pronounce a letter that isn't there. I am always asking my mom where the "L" is, in "both". She says "bolth" every.single.time!

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:30pm
post #147 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Oh laughing so hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I swear, that has become SO common in recent years... It drives me BONKERS! What is worse, is I hear myself do it, occasionally icon_eek.gif It is just so over done, and I don't remember hearing it so much before some old rap song  came out, where the rapper did it. Something about "where you at?" I am not a listener, but I would hear it vibrating the rims off cars when I was driving, and every time, I would say, "Where ARE YOU,dammit!"

once again walking into the jaws of death amongst the walters i request immunity from persecution prosecution please icon_biggrin.gif

but my daughter has a spiffy masters degree in something about writng a lot--she's been editor of bladeebla and she proofs for me when i write--she's totally gifted and certified

she told me not to worry about the prepostions at the end of sentences--because i had been pointing them out to her when she didn't fix them for me ;)

so i doubt she was cutting me slack--but i just thought i'd put that out there

language is a living thing--it might not still be a factor--i'll check with her though

???

shanter knows too i'm sure

shanter Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 4:53pm
post #148 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

she told me not to worry about the prepostions at the end of sentences--because i had been pointing them out to her when she didn't fix them for me ;)

so i doubt she was cutting me slack--but i just thought i'd put that out there

language is a living thing--it might not still be a factor--i'll check with her though

???

shanter knows too i'm sure

For the "preposition at the end of a sentence" there are different opinions. I think at present that the consensus is: (1) Leave the preposition at the end if it is necessary (e.g., "What were you standing on?"  "What were you standing" makes no sense, and very very few people would say "On what were you standing?"), (2) Do not use a preposition at the end of a sentence if is extraneous, unimportant, or redundant (someone else gave this example: "Where are you at?").

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. For now.

icon_smile.gif

Another nitpicky grammar thing: "unique" refers to one thing and it cannot be modified. Something cannot be "most unique" or "very unique." Either it is unique or it isn't.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 5:10pm
post #149 of 291
Quote:

For the "preposition at the end of a sentence" there are different opinions. I think at present that the consensus is: (1) Leave the preposition at the end if it is necessary (e.g., "What were you standing on?"  "What were you standing" makes no sense, and very very few people would say "On what were you standing?"), (2) Do not use a preposition at the end of a sentence if is extraneous, unimportant, or redundant (someone else gave this example: "Where are you at?").

icon_smile.gif

Another nitpicky grammar thing: "unique" refers to one thing and it cannot be modified. Something cannot be "most unique" or "very unique." Either it is unique or it isn't.

Where were you when I was learning English? I still have a hard time with this, I wasn't formally taught and have picked up so many bad habits.

I am an ellipsis abuser... big time...

milkmaid42 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 5:13pm
post #150 of 291
Quote:

icon_smile.gif

Oh, I see this so often and it drives me nuts! I know, I am OCD over grammar. Or, would it be OCDd over grammar? Or just spelled out: Obsessive-Compulsive-Disordered? Oh heck, it just bugs the heck out of me! 

Jan

No, I am the biggest ellipsis abuser. I know it and it still is my most used, along with the ----hyphen or even dash.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%