Stacked 3 Tier Tiffany Box Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By Shar32 Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 11:06am by mgostin

Shar32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shar32 Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 9:02am
post #1 of 2

Hi,  I have been asked to make a three tiered stacked tiffany box wedding cake.  What is the best method for getting the box lid look and then stacking another tier on top of that?  I have read the comments about turning the cake tin over and using gumpaste to shape a lid that way, but will it crack when attempting to stack another tier on top?   ~Also, worried it might not give a nice fitted lid look.

Any tips would be most helpful.

1 reply
mgostin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgostin Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:06am
post #2 of 2

Hello!

In the past when I have made a gift box i actually roll out a thick piece of fondant to about 1cm or .40 inches thick. I roll it out wide enough that it drapes over the top of the square cake about 1/3 way down the sides. I then smooth the top and corners, making sure this is all stuck down. You also want to make sure that it is stuck down along the sides longer then your desired lid hang over length.

I then run a sharp blade around the side and cut of the excess fondant and the result gives me a neat edge and thickness and the look of lid. You will need to measure and make an indent of a line so you can cut straight. This method though does give you round corners - not sharp square ones although i think with a fondant smoother you may be able to shape it. I have attached a picture so you can see. Goodluck! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%