Rubbery Mmf

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm by Goreti

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 5



I made up a batch of marshmallow fondant for my daughter's cake, using a recipe that has worked fine before, but when I came to use it, it was really rubbery and even kneading it for a long time and warming it up in the microwave didn't help.I made it on Tuesday morning but didn't use it until Friday as I had a migraine and then my other daughter broke her finger and I was up and down to hospital with her.  It was well wrapped in greased clingfilm, though.  Did I just leave it too long before using it?  Is there any way to save it?


The recipe I used was the one that Jessiecakes recommends:


MMF Ingredients:

16 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extracts. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 6 cups you'll barely be able to keep mixing, so grease your hands and work surface really well. Put the remaining sifted powdered sugar on top of the greased counter top and turn the marshmallow mixture out of the bowl on top of the remaining powdered sugar. Knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar a little at a time.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, it can be used after sitting for a few hours.

4 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 5

AWere your marshmallows old? Or possibly heated too long to make them get tough?

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

The marshmallows were newly bought, so should have been fresh enough.  I've just realised that I did melt them differently to before, in that I melted them over a bain marie, as I read in another thread that that might be a way to prevent wee lumps forming in the MMF.  Do you think that's caused the problem?  It did seem to take an awfully long time for them all to melt properly.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 5

AI wouldn't think they could get overheated in a bain marie.. The only other thing I can think is if you worked in too much sugar, but I think that makes it crumbly, not tough.. Not sure!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 5

The first time I made MMF I used the bain Marie method and had great results.  After that I started melting it in the microwave and had nothing but problems with it.  It was driving me crazy so I decided to go back to the bain Marie.  It might be my imagination but I don't think so.  I get much better results using the bain Marie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%