Shopping Tips Wanted!

Decorating By Mira06 Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 9:52pm by Mira06

Mira06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mira06 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:02am
post #1 of 12

Hi! I'm a cake decorator from The Netherlands (Europe). We're going on holiday to the USA in August this year (two week road trip starting and ending in Orlando) and i would like some (general) tips on where to look for cake decorating stuff (cutters, veiners, cricut catridges etc.) In the Netherlands there are only some specialized stores and the webshops off course, but I understand you can get stuff at supermarkets/shopping centres in the states?

I would love some shopping tips! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 12

ASupermarkets and craft stores do carry some things but it's lower quality than the specialty stores. I personally don't recommend it.

Mira06 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 12

So I'd better look for specialty stores then...thankx manddi

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 12

The big craft stores here are Michaels, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby, Walmart also has some cake stuff.  These stores are not specific to cake but they have cake sections.  They would be worth checking out if there are any in the areas you are going to.  You could go to their web pages and use the locator functions to see if there are any where you will be.  They generally carry Wilton brand products with a few other product lines. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 12

You should probably list some of the areas you'll be visiting and people can tell you if they have an awesome supply store near them. Fijne reis! 

Mira06 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 12

I'll be checking those Denetteb, thank you very much!

Great suggestion kikiandkyle! Places we will be visiting are: Orlando, Tallahassee, Pensacola, Mobile, New Orleans, Natchez, Memphis, Nashville, Great Smoky Mountains, Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine, Cape Canaveral and back to Orlando.

Are there any specialty stores or other places I really shouldn't miss out on while out there?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 12

By all means head to Hobby Lobby and Michaels and check out their supplies...ALWAYS go to their websites and get their coupons for the week.  One or the other generally has a 40% off coupon good for one regular price item...and depending upon the week there could be other discounts as well.   I like to look not only in the cake section, but other hobby areas in the store as well...like the scrapbooking or the clay hobby areas for items like stamps and stencils and such that can be applied to fondant and gum paste or cake decor.  I got my fondant tools in the clay area for a heck of a lot less than it would be in a 'cake' section.    I also look in the bridal areas. 

Don't limit yourself to just the cake areas and you'll find a lot of things that can be adapted to cake use!  Michaels carries only Wilton gel colors...Hobby Lobby also carries Americolor gels in addition to Wiltons.   Michaels has lots of ribbons (I use for around the cake boards and sometimes cake) and they are often on sale. 

I always forget to go to JoAnn's so I don't know what all they have in the way of cake stuff.  Walmart has a very limited supply of things...though I did notice they were carrying more molds (Wilton) the other day.  They only cater to Wilton items.

We're lucky enough to have two sugar art supply stores that carry a variety of molds and other items we used to have to order off the internet to get.   So be sure when you're in an area, look for 'sugar art supplies' and not just cake supplies when you're out and about.   

Good luck, have fun when you're here and don't forget those coupons!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 12

AOur Joann fabric has a very well-stocked cake section and a lot of great martha Stewart stuff. Some of her scrapbook supplies can e used for cakes too. Get a coupon! Joann has one right now for 25% off your entire purchase!! Usually the coupons are only for single items!

Oleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oleta Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 12

Mira,  The International Cake Exploration Society (ICES) is having their annual convention in Lexington, Kentucky Aug 8-11 and that would be a great place to go if you could because there is usually 100 vendors there selling all kinds of things for the sugar arts.  for more info go to ices.org/convention.  I know there are speciality shops in Florida, but right now I don't remember where.

Oleta

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 12

I buy most of my caking supplies online because there's a better selection online, and I can get things relatively cheaper. If you have a place you'll be staying at for a while e.g. a friend's place in Orlando. I would suggest ordering what you want online from Ebay, GSA (use pay pal!!!), Sugar Delites, Scott Clark Wooley etc and have them shipped to your US location (if possible, before you get here). That way you're not wasting precious vacation time rummaging through limited store selections and restrictive coupons.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:32pm
post #11 of 12

Make a list at home.

Check your online sources.  Check goldaskitchen.com for ALL Ateco (premium US cake equipment) products.  You can also check shipping to your home.

Check creativecutters.com for their products, also can be shipped to your home. Check ebay seller bluelakefox for Argentinian gumpaste cutters Cortantes Cairo brand.

You will find Wilton products in the US market but their piping tips are not the best quality (Ateco are).  Please stifle the urge to buy products because you see them...they are not really always the best choice.

Be careful about buying food colours abroad because some of them are not legal in Europe.

So--all this being said--look for the larger emporia of cake supplies that do not carry any other crafts.  They would be your best bet for hard-to-find items.

Mira06 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks a lot for all your tips! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%