Can You Freeze Cake Pops After Dipping?

Baking By decocake15 Updated 17 Mar 2013 , 4:11pm by Toptier

decocake15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decocake15 Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am making cake pops for the first time. I am using Wilton Candy Melts. Are you able to freeze the cake pops AFTER you dip them in the melted chocolate or will they crack? PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

4 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 12:07am
post #2 of 5

Definitely don't freeze after dipping.  They'll crack and you'll have the whole condensation issue to deal with.  Since they're sealed when you dip them, they'll be fine at room temperature for at least a week.

decocake15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
decocake15 Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 12:55am
post #3 of 5

thank you very much!

tohimibelong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tohimibelong Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:47am
post #4 of 5

I didn't think they could be frozen either, until recently, I  met a lady selling them at a local street fair, she had a ton of them, all differnt shapes.  She told me she stores them in the freezer. She said they could be kept there for  a couple months.  So, a couple weeks ago I decided to give it a shot. I made a batch of 36 cake pops dipped in white candy coating and sprinkled with oreo cookies. I put each cake pop in it's own bag and then placed them in a freezer safe container. I have taken some out of the freezer on a few different occaisions since then and they have been great. No cracking at all. This was just my first time freezing them, but I can't imagine that it will be any differnt next time I do it. If you are worried about them cracking just put a couple in the freezer to see how it works out for you. Hope this helps.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 17 Mar 2013 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 5

Yes I do freeze cake pops time to time however I use real chocolate that has to be tempered and I've found that this doesn't crack nearly as much as candy melts.  I have found that sudden temp changes will cause cracking so you never want to go from room temp to freezer, always refrigerate in between and also when thawing the pops.  Wrap them really well and keep the wrapping on during thawing to prevent condensation issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%