Fondant Covered Cake In Fridge Ok For 5 Days

Decorating By punkin90 Updated 13 Mar 2013 , 11:22am by punkin90

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 12

I have a question. I have worked with fondant a little and have always put in the fridge with no problem. I had someone who wanted a cake and I covered in fondant on Monday. He told me he needed the cake on Tuesday. After talking to him (while I was decorating the cake) he said he didn't need it until Wednesday or Thursday. He would be taking it to a surprise party he was traveling to for his wife on Friday! Keep in mind I am looking at the cake I have started decorating. I have now finished the cake but am worried that it will not be fresh over the weekend. It has been in the fridge since I made it. Will it still be good this weekend?

11 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 12

I have to be honest and say I don't think so.

punkin90 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 12

I was afraid of that. All of the decorations are "glued" to the cake and I don't think I have time to make more. I am trying to figure out how to get this done. I have read that fondant covered cakes are ok for a week on the counter which was shocking to me. I figured in the fridge the cake would retain it's moisture.

jgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgs Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:00pm
post #4 of 12

fin ish the cake place it in a box wrapped in plastic wrap and it should be fine

punkin90 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 12

You think so? They won't eat it until Friday. Like I said I was told they would pick up the cake today (Tues.). Then it was changed until Friday.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 12

For my family, sure, I'd eat it.  But selling it to a customer?  No way.

punkin90 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks! Do you know of an easy way to take decorations glued to the cake I have finished? I don't think I will have time to remake them and let them dry.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:08pm
post #8 of 12

If you search the forums, BlakesCakes detailed how she properly wrapped and froze a fondant decorated cake for a client.  The cake was made approximately 2 weeks ahead of time and frozen--and it was perfectly fresh and perfect looking--when defrosted.  If you cannot find in the forums, PM me and I will see if I saved the thread.

HTH

Sheryl

punkin90 Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks Sheryl! I read the forum - great info! I have put fondant covered cakes in the fridge with no problems but I didn't think you could freeze it. I think I might give this a try icon_smile.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 3:16am
post #10 of 12

Seems to me it is his change in plans.  Deliver it to him as originally ordered, then it is up to him to store it.  At minimum charge him for the extra time and research and labor to allow for his change in plans.  Why does it have to be your problem? 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 4:36am
post #11 of 12

He ordered it for Monday, honestly, it's his problem, assuming he told you last minute he didn't need it that soon.

Unless he wants to pay you to make a second cake, just give him the one he originally ordered, as agreed upon.

(I'm sort of a cow when customers make last minute changes, lol)

punkin90 Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:22am
post #12 of 12

I think it was a mistake on his part. He didn't remember telling me the new day. I wrote it down thankfully so I'm sure he did. As I said I was looking at the cake and decorating it when we realized he told me the wrong day. I decided to wrap it well per the instructions in BlakesCakes forum instructions. Have my fingers crossed everything will be ok when I get it out! It will only be in fridge a couple of days. I figured better safe than sorry icon_cry.gif. Thanks for all the help everyone. Don't know what I would do without my CC buddies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%