Gluten Free White/dark Chocolate Mud Cakes For Decorating

Baking By mylittlemod Updated 16 Mar 2013 , 8:43am by ApplegumPam

mylittlemod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mylittlemod Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 5:02am
post #1 of 3

Hi, my daughter is a newly diagnosed Coeliac.  I've always made the children's birthday cakes using the Australian Planet Cake recipes and decorated with fondant.  For my son's upcoming birthday I would like everything to be gluten free so my daughter doesn't have to worry.  Does anyone have a good mud cake recipe that is GF?  I want to be able to layer it, ganache and decorate with fondant.  

I haven't made packet mixes before but I tried one out this week just to see - it was actually quite nice!  However it was nowhere near as solid a cake nor as deep for layering and didn't seem like it would support fondant all that well.  

Thank you!

2 replies
oliviasbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliviasbakery Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 7:57am
post #2 of 3

Good morning!

which GF flour blend do you use? I don't know what's in the Cake Planet recipe, but normally it works if you use your old and trusted recipe, substitute wheat flour with an GF flour blend (my favorite is Dove's Farm - ideal for beginners!!).

But as gluten is a sort of protein you need to put back some protein with other ingredients. another problem of GF baking is that the cakes are more tender and less tough. So, one egg more as the recipe asks should normally level those things out. And a tablespoon more liquid so it's not dry (another common gluten free problem).

hope that helps!

feel free to keep on asking!

greetings, Olivia.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 16 Mar 2013 , 8:43am
post #3 of 3

I have substituted Australian store bought GF flour in my recipe..... in signature

with success -  you'll have to be careful with storebought fondant and some chocolate as well - a lot of these can contain gluten

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%