I Guess I'm "old School" - I Prefer Cupcakes Frosted To The Edges

Baking By SweetBunny Updated 4 Apr 2013 , 12:43pm by kimmisue2009

SweetBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBunny Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 4:48am
post #1 of 28

I just don't get this whole bit of putting more icing in the middle and leaving bare cake around the edge of a cupcake. To me, it doesn't look as appealing, it would make the cake dry out quicker, and it's more awkward to eat. Does anyone know if the practice originally started with mass-produced cupcakes, or with designers who thought it looked better?

Granted, some say if you ice too close to the wrapper it's messy to eat. Okay, I can sort of agree there. A small margin or something might be acceptable. But it seems like if this trend of avoiding icing the edges continues, we're going to have icing blobs the size of a quarter in diameter - might as well just make muffins instead of cupcakes and skip the icing altogether! icon_sad.gif

27 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:27am
post #2 of 28

Cuz it's pretty? I don't want a quarter sized dollop either, but when I think of a cupcake iced all the way to the wrapper, it just makes me think of home made style where it's slathered on with a butter knife. :D

SweetBunny Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 28

So you're saying it's a "professional" vs. "amateur" look thing? If so, though, it must be still a switch from the old way, since I used to see bakery cupcakes iced to the edges and now they're more the "blob in the middle" style. I was thinking perhaps they were iced by machine instead of by hand. Then I see more "artisan" cupcakes iced that way too and I'm going "chicken or egg" - where did the trend originate?

To me, it doesn't add to the aesthetic appeal to have "naked cake" sticking out. thumbsdown.gif Here's my brainstorm for a compromise:  Take a smaller tip (whether plain or patterned) and run a circle of icing right up near the edge but not touching the paper if the idea of the icing touching the paper doesn't seem right, then cover the rest more generously with icing using whatever piping technique suits.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 28

I certainly bucked that trend, and had the same thought of it drying out, and just looking stupid! Since I used to use crisco (bleah) and now I use butter, my icing is really expensive, so I try to keep it economical too, but I always liked it to the edge, but I let a little cake peek out so that the icing doesn't touch each-other in the box.  

Nothing stupider looking than a 4" tall pile of icing a quarter in diameter with a fondant disc on top...

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 28

I must be pretty out of it, which is weird, since I make 75% of my income from cupcakes, lol.

I have never seen a cupcake for sale that had a 'blob' of icing in the middle and a wide ring around the outside of naked cake.

I always have a small ring, otherwise you can't take the liner off without getting frosting on your fingers, and they smear when boxed.

I would imagine a bakery selling tiny blobs of icing would be to save money though, not for 'style'.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 28

AI'm with you op! A small margin looks good. A disembodied blob of icing in totally different proportions from the cupcake=ridiculous.

Annabakescakes Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 12:11am
post #7 of 28

I found one! 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 12:25am
post #8 of 28

AThat looks stupid.

AZCouture Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 12:29am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I found one! 

I can't say I like that either.

AZCouture Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 12:30am
post #10 of 28

Maybe you should show us an example OP. I'm having a hard time finding the offending cupcakes that you speak of. 

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:06am
post #11 of 28
Quote:

I found one! 

It looks like a fancy yellow turd.

If that is what the op is referring to, I agree, that looks ridiculous.

TiffRaeh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffRaeh Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 1:52am
post #12 of 28

not a fan...this looks cheaply made and like they were in a hurry....i like it a little fuller with a smaller ring around the edge as well.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:07am
post #14 of 28

For home bakers (or perhaps for pros, I don't know) I thinkthe wide margins are to make the cupcakes easier to deal with in the plastic packaging boxes.You can set them in the little sections of the boxes and ice your swirl right there, so if went over the edges, it would make it more difficult (messier) to remove from the tray.. I've done this often when I'm doing 300-400 cupcakes at once for an event,but I'm still kinda partial to the old swirl it all the way around with a kitchen knife technique.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 11:42am
post #15 of 28

Oh I like the look of that 1st one, I don't like too much icing on a cupcakes.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

Oh I like the look of that 1st one, I don't like too much icing on a cupcakes.

I don't get it... The pile of icing is taller than the cake, how is that not too much?

And how would you eat it?  If I were handed one of the first ones, I would knock all but the first row of icing into the can, then use my spoon to squish it across the top of the cupcake. Then eat it. 

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 2:32pm
post #17 of 28

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I don't get it... The pile of icing is taller than the cake, how is that not too much?

And how would you eat it?  If I were handed one of the first ones, I would knock all but the first row of icing into the can, then use my spoon to squish it across the top of the cupcake. Then eat it. 

That's the same height of cupcakes swirls that usually go around the entire surface of the cupcake!

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredSaffron 

That's the same height of cupcakes swirls that usually go around the entire surface of the cupcake!

I suppose you're right! I doubt do my cupcakes that way, either. I use a 2D and do a single rosette. I still scrape most of it off, but it looks pretty for my clients ;-) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:

And how would you eat it?   

• peel off the wrapper

• break the cupcake in half horizontally--so you have a cupcake top that is iced and a cupcake bottom that has no icing

• place the cupcake bottom on top of the icing-- cut side down onto the icing

so you got:

cake

icing

cake

• squish down

• eat
  • icon_biggrin.gif
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 7:55pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

• peel off the wrapper

• break the cupcake in half horizontally--so you have a cupcake top that is iced and a cupcake bottom that has no icing

• place the cupcake bottom on top of the icing-- cut side down onto the icing

so you got:

cake

icing

cake

• squish down

• eat
  • icon_biggrin.gif

How wide does your mouth open? Lol! And that wouldn't work with mine, since 99% of my cupcakes are filled. 

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:

How wide does your mouth open? Lol! And that wouldn't work with mine, since 99% of my cupcakes are filled. 

hehe, I had a groom-to-be at a tasting try to do that. Poor guy, he thought he was being really clever, apparently he'd found a youtube video that said that was how 'pros' eat their cupcakes...
Anyway, he ended up with filling all over his hands and face.

Annabakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 8:29pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

hehe, I had a groom-to-be at a tasting try to do that. Poor guy, he thought he was being really clever, apparently he'd found a youtube video that said that was how 'pros' eat their cupcakes...
Anyway, he ended up with filling all over his hands and face.

Haha! My mom is a priss and eats her cupcakes like that... I was dying when she tried it with one of my chocolate cream cheese cupcakes. It dribbled down her shirt! First time I ever saw her messy in my life, I loved it ;-) 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:19pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

apparently he'd found a youtube video that said that was how 'pros' eat their cupcakes...

Buddy's sister, Mary, demonstrated that on the show.  (It's the only brilliant thing I've ever learned from watching it... too bad it wasn't something from the pro Boss decorator!)

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 10:40pm
post #24 of 28

I tried to find the Buddy video but found this instead!

Letty38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letty38 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:53am
post #25 of 28

AI leave a little edge for easier packing as mentioned above... Here's an example of mine. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2969351/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 6:08am
post #26 of 28
Quote:

I don't get it... The pile of icing is taller than the cake, how is that not too much?    lollllllllllll

And how would you eat it?  

One would inhale it through ones nose lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll,

If I were handed one of the first ones, I would knock all but the first row of icing into the can, then use my spoon to squish it across the top of the cupcake. Then eat it. 

Indeed - the only way to eat it .............without inhaling it.

Bluehue

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:17pm
post #27 of 28

I think it depends on the cupcake, for a traditional vanilla or chocolate, I like a decent size swirl of icing, almost to the edge (need to leave a bit of room so your fingers don't get all sticky, the box doesn't become a mess, etc.). I also think the spreading with a knife look makes it less professional. I pipe all of my cupcakes that are buttercream. For ganache, I dip them so they come out smooth.

For certain flavors though, a large amount of icing just doesn't work. I've attached an example - this was a pumpkin pecan cupcake with a very rich maple cream cheese frosting. Any more frosting and it would have been way too heavy. A little dollop was the perfect amount.

large_image_cake_pumpkin.png

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:43pm
post #28 of 28

I once heard that pizza was like s*x - there is no bad, just some is better than others.  I think this is also true for cuppies.  Never met one I didnt like. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%