What Do You Put Under The Fondant On A Dummy Cake?

Decorating By superstar Updated 2 Mar 2013 , 12:07am by debbyscake

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 15

I would love to hear some suggestions regarding an undercoat on a dummy cake that will make putting the fondant on easier. I have only ever tried piping gel????

14 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 15

I would like the answer to this question too. And can you scrape off the fondant after taking pictures, or just practicing, and use the dummy again and again?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 15

Lots of people use just plain old water.  Wet the dummy then cover with fondant.

My personal preference is a thin brushing of piping gel.

I know someone who uses slightly watered down boiled jam (cheaper than piping gel).

Yes, once you've finished with your dummy cake, you can take off the fondant and use it again!  In fact I have 4 wedding cake dummies that I'm in the process of doing that with.  After separating the tiers, I filled my kitchen sink with water and then left them to soak in there for a while.  That softened it enough for me to be able to slip a palette knife in between the fondant and the dummy.  It came off almost in one go!

On other occasions, I've put the covered dummy into the dish washer!!!!!  It comes off a treat! 

superstar Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:15am
post #4 of 15

I am laughing at the one that went into the dishwasher! I would never have thought of doing that!! Thanks Relznik! I love hearing what others use.

cookielvr13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielvr13 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:40am
post #5 of 15

AGood old H2O. I fill up a new spray bottle and spitz away.

If I'm not happy or want to start over I simply carve lines across the top of the dummy, mimicking cak.slices and peel them off

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:45am
post #6 of 15

I use watered down corn syrup, a bit easier to apply than piping gel, and costs pennies. I just brush it on with a pastry brush.

I don't usually reuse mine, simply because I can get them so cheaply, it's not worth the hassle, lol. I have just recovered a couple right over the first layer fondant though, lol. (I'm lazy)

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:46am
post #7 of 15

I use Copha - Aussie equivalent to Crisco

Makes removal pretty easy

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 1:41am
post #8 of 15

ACrisco

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 2:19am
post #9 of 15

ACrisco. And I usually forget to remove the fondant from my dummies for at least a couple of weeks, and I put it in a trash bag and lightly whack it with a mallet to crack it off. Easy peasy.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 2:22am
post #10 of 15

Good ol' Crisco.

superstar Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 15

It is so great to have CC & everyone who has such good ideas willing to share them!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 15

I will use cheap decorator icing, but I know it's not cost effective. I will need to try something different from now on. I do, however, wrap my dummy styrofoam tightly in plastic wrap before I coat it, then cover with fondant.

superstar Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 15

Good idea IAmPamCakes!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:25pm
post #14 of 15

Just a spritz of water.

debbyscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbyscake Posted 2 Mar 2013 , 12:07am
post #15 of 15

Yep! Just plain old water!