Custard/pastry Cream Filling

Baking By Blueridgebuttercream Updated 14 Mar 2013 , 2:09pm by Blueridgebuttercream

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 4

What do you all use for a custard/pastry cream type filling?  I'd like to have a reliable custard-type filling to offer.  I've made RLB's creme anglaise, but that's very definitely a pourable consistency, so not appropriate for a filling by itself. 

I've been experimenting with the French Custard from Whimsical Bakehouse, but I think I'm doing it wrong. 

The recipe is something like:
3 yolks
1 c. milk

approx. 1/3 c sugar
2 Tbs. corn starch

My instructions say to boil milk, temper yolk/sugar/cornstarch mix, then return to pan and cook med-low until comes to a boil, and then boil for 1 minute.  Now, when I've tried this, I can never get it to come to an actual boil (i.e. it never bubbles, just steams slightly) before it thickens.  Then I end up stirring like mad to keep it from burning and cooking it a bit longer to try and get rid of the raw cornstarch taste and it never really completely goes away.

So, am I just doing it wrong, or should I chuck this recipe and try something else? 

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 4

You can try one more time: mix 1/4 cup of cold milk with egg yolks. Bring rest of milk and cornstarch and sugar to simmer.  Cook on medium heat stirring constantly with rubber spatula all over the bottom. Blend that slowly into the yolks and return the mixture for a final simmer.  This will have slow sticky bubbles rising from it when fully cooked, takes a lot of careful stirring.

Mitzzi23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mitzzi23 Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 1:33am
post #3 of 4

I really like Martha Stewart's pastry cream recipe. 

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 14 Mar 2013 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, you two.  I'll have to try those to see if that helps.  Irene, I figured it was supposed to have bubbles, so I'll see if that technique helps. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%