3D Baseball Cake Won't Cook Thru

Decorating By gramagoose Updated 9 Apr 2013 , 12:47am by trista4120

gramagoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramagoose Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

What a disaster! Tried making half of the 3d baseball cake to use on sheet cake. It baked for over an hour and still the middle wouldn't bake. Figured I would just cut off an inch or two but when I took it out of the pan it came apart and the outside was dried out and hard.  I used a brownie mix as I read somewhere that using that or a angel food was more dense and held together better.  I need this for my nephew's first birthday this weekend.  Any ideas? I thought about a flower nail but the pan is too deep.  Please help, I'm desperate!!!

5 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 6

AI'm pretty sure brownies are not meant to be baked in one big lump... they're designed to be baked in thin layers. I'm sure that's the problem but I would also suggest getting an oven thermometer to check the temp inside your oven.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 6

Put the flower nail in the pan, on the bottom, after greasing it or spraying it with non stick spray,  and when you turn your cake out, it will be on the top. Sure the cake will rise up over it while it's baking, but you're not pulling it out that way anyway, right?  Doesn't matter how deep the pan is, the big round part will always be looking at you when you turn your cake out ( as long as you make sure it's on the bottom of the pan).  Also, I agree with Mandii about the brownie mix.  That's probably one of your main problems.  Why didn't you just use a cake mix? I do it all the time and it's a complete success. 

gramagoose Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for answering Manddi!  I do have a oven thermometer and I make sure I check it. Maybe it is the brownies.  I can't remember where I read that....about using brownie mix or angel food for the denseness.  Obviously it sure doesn't want to work me for! LOL

gramagoose Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 6

Dani I wasn't sure about the flower nail as it was towards the top that it wouldn't get done.  I didn't know if it would perform it's magic from down under.  I will try using that and try with a cake mix and see what happens.  Thank you for taking the time to give me some much needed advice!

trista4120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trista4120 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

AI used a baseball pan for a bikini cake this weekend. If it is the ones at micheals two 1/2 circle with two small rings. Lower temp to 328dg so it cooks slower in the oven it will take longer you will need to watch it. make sure you use a baking sheet for over flow. I baked with cake box and homemade both were fine at lower temp. Cooking it at 350dg burns edges and raw in the middle. I used pudding in the mix and sour cream to 1 box of came mix. 1 sml box instant pudding 1/2 cup to 1 cup sour cream. Very moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%