Hi Ratio Shortening???

Decorating By sianpa22 Updated 5 Mar 2013 , 1:38am by silverdragon997

sianpa22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sianpa22 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:00am
post #1 of 5

i know this is probably on here some where but i can't seem to find the right answer..

i've read that sweetex is one of the best known hi ratio shortenings out there. but i live in California and can not find it here. i did on the other hand find a shortening from Smart and Final that has 2.5g of trans fat per serving in it. will this work for a "hi ratio" buttercream or is there something else in the hi ratio brands out there other than the trans fat. i know crsico doesn't work as well anymore because they've taken out the trans fat in it.

thanks for any help/info on this. =)

4 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:12am
post #2 of 5

Hi-Ratio shortening has emulsifiers. There is hi-ratio shortening with and without trans fat. I think California banned the regular trans fat one, that may be why you can't find it. I'll let the Californians confirm that. The emulsifiers in Hi-Ratio shortening allow it to hold more liquid which is why it is used for hi-ratio cakes (along with cake flour) because those cakes tend to have significantly higher amount of sugar and liquids compared to regular cake recipes.

I've read here that folks who use hi-ratio shortening in BC that calls for regular shortening find that they use less hi-ratio shortening, again because it can handle a higher amount of liquids and sugar than regular shortening. 

I only use SMBC so sorry can't really speak concerning whether it would work. Hope the above information helps a little though.

Edit to clarify: Trans fat is not what separates hi ratio from regular shortening. It's the presence of emulsifiers that makes it different.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 5

AYou can still use high ratio shortening with trans fat in CA for personal use, you just can't sell anything with ingredients that have >0.5g of trans fat per serving. If the package does not say high ratio, it is not high ratio shortening even if it has 2.5g of trans fat.

Check local cake decorating supply stores, they should have small blocks of high ratio shortening. If no one in LA has it in stock you can try Calico Cake Shop in Buena Park, we just picked some up there last week.

sianpa22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sianpa22 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 5

AThank you for info... So I'm guessing the answer to my question would be no. The First Street brand of veg shortening will not work the same as a hi ratio shortening. I found a cake supplier that sells this stuff, so I will be trying out this weekend. THANKS!!!

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 1:38am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianpa22 

Thank you for info... So I'm guessing the answer to my question would be no. The First Street brand of veg shortening will not work the same as a hi ratio shortening. I found a cake supplier that sells this stuff, so I will be trying out this weekend. THANKS!!!

There is a place called Kake Kreations in Canoga Park that carries high ratio shortening.  I believe the last time I bought it there it was $2.49 for 1 lb.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%