Buttermilk In Cake

Decorating By SonyaE Updated 10 Jan 2014 , 2:34am by -K8memphis

SonyaE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SonyaE Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 23

AHello, I'm sure this is a silly question but il last anyways! Does a cake with buttermilk need to be refrigerated? I'm pre making my cake layers and freezing them however may need to deliver my cake a day ahead of when it is needed so the cake will sit out for a day or two and I don't want the cake to go bad - it will be covered in fondant Thanks

22 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 23

If the buttermilk is baked into the cake (like using milk or cream or sour cream or any other dairy product) you don't handle the cake any differently. Now if dairy is added to the cake after baking like Tres leches then you need to refrigerate until you serve it.

SonyaE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SonyaE Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 23

AWonderful! Thank you! :)

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 23

Mmmmmm buttermilk. It's in ever single cake recipe I use. :)

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Mmmmmm buttermilk. It's in ever single cake recipe I use. :)

Don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone drank buttermilk on it's own? I use it for baking and like vgcea said, I don't refrigerate the cake unless it has a perishable filling.

But my boyfriend's dad was telling me that when he was younger he would drink a tall glass of buttermilk every day before he went to work. I can't stand the smell so I can't imagine drinking it! I love to bake with it though.

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 23

No, the thought makes my stomach turn! I love what it does for cakes, and I love the pungent aroma of well aged buttermilk (read--past date) but not to drink. I accidentally poured some in my coffee one morning (thinking it was half and half) and about gagged.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 23

I've never used buttermilk before in cakes. Do you use it instead of water? What makes it different? Richer cake? I'm always looking to try something different and I always find something here at CC. Thanks for any advice.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 23

I made some pancakes using buttermilk but they tasted awful! I can't imagine drinking it straight either. Yuck.

vgcea Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 23

Ewww! Can't imagine drinking it. I have a bit of a problem though, I NEVER finish a bottle of buttermilk before it expires and I have to throw it away. I've considered just making sour milk (1T vinegar in 1C milk) as needed rather than wasting money. Has any one of you successfully substituted sour milk? Did you notice any differences?

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Ewww! Can't imagine drinking it. I have a bit of a problem though, I NEVER finish a bottle of buttermilk before it expires and I have to throw it away. I've considered just making sour milk (1T vinegar in 1C milk) as needed rather than wasting money. Has any one of you successfully substituted sour milk? Did you notice any differences?

Nope. It gets better the older it gets, did you know that? I let mine go at least week past date. You would know if it was actually bad. 

vgcea Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:35pm
post #11 of 23

AZCouture that thing tastes so weird on its own I can't imagine it tasting any worse LOL.

AZCouture Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

AZCouture that thing tastes so weird on its own I can't imagine it tasting any worse LOL.

Oh I know, I couldn't bring myself to drink it, but I do love the smell of it! If it's chunky and smells bad (not tangy anymore), then it's time to GO! Barfo!

Onnesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onnesha Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 1:11pm
post #13 of 23

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower 

Don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone drank buttermilk on it's own? I use it for baking and like vgcea said, I don't refrigerate the cake unless it has a perishable filling.

But my boyfriend's dad was telling me that when he was younger he would drink a tall glass of buttermilk every day before he went to work. I can't stand the smell so I can't imagine drinking it! I love to bake with it though.

OH YES! In the Middle East, it's called laban and it's a very refreshing drink. A cold glass of laban keeps you hydrated and does amazing rejuvenating work on your body. Not kidding, I have it almost everyday after coming from school :D

LOVE IT :D

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonyaE 

Hello,
I'm sure this is a silly question but il last anyways! Does a cake with buttermilk need to be refrigerated? I'm pre making my cake layers and freezing them however may need to deliver my cake a day ahead of when it is needed so the cake will sit out for a day or two and I don't want the cake to go bad - it will be covered in fondant
Thanks

Do you need to refrigerate a cake with raw eggs and milk in it?  same diff.

but.....better safe than sorry....probably best that you did ask.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 1:01am
post #15 of 23

AAll my cakes have buttermilk in them, I always think that it adds to the keepability of the cake . Mine last at least three or more weeks and I never fridge my cakes.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 5:28am
post #16 of 23

My Mother used to drink buttermilk, and though I can't stand the taste myself I love the smell of it.  I do use it in most of my cake and bread recipes.  For the breads I use the powder, for cakes I always use the liquid.  When I don't think I'll use it all up before it might go bad I freeze it in one cup amounts in ziplock bags and move it to the fridge the night before I'll need it for baking.  I find that the milk/vinegar or milk/lemon juice doesn't have the same flavor as the real buttermilk and not quite the same texture either.

LIllybell23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LIllybell23 Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 23

@ ibeeflower I have always had it with corn bread crumbled in it.  Not a favorite of mine but a lot of my family loves it but we live in AR so we eat some strange things lol

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 10:34pm
post #18 of 23

AThere is a chef/baker over here that talks quite scientifically (best word I can come up with to describe ) called Angela Nilsen. There is a particular high sugar choc ganache cake she makes with buttermilk and she talks about why this is better than milk or water etc. can't remember the detail, which is fairly useless of me, but the book I'm thinking of is 'the ultimate cookbook' but it's fairly old so I assume her stuff is blogged on the net somewhere now . Probably useless info, but might help someone. Btw that choc ganache cake recipe is to die for.

LIllybell23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LIllybell23 Posted 9 Jan 2014 , 11:17pm
post #19 of 23

I think the acid in the buttermilk reacts with the baking soda so it either helps it rise or helps it not fall but I can't remember which...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 12:26am
post #20 of 23

the big fancy word for what buttermilk offers in terms of making better cake batters is that it has phopholipids--it's a molecule which helps the fats and liquids bond--

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 12:46am
post #21 of 23

oops i mean phospholipids--there's an s in there

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 2:32am
post #22 of 23

I was getting a phonetic  FOO FOO LIPIDS there.........:)   that's funny.

if it helps fats and liquids get along, then it probably is a little foo foo.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 2:34am
post #23 of 23

foofoo is my cat's nickname--bunny foofoo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%