How Do I Promote My New Cake Business From Home?

Business By rachelb86 Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 4:45pm by morganchampagne

rachelb86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelb86 Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 2:15am
post #1 of 47

hello everyone! i have just started my own cake business from home.  i just got my website up and have business cards made but i dont know the best way to promote it other than making up sample cupcakes and bringing them to businesses with my cards? ive been looking for upcoming events in my area to participate in to spread the word but i havent seen any until late fall time.  im new to this area so i dont know many people and where i previously lived i knew everyone and thats how i got the business i did, but im now making it an offical business.  does anyone have any ideas on how to promote my business besides my website.  i know it would be easier to have a store-front shop but im not in a position financially yet. any ideas that maybe have worked for you or others? thanks:)

46 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:33am
post #2 of 47

AWhere are you located, what are your competitive advantages, and who are you targeting? What is your monthly budget for advertising?

There are many different ways to promote your business, but your ROI will vary greatly depending on your business and your market.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 47

AOh you should advertise on Craigslist! And be sure to donate a huge spead for a local event ...for free! Then, find a client with lots of friends who wants a big huge intricate cake. Do it for free & she'll sen all her friends to you!!

^^complete sarcasm!! Those never really work.

As Jason said, a lot depends on your target market. You'll want to build a portfolio if you don't already have one. You'll also want to optimize your site for searchablity.

What did you previously that worked?

bakingghurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingghurl Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 47

Hi,

I am a newbie, but, here are some suggestions:

- if you want to make use of technology and less on cash try Social Media

-----> twitter, facebook  (also try checking out the features of meetup.com - find a group, network/make friends and promote your business)

-----> blogging is another way

------> online flyers/forms/advertisement via ADOBE FORMS CENTRAL ( first 50 forms/flyers are free) you can email to your current clientele and new possible clientele, the interactive design environment is user friendly, streamlined, clean and simple (of course, additional features comes with additional cost) -- its like the digital version of traditional flyer-marketing-strategy.

------> e-mail marketing services (such as constant contact  and the likes)

- there's also the standard/traditional way (which still holds it grounds in this age of technology)

--------> word of mouth, friend network, business or organization networks etc.

--------> providing a calling card after every business meeting, discussion, consultation, or after every purchase

---------> advertisements on your products packaging or your business transportation or certain merchandise

------------> media marketing

hopefully this helps you out in some ways.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 47

Google how to write a press release and send it to your local daily newspaper.  Having them do a spread with some photos on the great new custom cake bakery will get some local buzz going with your name.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 47

A

Original message sent by Baker_Rose

Google how to write a press release and send it to your local daily newspaper.  Having them do a spread with some photos on the great new custom cake bakery will get some local buzz going with your name.

This would only work if your customers still read the newspaper.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 47

Agree with the newspaper part. Depending on where you are located, people do read the local newspaper. I was featured close to Valentine's Day, and had a big spread with pics etc. My phone was ringing for the next 3-4 days and I did 11 orders on Valentine's Day.

Since Easter is coming up, maybe you can make something related to Easter and have the newspaper feature you with the pics so you get some orders for Easter. Also do make a Facebook page and network with all the other local businesses in your area who are on Facebook.

Make sure to post pics regularly on your website and FB page. If you are looking to do wedding cakes, make dummy wedding cakes for practice and pictures and post those online as well. 

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 47

AI think a lot also depends on what audience you want to reach. A lot of my business is from kids parties, so I've left multiple cards and a few look books with businesses that do kids parties. I also connected with my town parent and child association and will be part of their coupon book for members, and friends have posted in local interest groups for me. I've also put cards on bulletin boards at local dance studios, gymnastic academies, etc. Think about who you want your customers to be and where they frequent.

One word of caution though, make sure you are properly licensed/permits in order if your town requires it. I've heard it's the advertising that often alerts the board of health to unregistered home bakers.

cakeiseverythin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeiseverythin Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 4:49am
post #9 of 47

I like the meetup idea @bakingghurl suggested. I will also add Instagram to the list of free publicity. Here you have to take advantage of the hashtags though. After you post the picture, post the theme in hashtag: #cake #baking #business #love #follow <-- make sure you hashtag your state, city and nearby territories as well to make your post local. That way if someone is searching for what's going on in your area, they can see your cakes. 

Instagram just made it possible for people to send you direct private messages which is a great asset.

______________________________________________________________________________________

www.cakeiseverything.com

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 2:41am
post #10 of 47

I looked at your profile, but didn't see any pictures posted.  Your skill level will also determine where you should market.

If you've got tip top skills, seek out wealthier areas/businesses/opportunities who may be willing/more able to pay for your level of service.

How busy do you want to be?  I have a website, FB page, and have posted my info on free party sites.  I have been doing cakes for around 10 years, have taken breaks to have babies.  Have 4 kids, so I don't want to be too busy.  I only do a few cakes a month and that is fine with me. 

I send out quotes, many don't go with me because of the cost.  Those that do, love my cakes and have become repeat customers.   I am over being offended that people don't choose me, I am not willing to lower my prices.

And I quit doing charity events as an advertising strategy because they are just that....I don't remember ever getting a booking from those, despite people raving about the cake.

I did a bridal show in an mediocre area and I may (can't be certain) have gotten one order, even though most people told me they liked my cakes the best out of all of the other cake vendors there.  Also did a mall bridal show....that was a waste.  Lots of free cake given out to FAMILIES cruising the mall and not a lot of brides.  I did get a communion cake out of that!  Not worth the price of admission!

Word of mouth is my best option, as are repeat customers.  I don't do ANY formal advertising but could surely ramp up my biz if I wanted to....right now it's just not really an option.  When I do, I will be going to bridal shows in the more exclusive events in my area.

Sorry to go on talking about ME...I guess my point is that you need to figure out what you want to get out of it.  Full-time, part-time, "paid hobby"? 

If you rely on this for a lot of income, you will have to be more aggressive, of course.  And that can be hard being new to an area.  Seek/Chat up local business owners in related fields...caterers, DJ, party planners, florist, etc.  Meet with them, if they are willing.  Take them samples and business cards.

Good luck!!  Let us know how it goes.

BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:15am
post #11 of 47

LOL!  I tried to edit my post so it wasn't so "all about me"....it didn't save.  Not doing it again.  Sorry about that.  I don't talk to many adults and when I get the chance I go all Super Babble on everyone!

My apologies.  Just giving you my 2 cents.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 47

I agree, a lot depends on your target customer.

I think putting business cards up on bulletin boards at local businesses works really well, as well as flyers and such.  Do you have a newsletter in your neighborhood?  That works well too!  and of course, like everyone else said, facebook and twitter.  Post every single cake you do!

elfmmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elfmmf Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 47

Facebook. Facebook. Facebook. Post pics of cakes you have made on Facebook, like and share. People will message you! Free and powerful. Started a "business page" and this is a little annoying with the restrictions, but hey, it is free! Best Wishes!

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

I looked at your profile, but didn't see any pictures posted.  Your skill level will also determine where you should market.

If you've got tip top skills, seek out wealthier areas/businesses/opportunities who may be willing/more able to pay for your level of service.

How busy do you want to be?  I have a website, FB page, and have posted my info on free party sites.  I have been doing cakes for around 10 years, have taken breaks to have babies.  Have 4 kids, so I don't want to be too busy.  I only do a few cakes a month and that is fine with me. 

I send out quotes, many don't go with me because of the cost.  Those that do, love my cakes and have become repeat customers.   I am over being offended that people don't choose me, I am not willing to lower my prices.

And I quit doing charity events as an advertising strategy because they are just that....I don't remember ever getting a booking from those, despite people raving about the cake.

I did a bridal show in an mediocre area and I may (can't be certain) have gotten one order, even though most people told me they liked my cakes the best out of all of the other cake vendors there.  Also did a mall bridal show....that was a waste.  Lots of free cake given out to FAMILIES cruising the mall and not a lot of brides.  I did get a communion cake out of that!  Not worth the price of admission!

Word of mouth is my best option, as are repeat customers.  I don't do ANY formal advertising but could surely ramp up my biz if I wanted to....right now it's just not really an option.  When I do, I will be going to bridal shows in the more exclusive events in my area.

Sorry to go on talking about ME...I guess my point is that you need to figure out what you want to get out of it.  Full-time, part-time, "paid hobby"? 

If you rely on this for a lot of income, you will have to be more aggressive, of course.  And that can be hard being new to an area.  Seek/Chat up local business owners in related fields...caterers, DJ, party planners, florist, etc.  Meet with them, if they are willing.  Take them samples and business cards.

Good luck!!  Let us know how it goes.

For me, the web page and FB page are working nicely. I do have business card that I hand out and stickers with my logo to put on my boxes. I am not looking to take in too many clients, as I do have a full time job and three children. It's more of a hobby for me, but I enjoy offering to people as well. The first time someone didn't go with me because of my pricing, it hurt a bit, but then I realized in the grand scheme...I'm not looking to support myself. Nor am I looking to put all the time into my cakes for free either. And I also don't want to be rushed because I have too many cakes to make. If I do a few cakes or less a month, I'm happy. 

BeesKnees578 Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 4:06am
post #15 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandraDee73 

For me, the web page and FB page are working nicely. I do have business card that I hand out and stickers with my logo to put on my boxes. I am not looking to take in too many clients, as I do have a full time job and three children. It's more of a hobby for me, but I enjoy offering to people as well. The first time someone didn't go with me because of my pricing, it hurt a bit, but then I realized in the grand scheme...I'm not looking to support myself. Nor am I looking to put all the time into my cakes for free either. And I also don't want to be rushed because I have too many cakes to make. If I do a few cakes or less a month, I'm happy. 

Sounds like we are in the same boat!  I am always afraid to put myself out there!  I have this idea (although probably a false idea) that I will get too many requests and will be afraid to say no.  Which is crazy  because I have NO PROBLEM saying no now, when I am not too busy!  lol

Good luck w/ your biz!

hyuN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hyuN Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 6:05am
post #16 of 47

i'm facing this same problem as well..i need some advice and help too..

Newcakebaker_2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 5:10pm
post #17 of 47

AOk im in the same situation and March will be my first month that I have 5 cakes. I also work full tome so 5 is a decent amount for me. Recently my husband started helping me promote at his work which has led to 2 of the cakes. Also my aunt o redered one a few weeks ago and I recieved 2 additional orders from other people she knows. Word of mouth is really good as well as facebook. Also you have to be willing to talk and the more you put yourself out there the better! Maybe find someone that knows a decent amount of people in the community provide a cake for. Just be ready when you start getting orders!!

kimberly31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberly31 Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 47

I am new here but a great way to advertise is to donate your products at local fundraisers. Most look for baskets or baked goods. Put together a few platters with your cards. Local Libraries and schools have them throughout the year. It has worked wonders for me.

pattipoo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattipoo12 Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 7:15pm
post #19 of 47

It depends on which state that you live in.  I had my county license and was making cakes and advertising by word of mouth and had business cards made. I thought that I was OK.  I made a cake for a cancer fund raiser and another cake maker reported me to the health department.Turns out I was not OK.  I was told when the man from the local Health Department called me, that I could travel 100 miles to one of the universities in my state and take an all day course offered by the Department of Agriculture and the cost is $100.00 and receive my "Domestic Kitchen License", then the Department of Agriculture would inspect my kitchen.  Or, I could remodel my kitchen in my home, which required that the kitchen be totally closed off from all other rooms with a door going into the other rooms. No living area can be included in the kitchen area.  This was impossible because my kitchen and living room are separated by an island bar and the ceilings are vaulted.  If I had the kitchen closed off and made it into a commercial kitchen I had to have a 3 compartment sink, a separate hand washing sink.  I would also have to have a utility sink for moping in a separate room and a designated bathroom with an automatic door closure.  I wanted to stay in business, so I started looking for a place to rent.  My husband said, the logical thing to do is to turn our garage into a commercial kitchen. I didn't want to, but then I asked myself, why should I spend thousands of dollars fixing up some one else property and paying rent and if I had no business that month, I would have to pay rent and the least expensive place, which was I hate to say, a dump was $750.00 per month. My decision then was to turn my garage into a full commercial kitchen.  So, I checked on what I should do.  First I had to go to the zoning department for my county, get permission to have a business in my home.  I got that approved.  Then I had to submit to the Health Department my plans for my kitchen, got that approved.  Then the "fun" began. I got my county license, which was $15.00, then I had to get my state license which was $212.00 and then I spent thousands of dollars getting my commercial kitchen in place.  I now am legal, have had my full commercial kitchen in place for almost a year.  I have been inspected by the health department on several occasions, you don't know when they are going to show up.  I have always received a score of 100.  I feel truly sorry for the cake decorator that reported me that she is so insecure that she felt that she had to do such a bad thing.  I know of others who do what I was doing and I say, more power to you. Cake decorating is an art and if you can share your art with others, go for it. I am now catering full wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, preparing meals for couples and families. got in with some businesses and doing catering on a regular basis for them, AND I am baking and selling cakes, pies, cupcakes, cake pops, etc!!.  I have a good client base built up and I am staying very busy.  I can advertise in the newspaper and telephone book, which I do. I have a new 2013 van for delivery and catering.  So ladies, all that I can say is, just be careful as to where you sell or donate your cakes.  But my final words are "HAPPY BAKING" and good luck!

josweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josweetbaker Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 10:11pm
post #20 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachelb86 

hello everyone! i have just started my own cake business from home.  i just got my website up and have business cards made but i dont know the best way to promote it other than making up sample cupcakes and bringing them to businesses with my cards? ive been looking for upcoming events in my area to participate in to spread the word but i havent seen any until late fall time.  im new to this area so i dont know many people and where i previously lived i knew everyone and thats how i got the business i did, but im now making it an offical business.  does anyone have any ideas on how to promote my business besides my website.  i know it would be easier to have a store-front shop but im not in a position financially yet. any ideas that maybe have worked for you or others? thanks:)

Just a thought:  Make jumbo cupcakes, the gourmet kind, and bring business cards to "wedding specific" business' (bridal shops, tuxedo shops, etc).  Bring business cards and cupcakes to the chosen locations and that will get your foot in the door.  You will have more of a start than you can handle.  I don't give much free away, but this is worth the effort.  jo

josweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josweetbaker Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 10:15pm
post #21 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattipoo12 

It depends on which state that you live in.  I had my county license and was making cakes and advertising by word of mouth and had business cards made. I thought that I was OK.  I made a cake for a cancer fund raiser and another cake maker reported me to the health department.Turns out I was not OK.  I was told when the man from the local Health Department called me, that I could travel 100 miles to one of the universities in my state and take an all day course offered by the Department of Agriculture and the cost is $100.00 and receive my "Domestic Kitchen License", then the Department of Agriculture would inspect my kitchen.  Or, I could remodel my kitchen in my home, which required that the kitchen be totally closed off from all other rooms with a door going into the other rooms. No living area can be included in the kitchen area.  This was impossible because my kitchen and living room are separated by an island bar and the ceilings are vaulted.  If I had the kitchen closed off and made it into a commercial kitchen I had to have a 3 compartment sink, a separate hand washing sink.  I would also have to have a utility sink for moping in a separate room and a designated bathroom with an automatic door closure.  I wanted to stay in business, so I started looking for a place to rent.  My husband said, the logical thing to do is to turn our garage into a commercial kitchen. I didn't want to, but then I asked myself, why should I spend thousands of dollars fixing up some one else property and paying rent and if I had no business that month, I would have to pay rent and the least expensive place, which was I hate to say, a dump was $750.00 per month. My decision then was to turn my garage into a full commercial kitchen.  So, I checked on what I should do.  First I had to go to the zoning department for my county, get permission to have a business in my home.  I got that approved.  Then I had to submit to the Health Department my plans for my kitchen, got that approved.  Then the "fun" began. I got my county license, which was $15.00, then I had to get my state license which was $212.00 and then I spent thousands of dollars getting my commercial kitchen in place.  I now am legal, have had my full commercial kitchen in place for almost a year.  I have been inspected by the health department on several occasions, you don't know when they are going to show up.  I have always received a score of 100.  I feel truly sorry for the cake decorator that reported me that she is so insecure that she felt that she had to do such a bad thing.  I know of others who do what I was doing and I say, more power to you. Cake decorating is an art and if you can share your art with others, go for it. I am now catering full wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, preparing meals for couples and families. got in with some businesses and doing catering on a regular basis for them, AND I am baking and selling cakes, pies, cupcakes, cake pops, etc!!.  I have a good client base built up and I am staying very busy.  I can advertise in the newspaper and telephone book, which I do. I have a new 2013 van for delivery and catering.  So ladies, all that I can say is, just be careful as to where you sell or donate your cakes.  But my final words are "HAPPY BAKING" and good luck!

Sounds like "that person" did you a big favor.  You have more than enough business. good luck jo

pattipoo12 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 12:57pm
post #22 of 47

Thank you, yes, she actually did.  My husband says he is proud of me that I cam back with a vengeance. The joke was even more on her, because I was planning on closing my business temporarily because I hurt my back while catering for a car dealership.  I had 20 pounds of BBQ sliding out of the refrigerator and I twisted to catch it, in doing so, I twisted a vertebra in my back.  I had shots, took pills and did everything that I knew to do.  My last resort was surgery. So I scheduled my surgery thinking that I would be out of business for about 3 months.  WRONG!! The damage was really bad, I lost the use of my left leg, when the surgeon pulled everything back into place from left to center, it weakened my left leg so badly that I lost the use of it.  I was on a walker and then a can for over a year.   When I started my business back up, my clients were so happy to have me back that my business took off again.  It has been continuing to rise and I am very busy.  I hardly have a day off, I love it, but sometimes I get tired and just think, "If I could just have a couple of days off", then I get a call for an order and I am up and going again.  It is like a shot in the arm and away I go.   I suppose it is like that when you enjoy making other people happy with your talent.  I love to cook and have passed this on to my daughter, she helps me and I have some other ladies and my husband

that help when it comes to catering. I am all alone with the cake decorating because I am the only one that can do that.  But, we just participated in a bridal show and my husband baked the cake that we used for samples and he made the icing.  I had to thicken it up a bit but he did a great job.  :-)I am proud of him!  I got a booking from it and it was a Belk Department Store in the Mall and I didn't have to pay to participate.  After the show, I sold my demo cake, which was made fresh the day before and I also sold all of my left over candy. I tried to give it to the lady, but she insisted on paying for it. Thanks again and good luck to you!!

ugcjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugcjill Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 5:55pm
post #23 of 47

Quote:

I don't think the other cake baker was so insecure that he or she reported you and did "such a bad thing", I think they knew the expense and time it takes to run a legally operating food production facility and was put off by an illegal bakery showing up with the appearance of a legitimate business.

I'm sure that was interpreted as being rude, but now that you are on the legal side of things and going through the processes and regulations required in this industry, you will probably come to feel more like the baker you are currently upset with.

No corporation would hesitate to shut down an illegal competitor, I wouldn't hesitate either. We're not all in this together. It's a business... nothing personal.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 6:54pm
post #24 of 47

AAgree with ugcjill.

Since when is reporting an illegal business a bad thing? Reporting illegal businesses actually has nothing to do with jealousy or being insecure.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 7:12pm
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot   Since when is reporting an illegal business a bad thing?  

When someone owns an illegal business they find it a despicable act of legality.

pattipoo12 Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 9:28pm
post #26 of 47

I thought that I was legal.  I called the Health Department and told the man what I was doing, the set up that I had and I was ready for him to come and inspect my kitchen. He asked me if I was going to be making over a certain amount each year, I can't remember now how much he stated.  I told him that I wished, but that no I would not be making that much, that I would only be working part-time at this.  He said that he did not need to come and inspect my kitchen that I had my license and was good to go. So I took him at his word and proceeded with my part time baking.  I am sorry that I don't feel the way that you do, when I am too busy to fulfill an order, I gladly call another cake maker and pass the business on to them.  The other cake decorator reported some other people there as well to see if they were legal and had their license.  Some did and some didn't.  I don't know what her motive was, nor do I care.  I do not advocate anything illegal, but I can assure you that not every cake maker-decorator out there has his or her license and has a full legal commercial kitchen.  Some consider it as a hobby.  Correct, it isn't legal but they are out there doing their thing.  Maybe they have their domestic kitchen license, maybe not, I am not their judge and jury.  I am not going to pry into other peoples business.  I have enough to keep me busy and I don't have time to check out every cake decorator to see if they are legal.  I am proud of the kitchen that I have and the business that I have built. It has cost me several thousand dollars and I probably won't get back the money that I have invested, but  I am doing what I enjoy. 

Phaedramax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phaedramax Posted 6 Mar 2014 , 10:22pm
post #27 of 47

Do you have a food service license to do from your home? If not you better be careful.They will fine you big bucks.Believe me someone WILL turn you in.

mrsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsv Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 2:25pm
post #28 of 47

AOhio has a great cottage business law to encourage home based businesses, because great things start at home. Maybe once your children are grown, or sooner as your client list grows, you'll take the next step and rent a storefront. I moved to a new area and considered opening a bakery then I met 2 women business owners. One had a little bake shop for sale in what i thought was an ideal location and my heart leaped. Over a coffee and a cookie i learned she was crazy bitter about even opening the shop every day because she had apparently only made money the first 5 of 10 years and was blowing through her retirement savings to stay afloat. The second woman owns a primitives shop, tells her husband she's going to go play when she leaves for work and spends her off time at shows around the tri state to buy more for the shop. She's a retired teacher, her husband is still working, helps in the shop and she's completely happy. I don't see much leaving the shop so I don't think its a great money maker but she absolutely loves it and the bakeshop woman hates the store, the customers and the business with a passion. Those two made me step back and really consider my finances and my goals. My 1st grandchild is due in 2 weeks, I'm planning flowers and cakes and spending $$$ for another daughters wedding in july thats 200 miles away and we retired last year so we're adjusting to a much lower income. This is obviously not the right time to start a new business and I thank God for sending me the not so happy bakery owner and Ohio for the cottage law that lets me move toward my business at my own pace!

pattipoo12 Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 3:19pm
post #29 of 47

Yes, I have my county and state license, the department of health come by periodically and inspects me just as they do restaurants, my score is always 100.  I have a full commercial kitchen set up as the health department guide lines suggests.  I am registered with the department of revenue and pay sales tax and I report my income to my accountant. who in turn reports to the IRS.  I am fully legal!!  In my state you can get a "cottage law" or "domestic kitchen" license, but I wanted to have a full blown business and did not want to wear out my personal kitchen. I have also taken courses in food handling and contamination.  Our state is getting ready to have a mandatory class, in depth, on food cross contamination and I plan on being in the first class.  I abide by the rules and if others don't then when they are caught they can pay the price.  I do not make copyright cakes as some other do, which is as I understand a $250,000 fine.  I have many 5 star ratings and many excellent reviews for my business and I have a good business, which I am proud of having. I jumped through all of the hoops and did everything to the letter to have a legal commercial business!!!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:10pm
post #30 of 47
Quote:

... I have many 5 star ratings and many excellent reviews for my business and I have a good business, which I am proud of having. I jumped through all of the hoops and did everything to the letter to have a legal commercial business!!!!

I am so impressed with your energy and commitment! Congratulations, it's not easy being in business...You're an inspiration!! Please share your business info (business name, website, and Facebook pages) we'd love to see them!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%