Should I Become A Wilton Method Instructor For Michaels?

Decorating By AliciaMontrone Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 3:48am by RedInLove

AliciaMontrone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliciaMontrone Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 4

I was interested in becoming a WMI.  I applied online, sent photos of my work, received a email back from the Wilton Marketing Manager along with the pay info and what's required.  The next step is to reply if I am still interested or not.  

So, I have a few questions that I am hoping I can get help on if anyone would be so kind.   I understand I will not be making lots of money and of course I love decorating icon_biggrin.gifso this is mainly for a hobby, but I do have a very "uncooperative" husband icon_evil.gifthat only thinks "MONEY" and not really supportive of me, that this is something that will be fun for "ME" to do while the kids are in school.  I got a lot of heat icon_mad.gifwhile I was taking the classes because of all the supplies I had to purchase so I just want to make sure its something that will at least bring a little spending cash "AFTER" I purchase supplies for my class and prepare for my class.

Question: On an average what is the take home pay after I buy supplies to prepare for my classes.

Question:  Are the Wilton tutorials that they say they give you really beneficial in teaching a class? Or are they just like the books they give you when you take a class.

Question:  If you have a class sign up that is 6 people, and only 4 end up showing up do you get paid for the six that were scheduled or for the four that showed up.   OR what happens if you only have 6 in a class but after two weeks, 2 drop out, do you get the same pay for 6?

Any help I would greatly appreciate!!  Thanks guys!icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:15am
post #2 of 4

Yes, most Wilton classes are at night like the PP said.  You could always ask your Michaels about holding them during the day though - might be a smaller crowd. 

When I was a WMI, I got paid for the number of people that showed up on the first night of class.  So say if 7 people signed up for the class and only 6 showed up the first night and 4 showed up for the remaining weeks, I got paid for 6 people.

You are responsible for your teaching supplies.  That means bringing a cake and icing and everything you need to ice and smooth cake and bags and tips, electric hand mixer, etc.  The students supply their own things.

I taught 2 classes a week and generally made around $100 a paycheck.  Honestly I quit because $200 a month wasn't worth the time and money I put in preparing and driving there and back. 

Many people do it and love it and make extra spending money.  I liked it, but for me it wasn't worth being away from my family 2 nights a week.  Oh, plus we did in-store demonstrations like one Saturday a month. 

I had aywhere from 1 - 8 students.  Honestly, the bigger the class, the easier it is.  When I had that class with 1 student, she darn near drove me nuts.  When you have a larger class, they don't expect you to sit right next to them and explain everything in agonizing detail.  Anyway... 

Oh, the Wilton tutorials are helpful, but very boring!  They are videos of people teaching the class.

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:36am
post #3 of 4

I was a WMI for Michael's, and the store supplied us with the supplies we needed to teach the class. They had  all we needed in the classroom closet. And if when we needed icing and fondant we would just go get it off the shelf if it wasnt already in the classroom, and then write down what we had to get and turned it in with the student count. Only had to bring in a cake for course one. We did use our own decorating tips and tools though. I didn't do it for long, I just did it until I found a full time job.

RedInLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedInLove Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 3:41am
post #4 of 4

As a current Wilton student at Michaels, I buy all my own supplies. The store I go to gives us our course book at no extra charge (after we pay the tuition and buy the kit) on the first night of each course. In addition to the kit, we supply any needed baked goods, which have been cookies, cupcakes, and cakes. I've also bought several extra tools and other notions, some were very much needed and others were listed as 'optional' equipment but that the instructor either told us we'd really need (like duplicate tips for nights we'd be changing icing colors back and forth) to some things that she said would just make life easier (like the cake dividing mat) when doing different things but weren't crucial to get through class.

For course 1, my instructor brought in an iced cake the first night of class and did a quick simple decoration on it to show us what we'll be learning. After that, I don't recall her bringing in anything else. She has mostly used other students' materials to demonstrate. Sometimes she'd keep grabbing materials from the same person, other times she would use from someone else. I'm now on the 3rd course, and she hasn't brought in anything since that I can recall since the cake. So it sounds like materials cost is almost nothing for the instructors.

Congratulations on being chosen, and good luck if you choose to do it!

ETA: the classes at my store seem to be all at night, and the occasional weekend demonstration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%