Gold Detailing For Sewing Machine

Decorating By Mooncaz Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 4:44pm by -K8memphis

Mooncaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mooncaz Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 6

AHi, i'm hoping to attempt a singer sewing machine cake for my mum. Was hoping i could get some tips for adding the gold details, I'm not very confident with painting :/ will try and attach a picture as an example.. Thanks x. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2952992/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 6

you can make a beautiful gold piping medium with gold dust*  and piping gel

*probably not the edible kind ;)

the proportions are...uh...

it's in the nick lodge ********** book #2 (i think) and the book seems to have disappeared

i'll find it any minute...

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 6

ok it's book three pg187

conbine 2 tsp powdered sugar and 2 tsp metallic powder

add spirits* to make a paste

add piping gel about a teaspoon or so

*lemon extract, everclear, vodka

this makes a tiny amount but it lasts a while you want to use a tiny tube to pipe it out and any leftover will keep indefinitely in the fridge tightly sealed up

i can't use a paint brush much either --except on  big walls ;) that are masked off icon_biggrin.gif

but if i can get it in a piping bag i'm ok--i know what you mean

would love to see a picture if you feel like posting after it's all said & done--my mom used one of those too!!!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

it's really really pretty to work with--you're like whoa--this is cool--did i just pipe that? ;)

Mooncaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mooncaz Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 6

AAh ok, thanks for that. Do you think I would be able to pipe that stuff onto a template and transfer it onto the cake once dried? Or would it break? Im scared to pipe a design straight onto the cake because i've never done it! Only made about 7 cakes so far :) will definitely post a pic if it works! Thanks again x

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncaz 

Ah ok, thanks for that. Do you think I would be able to pipe that stuff onto a template and transfer it onto the cake once dried? Or would it break? Im scared to pipe a design straight onto the cake because i've never done it! Only made about 7 cakes so far icon_smile.gif will definitely post a pic if it works! Thanks again x

not that mixture

you can do it--practice with icing on the side of a cake pan--

you could put some of it on a plate and affix that to the cake ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%