I Need Guidance With Fondant, Gumpast Ect..

Decorating By SugarExplosion Updated 18 Mar 2013 , 3:15am by SugarExplosion

SugarExplosion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarExplosion Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 6

I'm not sure if this is the right section to put this but I hope so. Okay, so I've just started to get serious about doing cake decorating again. I need to build up my portfolio to drawn in clients so I have started using cake dummies to cut down on the cost, time and calories of eating/giving away cake.  I'm practicing on creating more 2D and 3D cakes themed cakes. I am looking for the most cost effective way to for now as I learn. You Tube is killing me. LOL  So I have a few questions:

1. What is the best medium to use when sculpting? Fondant, gum past , 50/50 of both fondant and gum paste or molding clay?

2. When do you know to use either of the three? I made my first mini purse cake this weekend. I wasn't sure how to finish the sides. I tried to roll the fondant and Tylose into a think rope but that was a HOT mess so I cut strips. It was better but not what I wanted. Would molding clay have worked better or or good old fashion black shoe string  licorice.

3. I was thinking of sculpting cake ideas out of the about mediums in a mini version. I can bake in my sleep, it's the flawless cake I worry about. What do you all this about this?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

DeeDee

5 replies
suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

Hello, there may be a bit of a language barrier here as I'm not sure what you mean by moulding clay - the only clay I'm familiar with is inedible eg Sculpey or Fimo polymer clay.  I would use this for models that can be placed on a board ie not touching the cake.

Fondant is no use for sculpting or making fine decorations - beyond covering a cake I don't use it in it's original state.  I do, however sometimes add gum tragacanth or tylo to it to make a modelling paste - suitable for making edible models that aren't too detailed.

If I wanted to make eg a rope border or fine detail I would use gumpaste.  50/50 gumpaste and fondant is useful for making the like of drapes or lace pieces but can be stretchy and hard to handle when rolled very thinly.  The greater the proportion of gumpaste the easier fine pieces are to handle.

SugarExplosion Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 6

HI Suzannem5,

Thanks for the great advice! I guess I should of said edible chocolate molding clay. I see people using it all the time.  I found a recipe on www.wickedgoodies.com it when every I try to roll a rope out of gum paste or fondant I always leave indentions on the it. I want a more finished look/polished looks. Do you have any tips to help with that?

DeeDee

suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 6

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean - I make my own chocolate paste and use it for modelling and also mixed with sugarpaste/fondant for covering cakes - a layer under the fondant instead of marzipan gives a lovely smooth finish.

Chocolate modelling paste is great to work with in cooler weather but can become very hot and sticky if overworked - good to experiment with though and tastes far better than fondant or gumpaste.

criminyoh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
criminyoh Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6

I agree with Suzanne, Fondant is not a material for detailed sculptures and stuff. Gum paste would be better. Use fondant only to cover cakes / cupcakes or to make simple cut out designs. A little bit of sculpting might work (such as ribbons) but for the other trickier details, use gum paste. :)

SugarExplosion Posted 18 Mar 2013 , 3:15am
post #6 of 6

Criminyoh,

Thank you for the advice.. I guess I have my answer. Thank you both.

Dee Dee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%