Cake Pops & Paper Straws?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 26 Aug 2013 , 8:36pm by caitling4

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 7 Mar 2013 , 1:11am
post #1 of 6

AI'm making cake pops in a few weeks for a friend's baby shower. To add some extra cuteness I picked up some pretty paper straws to use instead of the usual sticks. My plan is to make the pops earlier in the week then freeze for a few days till I need to leave for the long trip to the party (out of state). Do you think this will work out OK?

I need to make the cake pops early because I'm also doing a cake for the party, so I need that extra time later in the week. Normally if I were to make cake pops I would do them the day before the party, but I am afraid they won't make it that long. I have found in the past any longer than a day or 2 the moisture from the pops will bleed into the sticks and cause discoloration.

5 replies
CiNoRi Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 5:09am
post #2 of 6

AAnyone?

Kima920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kima920 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 6

You are right with the discoloration. You can maybe make up the cake pop mix early and freeze that then dipped them with the straws closer to the party... You can also make your cake pop mix with butter instead of oil and that will help with discoloration on the straws. 

CiNoRi Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

AMaking them up completely, early in the week is the only time I have. The later part of the week will be cake prep and a days drive. Plus I won't have access to a kitchen once I leave home.. That week will be nuts

I'll try the butter idea though.

Thanks

rkarina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkarina25 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 6

Agree with the butter idea. You probably dont need to freeze the pops either, it might cause them to sweat later when they are going back to room temperature, if they are wrapped in plastic bags you really wouldnt want that to happen, doesnt look too nice.. But good luck with the work load thumbs_up.gif

caitling4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caitling4 Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 6

I'm nervous about this same problem with an upcoming baby shower.  Did you paper straws discolor because you made the cake pops early?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%