Fondant Flowing Over Tops Of Cakes

Decorating By tjgett Updated 1 Mar 2013 , 12:31am by scrumdiddlycakes

tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not even sure how to ask this question.  You know the cakes that have the fondant on the top, that look like frosting flowing down the sides? How do you do that and make it look natural?

6 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 7

I don't understand, sorry. Do you mean the piped rosettes?

Can you post a picture of what you mean?

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 7

Do you mean the cakes that look like ice cream melting down the sides?

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

I don't understand, sorry. Do you mean the piped rosettes?

Can you post a picture of what you mean?

I think what she means is the one that looks like you poured a glaze on the cake and it ran partly down the sides, but it's actually a piece of fondant that covers the top and comes down an inch or two all the way around, in uneven scallops, to look like flowing icing. Boy, I can picture exactly what she means, but it's hard to describe!

tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

I think what she means is the one that looks like you poured a glaze on the cake and it ran partly down the sides, but it's actually a piece of fondant that covers the top and comes down an inch or two all the way around, in uneven scallops, to look like flowing icing. Boy, I can picture exactly what she means, but it's hard to describe!

That's it!  How do you make it look perfect like that? (If I had the patience to upload a picture, I would, but I don't.)  It looks like fondant, but I guess that you have to have it scalloped perfectly before you put it on the cake, and when you put it on, it has to be in exactly the right position.  I was hoping there was an easy way to do that.  I'm not that perfect!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:03am
post #6 of 7

Are you talking about something like this, http://www.flickr.com/photos/jellycake/6560460983/

I've never done this, but I think I would make a circle (thicker than normal) of the "snow" fondant bigger than the top of the cake, put it on mostly centered, then trim around the bottom edge in whatever "scallop/wave pattern" you like with a knife or a pair of scissors. Once the edge is cut you can "massage" it to make a more rounded edge.

Just my 2 cents.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:31am
post #7 of 7

Ooh, I read it as frosting 'flowering' down the sides, not flowing, lol.

I cover the cake in fondant as usual, then cover with a smaller circle, then cut out the shape. If I want an even scallop edge, I use a stencil, or or something to trace to make sure it's even. Then buff the edges lightly to get rid of the sharp cut edges.

I also don't cut straight into the fondant, but just slightly upwards, so if I cut into the fondant underneath, you don't see the marks.

I have never had any luck with cutting it first, then putting it on, always stretches while I center it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%