Carton Egg Whites - Carton Says 3/4 Cup = 4 Egg Whites But 4 Egg Whites Should Weigh 4 Oz Which Is Much Less!!!

Decorating By AlicesMadBatter Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 6:25am by KoryAK

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 3:59am
post #1 of 3

Now that I have started weighing my ingredients when I bake I am actually running into some confusion over egg whites.  The recipe I was using was the King Arthur Flour tender vanilla cake. Very similar to Sweetapolita's fluffy vanilla cake. Both are delicious.  First time making the King Arthur recipe I measured 4 egg whites plus one egg using carton egg whites. Carton says 4 egg whites = 3/4 cup.  But when weighing 4 oz of egg whites which is what 4 egg whites is suppose to weigh it is far less than 3/4 cup.    Anyone notice this?

And then tonight I made a recipe that calls for egg whites using the carton eggs and the recipe fell in the middle slightly and browned on top before being totally done in the middle. Made the same exact recipe a few days ago using real egg whites and had no problems. They domed slightly and came out perfect.  I want to say it is the egg whites but I have never noticed a discrepency in my baking when using the carton eggs before. Anyone ever have problems with them? I use them to elliminate wasting the yolks of fresh eggs, because I never end up making anything with them. 

2 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 3

It depends what type of liquid egg white you are using.. One type is purely egg white, another may include a preservative/conservative like citric acid, while another may have citric acid and a thickener like xanthan gum ... it all depends what you are buying ..

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:25am
post #3 of 3

Yep.  One time my assistant over whipped the egg whites for our chiffon cake (hand separated) so I thought I'd be brilliant and just get some of the carton ones that we use for our SMBC.  Night and day results on the cake, and not in a good way! 

For the measurement, ignore what the carton says and go with what you know and already use.  If you are using "each" eggs, crack what you are used to then weigh it then repeat the weight using the carton eggs.  From there you can tell if that type is messing with your recipe (and not the measurement).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%