Does Anyone Have A Great Scratch Spice Cake Recipe, Please?

Baking By kathik Updated 3 Mar 2013 , 11:18pm by kathik

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I am looking for a really good "plain" spice cake recipe.  Not apple spice or pumpkin spice, just spice cake. I usually just use a modified cake mix for this, but I am trying to get more into scratch baking and spice cake is one of my hubby's favorites. icon_smile.gif Please share your tried and true recipe.

Thanks all,

Kathi

5 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 6

I know you asked for a tried & true recipe but I recently came across this one and it has a lot of good reviews.  If you want to try it, you can find the recipe at http://food52.com/recipes/1846-faulknerian-family-spice-cake-with-caramel-icing

kathik Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 12:06am
post #3 of 6

TY Goreti.  I will keep it as reference, in case I don't get other responses or want to try a number of them!

Kathi

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 12:10am
post #4 of 6

I posted a recipe here on CC for Moravian Spice Cake.  The spice taste isn't overpowering and it make great cupcakes, too.

Chessiebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chessiebakes Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:28am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreti 

I know you asked for a tried & true recipe but I recently came across this one and it has a lot of good reviews.  If you want to try it, you can find the recipe at http://food52.com/recipes/1846-faulknerian-family-spice-cake-with-caramel-icing

This recipe is awesome.  You can read my story about it on my first post. icon_lol.gif

kathik Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks jgifford.  I will check it out.  Chessiebakes, that is a great story.  I will be sure to try this cake only with AP flour, not SR flour!

Thanks,

Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%