Friday Night Cake Club 3/8/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 9:31am by cazza1

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:18am
post #1 of 25

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome! This is just a place to share what you have been doing all week, share photos of your completed work, ask questions if you need help and help out those who are in need if you can. Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

Cat

24 replies
catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:22am
post #2 of 25

Hi there!

This past week brought baseball cupcakes for a little 4 year olds Baseball themed birthday. I'm working on figures for a baby shower cake due soon and I have Princess cupcakes due on Sunday. So plenty to keep me busy but no photos to share yet!

Other than that life is baseball in my house too. Little League practice has started so I have abbreviated work days for a couple of weeks until the actual season begins...then it's weekends. 

Hope to hear from everyone tonight!

Cat

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:28am
post #3 of 25

I made a Converse All-Star cake (Margarita flavored WASC) for my neighbor who just had a baby boy.  I brought it over with dinner.  I think it came out well, I am still always practicing.

And now, for Friday night...I'm not baking...I'm eating the leftover cupcakes from the leftover batter...very, very bad thing...

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:43am
post #4 of 25

It is super cute! I love the mini baby shoe pattern...just adorable! And, yes, it's bad but I love the leftovers too! I will be making 18 cupcakes with a recipe that makes 24...hmmm...wonder where those extra cupcakes will go....LOL

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:47am
post #5 of 25

No cake for me tonight, I tried out a new recipe that went disastrously! 

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:49am
post #6 of 25

Oh no! I had that happen a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I still needed to do the cake so I had to start all over again. UGH. Hope this week goes better for you!

Cat

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 4:04am
post #7 of 25

Luckily I didn't spend a bunch on ingredients! And we don't need to eat any more cake around here, I have made 3 batches of lemon poppy scones this week working on my recipe...

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 4:08am
post #8 of 25

After taking a few weeks off from traveling, testing recipes, and being sick, I'm finally back at it. I'm doing a 50th Birthday tool themed cake, working on trial run of Easter cookie and candy specials, and starting on a  butterfly monochrome purple cake that is due early next week. 

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 4:10am
post #9 of 25

I love tool themed cakes! The tools are challenging but when you get them right it's a blast!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 4:51am
post #10 of 25

Saturday here on my side of the world.  I baked some bikkies this morning, will ice them this afternoon so I can decorate them tomorrow.  Haven't quite decided what to do yet.

This is my effort from this last week.  I am really pleased with it.  It was inspired by an Anne Geddes calendar photo.  It's fruitcake so I can look at it for a few weeks before I destroy it.  I couldn't resist buying the First Impressions baby mould last year and then thought "what on earth am I going to do with this?"

Inspiration taken from an Anne Geddes calendar

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 4:59am
post #11 of 25

Awwww...that is SO sweet! And, yes, I got the Geddes reference immediately!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:21am
post #12 of 25

Good afternoon Cat and everyone, 

No cakes for me personally this week , although I did help one of my students this week with her first wedding cake . 

Cazza that it just awesome , I love the Autumn leaves , rather appropriate as we just went into Autumn. 

Love the little shoes , Nora soooo cute. 

Kiki and Cat , I too had a disaster last week with a gluten free and dairy free cake . I had to turn around and bake again with adjustments. It did turn out fine in the end , it was the dairy free component that posed the problem , not the gluten free. 

Well I finally got my cakes uploaded on the computer so here is what I did last week 

Chellescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:23am
post #13 of 25

Ooops that last photo wasn't supposed to be in there , I will be in trouble again I 'spose. However that is my Great Nephew Jack , and he loves his Aunty Mimi's Cakeicon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:26am
post #14 of 25

The wedding cake is gorgeous and Jack's cake was adorable! It's hard to remember that you all are heading into Fall as we enter into Spring!  I expected to have issues with gluten free/dairy free but found that the recipe I ended up with came out like a brownie. I guess I've been lucky tho'..that was 3 years ago and I haven't had to repeat that again! LOL!

Chellescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:36am
post #15 of 25

Thanks Cat , Jack's cake was a last minute throw together, He loved it though . I was really happy with the Wedding cake , it was the first Birdcage I have done and despite all the rain and travelling four hours to deliver it , I think it turned out well. 

Yes it is finally getting cooler here now as we just headed into Autumn, not that it really gets Cold here in my part of the world.  IF it ever stops raining , it is a lovely time of year here. 

catlharper Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:56am
post #16 of 25

My favorite part of the birdcage was the small piped birdcage! Loved it! 

I am on the West Coast of the US and Spring arrived about mid February. That's really early for us. Good for the weather but bad for allergies. Meanwhile it's nowhere close to Spring on the East Coast where they just got another 2 feet of snow today. 

cazza1 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:07am
post #17 of 25

Love the bird cage.  I had already checked it out on your facebook page.  Was Jack's cake done with edible images?  Did you print them yourself?

You wouldn't know it was Autumn in my part of the world.  We have been close to 40 every day this last week and the only rain we have seen since last year was  5 drops (I counted them) this morning when I went for a walk on the beach.  They keep promising us rain but it's almost like there is a big bubble over us.  Surrounding places and even the other side of town are getting it but not us.

Chellescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:26am
post #18 of 25

I love the birdcages on the bottom tier too , they are royal icing stencilled then overpiped and hand painted in lustre mixed with alcohol .   I used them as an inspiration for the top cage.  

Yes Jack's cake is an edible image , I have a friend I work with closely that prints them for me. I was going to do a 3D image but ran out of time , the image was the last minute fall back. It is amazing what an image and a bit of piping comes up looking like. 

Chellescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:27am
post #19 of 25

Cazza , you can have some of our rain if you like , we are thoroughly sick of it. Noosa was a nightmare last week, it just didn't stop. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:31am
post #20 of 25

I am still up working. I hate to be in my bakery all by myself, so I put it off all week, and then company invited it's self over, and asked me to babysit tomorrow (while he and DH go skateboarding, our little boys are 10 months apart and will play together) and all night (why??), so my DH was straightening the house, and I was still all alone:-(  Now he has gone to bed :cry: 

i am doing a 6" cake with an owl on top and quilted sides, and 24 cupcakes. It is taking forever! And I am doing all the cupcakes and owl and branch and flowers in modeling chocolate. It is only my second time working with it, and the first time was 6 years ago! I will post tomorrow sometime...well, later today! 

And now I have VIOLENT HICCUPS!!! And I wanna go to bed! 

I love that edible image cake for Jack, but I must say the thumbnail for the vaguely flesh colored cake with the rounded top made me do a double take! When I looked the second time, I realized it wasn't what I thought it was, and had a closer look ;-) it is very lovely! I love the flowers and the piped birdcage! And those shoes were adorable! 

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:36am
post #21 of 25

Oh, and we just had 4" of snow 3 days ago, and yesterday was 58° F so it was muddy and squishy out, and our yard is a mess! I walked up to the bus stop to get my daughter , barefoot, and in short sleeves, and it felt great! I can't wait for warm weather, though it hasn't been that bad. I have arthritis, so I get all achy. 

Chellescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 8:54am
post #22 of 25

Anna , the light made it look that colour , it is actually white , however before I put the bars on the cage and it was just plain , I few not so pure thoughts may have entered my head icon_twisted.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:02am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

Anna , the light made it look that colour , it is actually white , however before I put the bars on the cage and it was just plain , I few not so pure thoughts may have entered my head icon_twisted.gif

I am so glad! Lol! I was afraid it was just me ;-) 

cazza1 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:30am
post #24 of 25

Damn it just rained for all of 3 minutes, and quite heavily.  Not enough to do any good.  Just enough to rocket the humidity.  I had just flooded my bickies too.  Last time I played with bickies the humidity was really high and the dry on wet technique ended up looking like wet on wet. I'll be POd if this happens again tomorrow.

cazza1 Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 9:31am
post #25 of 25

Anna you've got 58F, I've got 40C

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%