6 Inch Cakes

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 10:43pm by BeesKnees578

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 6

I have a question that there must be a simple answer to. When frosting small cakes, how do you keep them from moving. When I try to frost a 6 inch cake I have the hardest time because they start sliding across the turn table. I've tried putting some buttercream under it, and  some non slip materiel and it still moves. So what do you do?

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 6

What kind of butter cream are you using? I use SMBC and my 3" cakes are the only ones that move on me, but it's a really soft icing which has a lot of give. If you're using a thick powdered sugar icing, I don't know what to do really, maybe double sided tape? Melted chocolate to glue it to the turntable temporarily?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 6

i use a damp paper towel under the cake board. this usually does the trick.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 6

I use a non slip liner and haven't had issues. I have been making 6" cakes lately using ganache and there has been no slipping. What is your turntable made out of?

gardner177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gardner177 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 6

I have found that the thin rubber circles used for opening jars work great to stabilize the small cakes while I am icing them.  They seem to be more "grippy" than other non-slip materials I've tried. 

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

i use a damp paper towel under the cake board. this usually does the trick.

Me, too.  Works well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%