Obama Health Care Plan Food Labeling Requirements

Business By handymama Updated 15 Mar 2013 , 2:39am by enga

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 10

I just finished reading a long article about who will now be required to put nutritional and calorie labeling on foods, and bakeries were included in the list. My husband heard the same thing on the news earlier today. It said that small businesses and bakeries will need to send out samples to be tested at labs (for a substantial fee). Considering the wide variety of choices that I offer, I see no possible way that I could handle doing that and it would put me out of business. Some groups with a strong lobby presence are fighting to be excluded, but it seems to be mostly grocery store chains that have delis. Anyone able to shed some light on this? Perhaps CC needs a letter-writing campaign.

9 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 10

icon_eek.gif, that is not good, can you tell me where I can find the article?

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know much about it, but what I've read it was for businesses with 20 or more locations. It really wouldn't affect independent bakeries.

Its difficult to find unbiased information- most of it is so politically charged you can't trust the information, but here's one site I read:

http://www.consumeradvertisinglawblog.com/2013/02/fda-proposes-new-food-labeling-rule-are-plumper-prices-going-to-be-the-cost-of-whittled-waistlines-.html

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 10

Justme50 -- I oh so hope you're right. The article was in today's Traverse City Record-Eagle.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, it is 20 or more locations, but each state and/or locality has it's own rules about labeling so you should start there. This is a federal requirement. 

enga Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama 

Justme50 -- I oh so hope you're right. The article was in today's Traverse City Record-Eagle.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/06/jail-time-for-food-labels/

They say it is for grocery store chains and restaurants.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 10

Its for businesses with more than 20 employees.  FDA is having problems with implementation.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 10

The articles I read say it's number of locations, not employees:

"The FDA’s proposed rule would require calorie labels on menus and menu boards in chain restaurants and retail food establishments − including grocery and convenience stores as well as coffee and pastry shops − with 20 or more locations nationwide."

And you're right, they've been refining the requirements for 3 years and still don't have it down. I don't look for it to be implemented anytime soon and when it is, probably watered down to where it really isn't that big a deal.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 1:51am
post #9 of 10

AWhen looking for information about a law it's best to get that information directly from the organization responsible for enforcing the law, in this case the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ucm248732.htm

If you have less than 20 locations, you are exempt from this law. It's technically possible that a state, county, or local govt could introduce similar requirements that cover food establishments with fewer than 20 locations (with increased oversight/enforcement costs to match), but personally I would be more worried about an asteroid hitting your kitchen.

CA has had this law in place for some time now, and it makes it so much easier to order a reasonably healthy meal in terms of calories and carb/fat/protein balance.

enga Posted 15 Mar 2013 , 2:39am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

but personally I would be more worried about an asteroid hitting your kitchen.

HHaaaa hhah ha, Good one jason_kraft,  I guess we should worry about other things,  Its nice to know that us little guys won't be affected right away by these new laws, it is food for thought though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%