Looking For Help For Using A Cake Dummie

Decorating By Sara1029 Updated 4 Mar 2013 , 4:21pm by Sammy09

Sara1029 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara1029 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 7

I have a friend that I work with ask if I would make a cake for her wedding. They just want it to cut into and for show but does not want to pay a lot. She also wants a big cake.

I was thinking of doing a 4 tier cake with the bottom two layers being cake dummies. Here's the thing though, I have never used them. She doesn't want any fondant on the cake they will be cutting into so i will be doing just butter cream.

From what I have read regarding cake dummies, most people cover the dummies in fondant. Can I do just butter cream on the dummie?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!

6 replies
SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, you can cover a cake in buttercream. I've never had a problem with that. :) I don't do anything differently. Just apply and decorate as normal. You don't really need to put it in the fridge to set up but you can if you want. I left one out at a summer wedding and it didn't even flinch. Stayed nice and formed. Good luck!

Sara1029 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to trying this. love trying new things. After the wedding is over, am I able to reuse the dummies? Or do you have to throw them away?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 7

Given the nature of a cake dummy (i.e., it isn't food), you could just as well cover it in Hydrocal (or plaster-of-Paris, or latex caulk, or water-putty, or any number of other substances that set up inert. . . .) and then have something you could display in your shop window indefinitely.icon_biggrin.gif

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 3 Mar 2013 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, you can reuse them over and over. Just peel the fondant off and wash in the sink. Let it dry and decorate again :)

Sara1029 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 7

Sounds good! thanks for all your help! :) I cant wait to try using them!

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 4 Mar 2013 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 7

AI covered mine with contact shelf liner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%