Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 2 Aug 2014 , 3:14pm by gscout73

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 16 May 2013 , 3:23pm
post #241 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

I have a question relevant to this thread.  Does marshmallow fondant tend to be less smooth than normal fondant or is this just a measure of practice?

I've never used anything but MMF, and I think mine look as good as many using the bought stuff.  When I first started I had no clue where to buy the pre-made fondant.  Then I tasted a sample that a professioal baker had and swore I wouldn't ever use anything that chemical tasting on any cake I baked. 

I think the problems when you see seriously flawed MMF lie in a failure to understand the effects of humidity (the amount of water needs to be adjusted accordingly) and the refusal to add shortening (yes, its a fat and on its own it tastes pretty bad, but it has its uses (try a heaping tablespoon of ANY ingredient on its own and see how it tastes).  And then there is the need to practice, practice, practise. . . . .  .and then practise some more.

I need to get caught up, but I saw this in my email and wanted to add in addition to grease, try a heaping tablespoon of vanilla extract or cinnamon on it's own, if you need a good way to cut caloric intake, AFTER you have already eaten it, if you know what I mean!!! lol!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:07am
post #242 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropalma 

I made this cakes last weekend for my grand daughter's 4th Birthday.  She saw it on the internet so I had to duplicate it.  All the decorations are made of MMF and frosting and piping is Buttercream.

ropalma, cute cake! I found your cake in your gallery but it will be a lot easier for people to leave you comments if you post a link to it here instead of attaching the picture.

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:52am
post #243 of 768

AHello All. I've been following this thread and have a couple pictures I'd like some feedback on. I realize I'm not quite to the level of most the people posting which is why I've been hesitant to post anything. But here it goes... Thanks in advance for your critiques!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3009500/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

And one more...

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3009501/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

(I know, I need to find a clean background for my photos!)

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 17 May 2013 , 2:09am
post #244 of 768

Ok I just did a Nurse Graduation cake--I found the design on here and the internet (so not sure who originally came up with it) I think I did pretty good with it--had a lot of fun atleast.  I used MMF for the first time in a long time cause I ran out of Satin Ice. Would love Peer Reviews thought on it and what I could different or better!  Thanks in advance!!!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3009512/a/3351132/nurse-graduation-cake/

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 17 May 2013 , 12:42pm
post #245 of 768

AElcee thank you for the comment. I have been at this less than a year and I am working on getting consistent pressure when decorating with buttercream. Also new to this site...how do I get a link into the posted message?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 17 May 2013 , 12:58pm
post #246 of 768

Thanks everyone on the info about MMF.  I don't intend making it as marshmallows are expensive where I live but I was curious.

ropalma if you bring up your photo you can copy the address and then paste it into this thread.

NoraCowen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoraCowen Posted 18 May 2013 , 6:08pm
post #247 of 768

I'd like to be a part of this group.  I'm just starting out and would like some suggestions/advice on my cakes.

NoraCowen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoraCowen Posted 18 May 2013 , 7:00pm
post #248 of 768

Here is the link to my cake http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3351749/mickey-mouse-clubhouse-cake/.  Hope I did this right.  I'd like to know what everyone thinks.  I couldn't get it as smooth as I would have liked and not sure what I need to do next time.  I iced it in buttercream first...  It tasted great and everyone seemed to enjoy it I just could see all the little imperfections.  Thanks for the feedback.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:53pm
post #250 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropalma 

Elcee thank you for the comment. I have been at this less than a year and I am working on getting consistent pressure when decorating with buttercream. Also new to this site...how do I get a link into the posted message?

My piping isn't anywhere near where it should be icon_sad.gif.I find it helps with consistency to count when piping a border...squeeze, 1, 2, release. Is that silly? Should I have not admitted that in a public forum icon_wink.gif?

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 18 May 2013 , 10:46pm
post #251 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

My piping isn't anywhere near where it should be icon_sad.gif.I find it helps with consistency to count when piping a border...squeeze, 1, 2, release. Is that silly? Should I have not admitted that in a public forum icon_wink.gif?

OMG!!  I do that too!  HAHAHA

Elcee Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:20am
post #252 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemommy2012 

OMG!!  I do that too!  HAHAHA

Oh, whew! icon_lol.gif

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 21 May 2013 , 3:49am
post #253 of 768
Quote:

yeah!  i had time to do a review!  

keepingitreal21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 7:07pm
post #254 of 768

Ok, so I haven't been to visit the peer club in a minute...shame, shame, I know. Well I just finished a cake for my son's birthday. I posted it already but figured I'd put it up for review. I know you all will see all the flaws I see and more. I love that you will be honest and let me know what I can do better next time. TIA and TFL. I am happy with how it turned out for the most part...but I fought with this cake a lot along it's journey to fruition. I learned a lot and you all will help me learn even more. I did have fun making it since I was on my own timeline and no pressure.  I decided to try Satin Ice on this cake since it was only for my family. I didn't enjoy working with it but that's for another post. I ended up switching back to Fondarific for the top due to all the cracking from Satin Ice. Thanks again!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3039096/i-wanted-to-give-my-son-a-meaningful-wow-cake-for-his-15th-birthday-i-chose-the-viola-since-its-his-instrument-of-choice-in-advanced-orchestra-everything-is-edible-even-the-strings-its-a-red-velvet-key-lime-cake-with-imbc/

JudyR83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepingitreal21 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 3:52pm
post #256 of 768

Where is everybody?

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 4:28pm
post #257 of 768

A

Original message sent by keepingitreal21

Where is everybody?

Finishing cakes & delivering them.

Thursday-Sunday is very busy for most decorators.

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 4:42pm
post #258 of 768

AMe too.

keepingitreal21 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:01pm
post #259 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Finishing cakes & delivering them.

Thursday-Sunday is very busy for most decorators.

That makes perfect sense! icon_biggrin.gif I remember those days.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 5:31pm
post #260 of 768

AKeeping it, finally had a chance to look at the photo. I posted on a thread where you posted this same photo. It is really amazing with great detail. I realize I just repeated myself. Didn't really have anything critical to add.

keepingitreal21 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:13pm
post #261 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Keeping it, finally had a chance to look at the photo. I posted on a thread where you posted this same photo. It is really amazing with great detail. I realize I just repeated myself. Didn't really have anything critical to add.

Yes, I saw you're post on my post. I thanked you as well. You are one of the few decorators I just adore on here and look to for advice. So I was really humbled that you took the time to stop by my little post and that you loved it. When I grow up I want to be just like you all! LOL!

I just remembered the PRCC, so I brought it on over for those with the really critical eyes. Thanks again!

Elcee Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:21pm
post #262 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 

Where is everybody?

keepingitreal21, I'm hesitant to critique your cake. It's so good that anything I have to say would be really nit-picking. icon_biggrin.gif

keepingitreal21 Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 7:43pm
post #263 of 768
Quote:

keepingitreal21, I'm hesitant to critique your cake. It's so good that anything I have to say would be really nit-picking. icon_biggrin.gif

Please, nit-pick away...that's why I put it up for you guys. The nit-picking is what makes us better decorators right? It's the smallest details that you make catch that I didn't . I  know the board is one that bothered me. I wanted the black matte background. However, the matte finish was not grease or spill-proof, so I hate all of the little stains.

Homemadebytz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemadebytz Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 1:41am
post #264 of 768

I am a newbie so its hard to find anything wrong with something so lovely as your viola, great job in my opinion ;) 

Elcee Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 2:17am
post #265 of 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingitreal21 

Please, nit-pick away...that's why I put it up for you guys. The nit-picking is what makes us better decorators right? It's the smallest details that you make catch that I didn't . I  know the board is one that bothered me. I wanted the black matte background. However, the matte finish was not grease or spill-proof, so I hate all of the little stains.

OK, I commented on your cake icon_smile.gif.

keepingitreal21 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 2:43am
post #266 of 768
Quote:

OK, I commented on your cake icon_smile.gif.

Thank you so very much Elcee!I do have the clear contact paper but seem to get a shine from it when I use it with darker boards. Maybe with better lighting and not having to use the flash on my camera. I didn't even try that this time but I will next time. Either way, the stains drove me crazy, so I'd rather have a stain-free board than the matte finish...lol! As for the shine, I will have to try the corn syrup and vodka. I've never come across that before. Again, thanks so much. See, I learned something new...I love you guys!thumbs_up.gif

DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 11:23am
post #267 of 768

A

Original message sent by keepingitreal21

You are one of the few decorators I just adore on here and look to for advice. . When I grow up I want to be just like you all! LOL!

*blink blink*. Me? Now I feel all Sally Field. And honored.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 13 Jul 2013 , 11:19pm
post #269 of 768

thank you elcee for your feedback!

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 12:45am
post #270 of 768

Ok so I'm still on page 4 and figure I better post now so that I actually get in! lol

Here is mine

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3054018/a/3376368/25inch-tall-ice-cream-theme-cake-fondant-covered-cone-and-buttercream-frosting/sort/display_order/

Ok so yes I know the back drop sucked I had literally 10minutes to shoot this before the customer picked it up. I'm working on getting a standard backdrop.

Other than that have at it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%