3D Church Cake

Decorating By scobes Updated 2 Nov 2013 , 6:06am by madmax

scobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scobes Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 10:44am
post #1 of 9

Any tips as to how I might tackle the replication of this church? I was thinking cake for the bulk of it and maybe rice crispies for the taller parts/steeples.

I have a brick impression mat but am not to sure what might be the easiest way to get the detail of the stained glass and windows/the detail of the white-bricked pattern through the red bricks.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've been thinking hard about how to tackle this mamoth task whilst juggling full-time employment but I don't think I have enough experience to know how to achieve a good replica of this so that where all you guys come in icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance

8 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 11:05am
post #2 of 9

How much experience do you have?

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 9

AMy thoughts would perhaps be a basic block cake with all the walls and towers built from sugar cookies like a gingerbread house, you can cover the cookies in brick fondant, bake them with window gaps and stick leaf gelatine hand painted to look like stained windows.

The cookies idea lets you work much farther ahead of time which is very very important working FT as well :)

scobes Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40 

How much experience do you have?

About 1.5 years - I'm usually ok with making more technically challenging projects if there are detailed instructions (I can follow instructions to the tee lol)

scobes Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

My thoughts would perhaps be a basic block cake with all the walls and towers built from sugar cookies like a gingerbread house, you can cover the cookies in brick fondant, bake them with window gaps and stick leaf gelatine hand painted to look like stained windows.

The cookies idea lets you work much farther ahead of time which is very very important working FT as well icon_smile.gif

Good idea, particularly with the stained windows. Would a cookie structure be sturdy enough to transport? What about the stain windows on the main church wall?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:58am
post #6 of 9

First thing is, how many servings. The larger the cake, the more you can do, but that also means more time needed, starting from mixing and baking

Stained glass windows can be made from melted candies for one, or coloured  isomalt

Gingerbread for the towers, but you need to start calculating the size to get it proportionate to the main cake

You could make everything from cake as most of the church is either rectangular or square, steeples rice crispies, could be made beforehand, BUT you would need exact calculations for that, so that you really only need to set the completed steeples on the cake and have it fit

This would be a mammoth task with loads of hours to get all the detailing right, if you are working full time and work alone, hats off if you can pull it off, I look forward to seeing the cake. If you can take pictures of the church from all angles, that would help with the proportions, or better still get a plan of the church, with both, you can work best. In any case, that looks like a gigantic cake, make sure, you build in enough suppors and also have a stable cake board, that doesn't bend with the weight

madmax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madmax Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 5:53am
post #7 of 9

I to need ideas on this subject. My question is what could I use for the outline of my stained glass image that would be flexible enough that it wont crack when lifted off the parchment paper or off the impression mat?

madmax Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 6:03am
post #8 of 9

I am trying to achieve a realistic look to the stained glass, and wanting to insert the stained glass into the window as a separate piece.

madmax Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 6:06am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax 

I am trying to achieve a realistic look to the stained glass, and wanting to insert the stained glass into the window as a separate piece.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%