Anyone Ever Traded A Cake For A Service?

Business By bittersweety Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 1:49pm by tracyaem

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 18

hey all,

Silly question, and NO i haven't done this, but have any of you ever traded a pricey cake for a service? And before you get the wrong idea (wink wink) the only reason i mentioned this is because my husband and I will be building our own house starting this spring, so in order to save money we have been trading some work (my husband is an electrician) and I had thought if a couple came in for a wedding tasting or something and during chit chat, should it happen to come up that one of them had a beneficial skill, like a hardwood floor installer, or a brick layer or something, i wonder if i could trade them for their cake... ? :)  i doubt i will do this, it just crossed my mind and it got me thinking :)  so.....anyone?

17 replies
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 18

I have to admit and I know I will be blasted for this but yes I have traded services . I needed a cold pastry display and I had ran out of funds in my budget for such things. So I traded for one and I could not be happier about it.I of course do not make it a habit or I would be out of business but I have done it the once and I am a contract paperwork person so I made sure it was on paper what transpired .

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 18

In order for it to work you need to be very specific about what services you will be trading and the value of each of the services.  Get it in writing and have both parties sign it.  Otherwise you can end up with someone feeling like they got the short end of the stick.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweety 

hey all,

Silly question, and NO i haven't done this, but have any of you ever traded a pricey cake for a service? And before you get the wrong idea (wink wink) the only reason i mentioned this is because my husband and I will be building our own house starting this spring, so in order to save money we have been trading some work (my husband is an electrician) and I had thought if a couple came in for a wedding tasting or something and during chit chat, should it happen to come up that one of them had a beneficial skill, like a hardwood floor installer, or a brick layer or something, i wonder if i could trade them for their cake... ? :)  i doubt i will do this, it just crossed my mind and it got me thinking :)  so.....anyone?

All the time! (...but only with friends - not strangers). To be fair Northern Ireland is a bit stuck in the past and there's a lot of 'favour owing' about so maybe that's why the behaviour persists....

but on a purely economics front it's win-win: providing a service (making a cake) is a cost (time, ingredients, gas, electric...), normally you accept mney to compensate you for that cost, this money is then taxed and the remainder you spend on hiring a builder.....

However if you receive another service in return (builder), that service will 'cost' the builder less than you could hire them for. So long as the time you spent making the cake is worth less to you than the money it would cost you to hire a builder you both win.

Contractually it would be a nightmare as 'freeloader theory' expects your builder never to 'pay up' or to do a terrible job since they're losing out on 'real' money (which is why I only trade with trusted friends - plus it stops the beggers asking for discount! icon_lol.gif)

'''''''''''''bbbrrring'''''''''''''''''' ooh that's the scool bell - lesson over - except you vgcea - its detention for you for pulling faces.........

Didn't mean to lecture lol - hope it helps you understand the pros and cons tho!!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 18

I trade cupcakes for salsa all the time. My friend makes the absolute best salsa and they love my cupcakes. So there you go...

I read that people who use bartering websites can really benefit. A printer in Pittsburgh earned enough credits to send his kid to a really good college.

I'd do it, in a minute!

jen

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 18

AI can't ever find any local bartering websites! When we built our bakery, it was bare studs with no insulation or drywall, and I was poking around Facebook and saw a friend of mine worked for a dry wall company that was named "her last name drywall" so I put the offer out there, and they accepted. It did take a frigging month for them to do it all, when it was a 4 day job, but they got 5 $100 cakes out if it.

We bought the drywall but they used their own tools and mud, and did a BEAUTIFUL job!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 18

A

Original message sent by cakesbycathy

In order for it to work you need to be very specific about what services you will be trading and the value of each of the services.  Get it in writing and have both parties sign it.  Otherwise you can end up with someone feeling like they got the short end of the stick.

This. You will also need documentation of the value of the services you receive for tax purposes, since you will owe income tax on the fair market value of the bartered service just as if you were paid with cash.

Note that fair market value is higher than the cost to the person providing the bartered service, so be sure you are both bartering based on FMV and not cost.

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 18

hmmm good to know!  maybe i'll start poking around to find some good deals!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 18

craigslist does have a bartering page.

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

craigslist does have a bartering page.

Yeah, but it is still Craigslist ;-P

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 18

cupcakes pay for my monthly hair salon visits :)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 18

I just started trading my cake for babysitting from one of my girlfriends!  She's a social butterfly so is always needing this or that dessert to bring to functions.  A few times ago she's like, hey, how about some babysitting for a cake?  I'm like, fistpump awesomesauce!  We agreed that each $10 in cake = 1 hour of babysitting.  Win=win.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

cupcakes pay for my monthly hair salon visits :)

I would totally do that.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 3:45am
post #14 of 18

I traded cakes for photography at a party I hosted last summer. I ended up getting the cake picture of my little career so far icon_wink.gif.  I'd definitely do more bartering if I could!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:00am
post #15 of 18

Years ago I traded a Christening Cake for babysitting with my regular babysitter.  We agreed on the price for the cake and took it from there.

Annabakescakes Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:21am
post #16 of 18

I will mention (so no one gets the impression that it is all roses) that I traded the Wilton Castle cake for a bunch of baby items. The playpen was a disgrace! There was no way I was ever going to stick my kid in there, even if I strapped it to the roof of my car and drove it through a car wash about 15 times, it would still be nasty! I had to throw it out! I have never been one to abuse the play pen, anyway, so mine were only in them if I had to run the laundry downstairs, or go potty. By the looks of it, hers lived and ate and pottied in it. And she never brought my castle pieces back to me, and her deposit check bounced, it was from a closed account icon_mad.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:41am
post #17 of 18

We have a local company called Executive One which is a bartering exchange.  I "sell" to other members then that money goes into an account.  I can then spend that money at any place in the group - and there are TONS!  I'm getting married this month and this is paying for the limo, about half the flowers, and our hotel in Hawaii (as they also connect with other agencies).  The very best part is it *feels* (yes I know it's not) like free money!  I also get my oil changes, pizzas, locksmithing... the list goes on and on.  I highly recommend bartering!

Of course if you are doing it person-to-person (as I am with my DJ who is not involved in the group) make sure you both charge the regular rate and have it spelled out on paper what you are doing so no one is left with the short end of the stick. 

Bartering can also result in additional cash flow!  For example my DJ will likely use a good portion of his credit doing business promotion items (logo cookies at bridal fairs or whatever) and then I get my name out there for those additional products as well.

Did I mention I love bartering?

ps. going through the agency, they track all the sales and send me tax forms for them so that part is made easy.

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 1:49pm
post #18 of 18

I trade cake for advertising and my tax preparation! A woman from my mommy group runs a local website/e-newsletter that is geared towards parents in the area. She runs my ad and I give her and her business partner 2 birthday cakes/year (yes, I specified the value of the cakes to be provided!). And my sister-in-law is a CPA so she does my taxes in exchange for 2 cakes/year for her kids birthdays. That's a straight-up win for me since I would have done their cakes for free anyway :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%