Anyone Ever Use This Silicone Chain Link Mold?

Decorating By Kathy107 Updated 22 Mar 2013 , 7:39pm by Kathy107

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 3
8326632671_76b5c0e082.jpg

Hi.  I am making a Chanel purse.  Has anyone used this silicone chain link mold?  Do you think it would come out good or look cheap?  Thanks.

2 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 3

I have never used it, but you can make chain any size you want, by using an extruded length of gumpaste the diameter you need, wrapping it around a thin rolling pin, or paintbrush handle, or whatever you can find in the size you need, and let it set for about 20 minutes, until slightly dry, formed but still pliable. Then you cut a straight line in it, cutting it into links, in one cut up the side. Then you take each link and link them all together, adding a drop of gum glue to the open sides, and holding them for a couple seconds. If it gets too dry, they will break, since you have to manipulate it a bit. 

I have made many small ones, using two drinking straws taped together for the mold, then cutting up the join to make the links. 

Though that mold may be able to be used if you want your handle to be able to defy gravity, in an upward arc, like it is being held. The links wont allow for that. 

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%