Cake Supplies

Business By LEMONTREECAKES Updated 6 Mar 2013 , 4:47pm by LEMONTREECAKES

LEMONTREECAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEMONTREECAKES Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:34am
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone,

Being new to the cake business here in the UK can anyone suggest a website or place where i could buy things like Satin ribbons and cake supplies in bulk?

any help you can give me is highly appreciated.

14 replies
GixxerChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GixxerChick Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 15

Google "cake decorating and supply".  In the UK, there are FAR more options than here in the US.

GixxerChick Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 15

...and just wondering, but aren't there any local Decorating supply stores you can visit??  I have nothing within 100 or more miles of me, but it seems every time I've looked, they're all over the UK.  Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to actually WALK into a store....instead of LOGGINING into one.    :)

CatherineM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineM Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 15

Hi Lemontreecakes,

I don't use a single supplier - different suppliers are good for different items - but have recently ordered from Cake Stuff and also from The Cake Decorating Company (Google for the exact web addresses, they're both .co.uk) and have found them to be pretty good. 

Lindy's cakes is also good for unusual bits and pieces.

Post if there's something specific you're looking for and I'll reply if I have a good source.

Squires Kitchen has a very good range but I find them quite expensive.

CatherineM Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 15

That's really interesting -  I always thought it was the other way round and you were better served in the US!  The other person's grass always looks greener? :)

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 15

I was going to post a similar question then saw this one...so I thought I would jump on here.

I love the Wilton's cupcake liners that look like flowers among other things they sell...is there a way to buy bulk or wholesale prices from them? 

& I have googled for cupcake boxes that include the cupcake holders and have come up empty handed...I found a place in Australia...LOL....but nothing in the states....Any leads? 

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Lisa

PS: I agree with GixxerChick....oh how I would love to find a store to walk into to purchase items, that way I know what it looks like for sure...nothing more terrible then ordering something and getting it and it isn't what you thought it was....LOL..

GixxerChick Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineM 

That's really interesting -  I always thought it was the other way round and you were better served in the US!  The other person's grass always looks greener? :)

Really??  As many times as I've googled and bookmarked cake supplies, I would say that at minimum, 80% are located in the UK.  I live right on the Mississippi River at the Iowa / Illinois border in what's referred to as the Quad Cities...a reasonably well populated group of cities(500k pop?)...and there are two places I can buy supplies.  Both Michael's Crafts and True Value Hardware(weird right?)   Each have one isle dedicated to WILTON supplies only.  Anything else, I have to order (There are 3 or 4 good US Suppliers that I use).  The Wilton school and store is about a 2 1/2 hour drive toward Chicago, but even still...Wilton only has so much as far as selection goes and personally I think their fondant, which tastes terrible, is also horrible for covering cakes.  The other thing I'd LOVE to have is a supscription to a cake magazine, but they are ALL published in the UK.  Please...if you know of any that are printed in the US let me know. 

GixxerChick Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by havealittle 

I was going to post a similar question then saw this one...so I thought I would jump on here.

I love the Wilton's cupcake liners that look like flowers among other things they sell...is there a way to buy bulk or wholesale prices from them? 

& I have googled for cupcake boxes that include the cupcake holders and have come up empty handed...I found a place in Australia...LOL....but nothing in the states....Any leads? 

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

Lisa

PS: I agree with GixxerChick....oh how I would love to find a store to walk into to purchase items, that way I know what it looks like for sure...nothing more terrible then ordering something and getting it and it isn't what you thought it was....LOL..

Try  www.countrykitchensa.com   I use them often and they DO have a fantastic selection of boxes and cupcake inserts.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 15

Yep, I sure do miss my cake supply stores from when I lived in the UK. I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and it's an hour north to Milwaukee, or an hour south to the other side of Chicago for the nearest one for me. It's probably better for my bank account that I'm not able to just walk in and be tempted by all the little bits and bobs though. Having to consider shipping costs keeps my online orders down too.

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 15

Oh thank you so much everyone. Isn't it funny I always feel there is much more option in the US. CatherineM I was looking to buy Satin ribbons in bulk. I looked at a few shops online but do not know if the ones on there are expensive or not. 

I have ordered from cake craft shop in the past and they are excellent on delivery, but just wanted to know if there was a wholesale supplier anywhere.

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 15

Hello CatherineM, thank you for your reply. Would you know anywhere I could buy satin ribbons from which were not too expensive?

havealittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havealittle Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 15

GixxerChick Thank you!

GixxerChick Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 1:31pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by havealittle 

GixxerChick Thank you!

You're welcome!  That site I linked also has lots of things in bulk.  I buy 50 pounds of confectioners sugar...you can get your satin ribbons in bulk packages too. (assuming you mean the edible kind)  I absolutely swear by them.  Quick delivery, very friendly and accomodating staff...and if they don't stock something...ask, they can usually get it for you.  Enjoy!

CatherineM Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 5:53pm
post #14 of 15

Hi Lemontreecakes,

I recently bought organza ribbon from carnmeal.com (in Cornwall or Devon, if I remember correctly), and they were very reasonable, with quick service.  I think they do satin too - it would be worth looking.  The roll size wasn't too huge either.

I also sometimes buy from Keylink.  They sell ribbons and lots of nice packaging, but are really more geared to chocolatiers.  Like many other trade suppliers, they charge quite a hefty delivery fee if your order falls below a certain level.

I bought some big rolls of ribbon (for edging cake boards and the like) from Midpac.co.uk.  They worked out at a very good rate per metre, but I think they came in 100m rolls which will take me decades to use up unless I suddenly expand my business hugely!  If you're buying ribbon on-line try and get them to send a sample before you buy a massive roll.  Some suppliers charge for this service but I think it's money well spent.

Finally (forgive me if this sounds obvious!!!), don't forget that most trade suppliers don't show the VAT on their advertised prices.  It gets added at the end and is charged on carriage too, so what seemed like a bargain at first may turn out to be less so...

Good luck with it - most of the businesses you find on-line are pretty good to deal with and (fingers crossed!), I've generally had excellent service from all the zillions of suppliers I've used.

LEMONTREECAKES Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 15

Oh CatherineM thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate it a lot :) x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%