Decorating By taartenmaker Updated 3 Sep 2013 , 2:25pm by cakeyouverymuch

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 10:55pm
post #31 of 98

That's pretty sandy

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:07pm
post #32 of 98

AMine was beautiful, a complete replica of st basils cathedral in moscow... just kidding. Married but no wedding. A girl can dream can't she.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 11:54pm
post #33 of 98

I always love hearing the stories of wedding cakes- especially from baker/ decorators! This is a link to mine here on CC.  I picked out the design from a Wilton book when I was still in high school!  I made it myself, it was so wonderful to make a cake where I was the only person I cared about pleasing!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2861969/a/3269229/royal-stand-up-hearts-all-else-is-buttercream/

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:01am
post #34 of 98

A

Original message sent by Bijoudelanuit

I always love hearing the stories of wedding cakes- especially from baker/ decorators! This is a link to mine here on CC.  I picked out the design from a Wilton book when I was still in high school!  I made it myself, it was so wonderful to make a cake where I was the only person I cared about pleasing!

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2861969/a/3269229/royal-stand-up-hearts-all-else-is-buttercream/]http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2861969/a/3269229/royal-stand-up-hearts-all-else-is-buttercream/[/URL]

I just love that old school disign, I am pretty sure that I am also gonna make my own wedding cake, because I love the old school american style buttercream cakes and I'm about the only baker here in the Netherlands who makes them all buttercream cakes.I'm pretty sure mine will have stairs and cherubs and everything.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 12:40am
post #35 of 98

Here is our wedding cake - made by my lovely MIL in her wood stove (that is all she uses to cook with) It was a delicious chocolate mudcake with ganache. We were married almost 4 years ago and I still have the sugar hearts on display in my 'wedding cabinet'.

By the way forgot to add that I loved the cake and loved the fact that it was made especially for me by my new family icon_smile.gif

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 5:07am
post #36 of 98

We got engaged, two weeks later we found out he was deploying. We wanted to get married before he left so I planned it all out really quickly. Got married in my mother's living room. Hubby's only request...cupcakes instead of cake. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 5:50am
post #37 of 98

ALove all the sweet stories!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:04pm
post #38 of 98

I could have sworn I has shared mine but I don't see it. Anyway, I had a "big fat Greek wedding", about 220 guests. The decorator was someone my in-laws knew. We picked it from a book of pictures. I'm not sure but I THINK it cost about $120 (in 1983). At the time, I loved it! It was marble cake and we were very cutting edge in that it wasn't plain white and we had it served it as dessert instead of wrapping the slices for people to take home as favors. Now looking back, I can see it was a cake wreak; the bottom large tier is so uneven and the buttercream on the middle tier looks like it's about to fall off. In her defense, the day was unbearable hot, so much so that one of my bridesmaids fainted in the un air conditioned church. I still have the cheesy, ugly topper icon_biggrin.gif.

smittyditty Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 8:22pm
post #39 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

We got engaged, two weeks later we found out he was deploying. We wanted to get married before he left so I planned it all out really quickly. Got married in my mother's living room. Hubby's only request...cupcakes instead of cake. 

Why only cupcakes? Just curious.

Elcee- you did on page 1...:) but its all good I do it too

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:22pm
post #40 of 98

Threw all of that crap away but picture a big white and peach cake with steps and tulle....Vurp

bct806 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:41pm
post #41 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Why only cupcakes? Just curious.

My husband has never been a cake fan (I have cured him of that one). When he was growing up his mom always made cupcakes for his birthday so it was a nostalgia thing. I went to Carolina Cupcakery and at the time they only did cupcakes. Like I said. It was a rushed wedding due to him deploying. It was just our immediate family (siblings and parents) and my grandparents since my grandfather performed the ceremony. We didn't need a lot of cake. It was a Thursday. We went on a two day honeymoon and he went home to Florida on Sunday. I actually didn't get into cake decorating until he deployed and I needed something to take my mind off of it. Almost got a grocery store wedding cake but it was more expensive and didn't taste as good. If anyone is ever in Virginia, look up Carolina Cupcakery and get their We promise cupcake. Best...cupcake...ever!

bct806 Posted 28 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #42 of 98

Also, instead of slicing a cake and feeding it to each other, we did a jumbo cupcake and feed it to each other.

taartenmaker Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 12:29am
post #43 of 98

A@buttterupcakes Don't you have a picture of it? I just love to see old school cakes!

taartenmaker Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 12:40am
post #44 of 98

A

Original message sent by Elcee

I could have sworn I has shared mine but I don't see it. Anyway, I had a "big fat Greek wedding", about 220 guests. The decorator was someone my in-laws knew. We picked it from a book of pictures. I'm not sure but I THINK it cost about $120 (in 1983). At the time, I loved it! It was marble cake and we were very cutting edge in that it wasn't plain white and we had it served it as dessert instead of wrapping the slices for people to take home as favors. Now looking back, I can see it was a cake wreak; the bottom large tier is so uneven and the buttercream on the middle tier looks like it's about to fall off. In her defense, the day was unbearable hot, so much so that one of my bridesmaids fainted in the un air conditioned church. I still have the cheesy, ugly topper icon_biggrin.gif .

[ATTACHMENT=1065]our wedding cakewreck.jpg (393k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Altough its not a perfect cake, I do love it! Especially with the cherubs on the satteliet cakes. Did you choose the disign from a Wilton yearbook? Ps: I allready saw this cake once on this site. I remember it was shared on a page about your wedding cake back then and how everybody would have done it now.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 1:23am
post #45 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyditty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taartenmaker 

Altough its not a perfect cake, I do love it! Especially with the cherubs on the satteliet cakes. Did you choose the disign from a Wilton yearbook?
Ps: I allready saw this cake once on this site. I remember it was shared on a page about your wedding cake back then and how everybody would have done it now.

OMG! I'm either getting old or I spend too much time on CC!

taartenmaker, the decorator had a book with pictures of cakes she had made that we could choose from. It is classic, old school Wilton, though. Actually, I admire the piping skills.

smittyditty Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 2:37am
post #46 of 98

That's cool Bct..thanks for filling in my curious mind.

Elcee -I think I did the same thing with the pricing thread the other day..it happens. I just wanted you to know you weren't loosing your mind!

Had you lost it you wouldn't have even remembered you'd posted it.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 11:57am
post #47 of 98

AI don't seem to have a picture of my wedding cake where you can really see the cake, but I am going to tell you about it anyway! My mom made the cake (this was long before I began decorating) and she did a very nice job decorating it, in spite of the fact that I chose a really stupid looking topper. It was a traditional fruitcake with marzipan and covered in royal icing. She did cornelli lace, roses, etc. She was troubled that some yellowish colour was coming through the royal icing from the marzipan, so she put another layer of icing on. She was making it ahead of time so that she would have time to solve any problems that arose, smart lady that she is! Then she went to assemble it (it was 3 tiers with pillars in between) and discovered a couple of problems. First, the white pillars were a different white that the icing, so she piped ivy all over them in an effort to remedy that. Secondly, she discovered that the weight of the upper cakes caused the pillars to sink into the bottom cake. You see, we didn't know anything about cake construction and the need for support in the cake. We just thought that what you see when you look at a cake is all there is to it! Anyway, she decided to fix this problem by making the royal icing thicker still. Would you believe she succeeded in this?! She made the bottom tier of the cake strong enough to hold two more tiers of fruitcake on pillars with layers of royal icing. So the cake looked lovely and my mom and I were both quite pleased with it. On to the wedding day! The cake makes it there with no problems, ceremony goes smoothly, etc., etc. Finally time to cut the cake! The problem is, we can't! Nothing short of a chainsaw is going to get through all that royal icing! The cake was finally brought into the kitchen without even a first cut in it and the icing is lifted off, completely intact, so the cake underneath can be cut. The only picture I have of the cake is much less a cake picture and more of a very young me and my very young hubby looking confused as we attempt to make the first cut.

FaithBakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithBakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 3:18pm
post #48 of 98

This was our cake (2005). Strawberries and cream filling - Delicious!

kaylawaylalayla Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 5:17pm
post #49 of 98

AAs you wish. Need pic please! That story is priceless!

taartenmaker Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 8:39pm
post #50 of 98

A

Original message sent by as you wish

I don't seem to have a picture of my wedding cake where you can really see the cake, but I am going to tell you about it anyway! My mom made the cake (this was long before I began decorating) and she did a very nice job decorating it, in spite of the fact that I chose a really stupid looking topper. It was a traditional fruitcake with marzipan and covered in royal icing. She did cornelli lace, roses, etc. She was troubled that some yellowish colour was coming through the royal icing from the marzipan, so she put another layer of icing on. She was making it ahead of time so that she would have time to solve any problems that arose, smart lady that she is! Then she went to assemble it (it was 3 tiers with pillars in between) and discovered a couple of problems. First, the white pillars were a different white that the icing, so she piped ivy all over them in didnan effort to remedy that. Secondly, she discovered that the weight of the upper cakes caused the pillars to sink into the bottom cake. You see, we didn't know anything about cake construction and the need for support in the cake. We just thought that what you see when you look at a cake is all there is to it! Anyway, she decided to fix this problem by making the royal icing thicker still. Would you believe she succeeded in this?! She made the bottom tier of the cake strong enough to hold two more tiers of fruitcake on pillars with layers of royal icing. So the cake looked lovely and my mom and I were both quite pleased with it. On to the wedding day! The cake makes it there with no problems, ceremony goes smoothly, etc., etc. Finally time to cut the cake! The problem is, we can't! Nothing short of a chainsaw is going to get through all that royal icing! The cake was finally brought into the kitchen without even a first cut in it and the icing is lifted off, completely intact, so the cake underneath can be cut. The only picture I have of the cake is much less a cake picture and more of a very young me and my very young hubby looking confused as we attempt to make the first cut.

Hahahhaah didn't the cake fall over? Because the pillars just stand there without suppord

as you wish Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:18pm
post #51 of 98

AAmazingly, it didn't fall over. To look at it you would never know there was anything amiss. I suppose the sheer weight of all that fruitcake on the pillars was enough to keep it from moving!

as you wish Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:22pm
post #52 of 98

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

As you wish. Need pic please! That story is priceless!

Okay, I will give it a try. I need to figure out how to put a pic on here without it showing up on the home page though!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:40pm
post #53 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylawaylalayla 

As you wish. Need pic please! That story is priceless!
Okay, I will give it a try. I need to figure out how to put a pic on here without it showing up on the home page though!

Post it on Facebook, then right click and Copy the image URL, and then paste it here. We will have to click it to see ;-) 

as you wish Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:42pm
post #54 of 98

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Post it on Facebook, then right click and Copy the image URL, and then paste it here. We will have to click it to see ;-) 

Good Lord! I don't want all my FB friends seeing that! LOL! Is there some other way?!

Louisekate1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louisekate1975 Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:42pm
post #55 of 98

AI did my own wedding cake but if I did it again the only thing I would change is the roses spray as I am so much better at flowers and sprays now. It was a bit space.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3066861/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

kaylawaylalayla Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 9:44pm
post #56 of 98

AI pin my images to pinterest and then share the link

as you wish Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:05pm
post #57 of 98

AOkay, you lovely cake-folks, I created a new FB page just for this, just for you! You're welcome. :) Let's see if this works. Now remember, I did say that I chose a stupid topper and I was very young. Let's let my incredible youth excuse all the poor choices you are about to see. (Except the groom! He was no mistake! Love him!) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1384902415067359&set=a.1384902561734011.1073741826.100006428410885&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:14pm
post #58 of 98
Quote:

Okay, you lovely cake-folks, I created a new FB page just for this, just for you! You're welcome. icon_smile.gif Let's see if this works.
Now remember, I did say that I chose a stupid topper and I was very young. Let's let my incredible youth excuse all the poor choices you are about to see. (Except the groom! He was no mistake! Love him!)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1384902415067359&set=a.1384902561734011.1073741826.100006428410885&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

LOL! You do look confused! And teddy bears, seriously? I love them, lol. 

Did you ever do the "feeding each other a bite", bit? And that was in the 80's, right? 

as you wish Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:19pm
post #59 of 98

AIt was actually '92. We didn't do the feeding each other a bite thing; I don't remember why, but we didn't like the idea. (Just as well, we would have had to honeymoon at the dentist's office!) I collected teddy bears when I was a teen and thought the topper was just perfect! I was 20 when we got married, so plenty of the planning happened when I was just 19. That is my excuse; I was a teenager.

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Jul 2013 , 10:22pm
post #60 of 98
Quote:

It was actually '92. We didn't do the feeding each other a bite thing; I don't remember why, but we didn't like the idea. (Just as well, we would have had to honeymoon at the dentist's office!)
I collected teddy bears when I was a teen and thought the topper was just perfect! I was 20 when we got married, so plenty of the planning happened when I was just 19. That is my excuse; I was a teenager.

That is a wonderful excuse! Isn't it funny how we all think we know it all when we are teens? I am so glad we can continue to grow and improve our minds, after our bodies are done growing ;-) 

I'll have to post a pic of us cutting our cake, it is hysterical, I look like I am murdering it, lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%