Another Buttercream Issue.....help Please

Decorating By kblickster Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 4:13am by -K8memphis

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 12:54am
post #1 of 7

I have a zillion mini cupcakes to ice tomorrow morning for a huge birthday party.  I made 2 very large batches of icing.  Same recipe.  French Vanilla buttercream.  First batch good.  Second batch using same ingredients looked fine but appeared a little stiffer than the other batch.  I added a tablespoon of cream and as soon as I did it started looking curdled.  Not grainy looking, just like it seperated or something and really loosened up - I'd say to piping consistency.  I do have the ingredients to make another batch, but I wondered if anyone knew what I did wrong?

Recipe is: and I doubled it.

1 cup butter (room temp)

1 cup all vegetable shortening

8 cups icing sugar

1/2 tsp salt

4 fluid ounces of International Delight Coffee Creamer

2 fluid ounces unwhipped whipping cream

Should I try adding more sugar to it to firm it back up a little?  Would that help with the look of it?  I whipping it for a long time (10 mins).  Didn't help.

I just read another thread from a couple of days ago where someone had a similar problem.  Maybe a bad bag of sugar??????

6 replies
kblickster Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 12:56am
post #2 of 7

Oh, and I need to add color to the buttercream which is why I wanted it stiff consistency to start off with. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:00am
post #3 of 7

wow i never heard of an american type buttercream curdling

even though i guess it's french vanilla flavored?

i don't have any ideas except to say sure i'd do what you said and add more powdered sugar

kblickster Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:09am
post #4 of 7

I know, it's never happened to me either.  The look of is similar to how Swiss Meringue buttercream looks after you add the butter.  Maybe not quite that lumpy.  I'm going to try a little with some more sugar and some color since I have to do several colors anyway. 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 1:32am
post #5 of 7

i mean did something happen to your cream or creamer or something???

i mean how could it be one batch of icing and not the other if it were the c or c

hmm

kblickster Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:05am
post #6 of 7

I don't know.   I did leave it out while making both batches.  It doesn't take that long to mix up a double batch of this buttercream.  I went back and divided both batches into the amounts needed for the colors I was mixing.  I added just a little powdered sugar to the bad batch colors and stirred it in by hand.  It's better and tastes fine.  Not gritty or anything.  Just not as pretty and smooth as the first batch. 

Oh well.  I'm convinced that there is a cake demon icon_evil.gif out there haunting me.  I seem to have the weirdest things happen to me. 

On a brighter note...the birthday is for a 10 year old who requested a cupcake rainbow and a pot of gold.  The pot looks great.icon_biggrin.gif

We'll see tomorrow about the cupcakes.  The party is being held at the girls church and is part of a larger celebration taking place at the church.  The mother very generously decided to treat the whole congregation to mini cupcakes. 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:13am
post #7 of 7

well cool! good save

best to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%