How To Train A Dragon - Tutorial/ideas

Decorating By Jazzbythebay Updated 4 Apr 2013 , 9:57pm by Jazzbythebay

Jazzbythebay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jazzbythebay Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a tutorial on the dragon 'toothless' from the movie 'How to train a dragon'.  If anyone has any ideas/tutorals on this, please can you let me know. I did find 1 very basic toturial but would like something with more detail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

5 replies
cakesbydustin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydustin Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 4:36am
post #2 of 6

crazy, i just did one of these last weekend. turned out awesome! i didnt have any luck finding anything either. this is the link my customer sent to me.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rouvelee/4598542422/

i 1st tried fondant and knew almost immediately, that wasnt going to work, then i tried rice krispies, worked perfect for the body, not so good for the legs. so i reinforced the legs with wire and told her not to eat it. wrapped the rk in modeling chocolate. bam! toothless! thumbs_up.gif

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 6

I made this one last year. I molded toothless out of fondant. The body and head are one piece and then I added his legs, wings, etc.

Jazzbythebay Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 6

thank you both....i have always worked with fondant and never with RKT...so am thinking i will do a practise dragon with RKT and see how it goes...cake by Dustin, would love to see a pic of your toothless cake

cakesbydustin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydustin Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 6

the pic isnt the greatest because it was from the customer and they put the cake in the seat and drove 35 miles. so it shifted a bit. who puts a cake in the seat? anyway, i had great pics, but i had just bought a new                                                                              camera earlier that day, and when i was uploading to the laptop i pushed the wrong button on camera and, poof! gone. i read there is a way to recover photos on memory cards, but im not spending $50 to get them back. i really cant take credit for the actual design of the cake, tho. the customer brought me a pic and said she wanted that exact cake. i told her i dont copy cakes, but it would be similar. so she just wanted the toothless and the barrel of fish. havent watched the movie, so dont know what the importance of the barrel of fish, but she made it sound like they were just as important.

toothless

toothless

Jazzbythebay Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 6

Your cakes are lovely, thanks Dustin and momg9!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%