Refrigerating Fondant Covered Cakes.

Decorating By flydesign Updated 5 Mar 2013 , 5:35pm by LaSombra

flydesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flydesign Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 4

AI've tried placing a fondant covered cake in the fridge once and it ended up having water spots after it came back to room temp. I've since haven't done it again and been fine. But is it possible to have it in a fridge for a day and maybe have it in a plastic cake cover box or plastic wrap on it to prevent the condensation from happening again?:smile:

3 replies
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 4

I copied and pasted this from another post about the same question. I was curious too ;)

Yes, you can put a fondant cake in the refrigerator. If you don't have to don't. But if you do, put it in a box first and then cover the box with plastic wrap or a garbage bag and then put in the fridge. When you take it out take the bag off but let it come to room temp while in the box. It's the humidity that causes the condensation. But even that dries after it's been out for a bit. I don't cover my cakes with fondant, but I do use a lot of fondant detail and I really haven't had a problem with it being in the fridge. I keep mine in there because I use all butter BC and I like to keep it hardened.

And you should never put any kind of cake in a refrigerator that has strong odors! I use my garage refrigerator. It stays fairly empty and nothing in it has any odors. HTH!

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 4

Oh and make sure there is no onions and such or the cake will taste like that food that is in the fridge.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

Oh and make sure there is no onions and such or the cake will taste like that food that is in the fridge.

yeah, onion-flavored fondant doesn't sound too appetizing. >.<

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%