What's A Good, Agreeable Frosting Flavor To Pair With This Cake? (Help!!!!!!!!)

Baking By amypiac Updated 12 Mar 2013 , 2:24pm by bittersweety

amypiac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amypiac Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 17

Hey guys, I need some input. (That is... HELP!!!)

I'm planning on making a butter recipe cake. I keep second-guessing everything else though (standard).

My original plan was to fill it with a light chocolate mousse (between the layers), cover the entire thing in a milk chocolate ganache (made from dairy milk chocolate), and top it with a strawberry-banana buttercream frosting.

Now I'm second-guessing the flavor of the frosting. I know so many people love strawberry-banana... But I'm not sure how it will go with the chocolates and butter recipe. Then I considered pineapple, and now my mind is thinking maple. It needs to appeal to a group of 15-25 people, so something that a majority likes = better.

I need the frosting to be as close to white as possible because I will be piping pastel purple, yellow and pink roses.

I definitely want to stay away from any coffee-type flavors and I don't want a basic chocolate frosting (because of the colors I need).

So what do you guys think? Suggestions? Past experience? Please help!

16 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 17

What's wrong with vanilla? It goes great with chocolate! 

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 17

Honestly, I would completely nix the butter cream idea and do a whipped white chocolate ganache.

The only flavour that sounds good with milk chocolate to me, is the strawberry, or like kiki said, just vanilla.

I know bananas go with chocolate, but in my experience a lot of people really don't like them.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 17

Definitely a no on the banana. Strawberry sounds good, but wouldn't be white! White chocolate buttercream sounds best.

amypiac Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 3:47am
post #5 of 17

I honestly cannot stand vanilla buttercream LOL

I nixed the strawberry-banana because of the banana. I feel it might just be too risky.

How do you guys feel about a subtle lemon? I absolutely adore it and have made many things, including a lemon buttercream before.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 4:47am
post #6 of 17

Milk chocolate and lemon will be kind of an iffy combo for some people.

Go with something that's popular, it doesn't mean it has to be boring.

Salted caramel, white chocolate, raspberry, and chai go really well with chocolate.

Coconut, orange, almond, mint, and ginger are all good as well, but might not be as popular.

With the fact that you want to keep it white, I would go with white chocolate. You have butter cake and chocolate mousse, those are nice rich components with clean flavours, an artificially flavoured butter cream is going to stand out like a sore thumb, imo.

Most people love a good vanilla bean buttercream, so that's another good option, it doesn't really matter if you like it, if you aren't eating it. lol

kikiandkyle Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 5:09am
post #7 of 17

Mint and orange go well with chocolate, and could be achieved without color. Better to go with one of these than using an artificial flavor to keep it white. Or you could change your design? The white chocolate is also a great idea. 

amypiac Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 17

A

Original message sent by scrumdiddlycakes

Milk chocolate and lemon will be kind of an iffy combo for some people. Go with something that's popular, it doesn't mean it has to be boring. Salted caramel, white chocolate, raspberry, and chai go really well with chocolate. Coconut, orange, almond, mint, and ginger are all good as well, but might not be as popular.

With the fact that you want to keep it white, I would go with white chocolate. You have butter cake and chocolate mousse, those are nice rich components with clean flavours, an artificially flavoured butter cream is going to stand out like a sore thumb, imo.

Most people love a good vanilla bean buttercream, so that's another good option, it doesn't really matter if you like it, if you aren't eating it. lol

Actually, I will be eating it, and a handful of the intended guests also have said vanilla buttercream is a little much lol I considered the white chocolate actually, but I'm really intrigued by the lemon! I'm making a small test cake version, so I'm going to give it a whirl. I nixed the butter recipe and am going to use a basic moist white and flavor the center of the three layers lemon too. If its too much, I will definitely go with the white chocolate :-) thank you!

amypiac Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 17

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Mint and orange go well with chocolate, and could be achieved without color. Better to go with one of these than using an artificial flavor to keep it white. Or you could change your design? The white chocolate is also a great idea. 

The orange sounds delicious!im going to try the lemon (it comes out white, I've used it before for piping) on a test cake and see how it works with the chocolate. Otherwise I'm going to try the white chocolate idea! Thank you :-)

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 17

Strawberry-banana sounds really gross. I'd go with orange or sour cherry.

Oops, sorry - cherry and orange are both out - grated orange zest and/or cherries will alter the colour.

Your choices are really going to be limited if you want white icing.

kikiandkyle Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:02am
post #11 of 17

Lemon and milk chocolate just aren't known as going together. I would have someone else taste your tester cake before going ahead. Lemon would go well with white chocolate though. 

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:37am
post #12 of 17

Lemon and chocolate, a definite no.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:48am
post #13 of 17

What about coconut frosting with the chocolate?

amypiac Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 1:58am
post #14 of 17

A

Original message sent by JWinslow

What about coconut frosting with the chocolate?

I could see that being a good combination, but I know coconut is not a favorite (or even a like) amongst the intended audience :-/ But thank you!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 2:15am
post #15 of 17

Well, what about a very light peppermint.  Kinda risky.  It can be become overpowering quickly but choc. & peppermint - YUM!

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 11 Mar 2013 , 8:32am
post #16 of 17

I say coconut or rum! Or both!

bittersweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bittersweety Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 2:24pm
post #17 of 17

almond? that goes well with chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%