Buttercream/fondant Question

Decorating By jess0055 Updated 1 Mar 2013 , 3:00am by cookielvr13

jess0055 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess0055 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 4:55am
post #1 of 12

AGood evening ladies,

my specialty is cupcakes. ive done cakes before but for myself/family, but nothing over the top.

Someone came up to me and asked me to do her son's 1st bday mickey mouse cake. it'll be 4 tiers (first time doing this) and she asked for chocolate butter cream filling and some of the tiers with strawberry filling (ill make the top ones like this).

my thing is that i wanted to make the bottom tiers first (as to fill , crumb coat, cover with fondant). My fridge is very small. i dont think i want to refrigerate anything (especially fondant, im too scared to be honest).

i was wondering if the chocolate buttercream, & the crumb coating plus fondant can last a few days outside the fridge?? I live in NY if it helps with the info, my house is usually 65-68 degrees.

TIA ladies for the informAtion. My name is Jess and i'm new to cakecentral :)

11 replies
jess0055 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 5:03am
post #2 of 12

AOh and she wants a "Vanilla" cake. if that helps. I always make my cakes/cupcakes from scratch. which i dont know if should keep doing this with this type of job? I'm a little confused, sorry ladies.

jess0055 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 12

ABueller??

cookielvr13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielvr13 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 12

Hi Jess!!

I am new too. I also live in NY and as strange as the weather has been lately, I wouldn't recommend leaving the cakes out. I recently had the same worry with leaving the cakes in the fridge covered in fondant. If humidity in NY was an issue I would probably advise against it. I don't see you having a problem leaving it in the fridge but you may want to use a bit of plastic wrap just in case after you have covered in fondant

Cakes from scratch are usually better when it comes to fondant because they tend to be denser and hold up better.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

jess0055 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 12

Athank you so muchfor replying cookie!!

My issue with the cake in the fridge is that it will stay there for about 2-3 days that i'll be working on them. Im concerned about the taste and "drying out" a bit.

it has happened with a couple of my vanilla cupcakes- the 3rd day the cake flavor seems to "dry out " a bit....any suggestions for that??

jess0055 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 12

AI'm also going to do a "practice" 3 tier cake in a couple of days. the event is in about 3 weeks, I want to prepare myself as much as I can.

cookielvr13 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 12

Hmmm ok yeah I can now better understand your worry.

Have you tried using simple syrup to moisten your cakes? This tends to be overlooked a lot by bakers but it has proven to be beneficial at times

Perhaps just a bit when you first bake the cakes and right before frosting for your crumb coat add a bit more.

Start with a small amount of simple syrup.  1 cup of sugar and enough water to make a consistency of "wet sand". Boil until the sugar dissolves and let stand. I would begin this about half way the cake being done.

Once you remove cake let cool for a few minutes then you can either brush or lightly pour the SS over the cake starting from the outside, working your way in towards the middle. Don't be afraid the cake will absorb all the syrup and be super moist.

Should you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I love to help people as much as I can. icon_wink.gif

cookielvr13 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 12

A[B][/B] Hi Jess I had replied earlier but for some reason it wouldn't go through.

I would suggest using simple syrup to keep the moistness of the cake for a few days.

This is often overlooked by some bakers but it's very helpful.

Start out w a cup of granulated sugar and enough water to develop a wet sand consistency.

Boil until the sugar has completely dissolved and set aside.

Once the cakes are baked and in the process of cooling, you have 2 choices:

Cut the tops of the cakes off while warm...

1. Using a food safe brush, generously brush the cakes w the simple syrup.

2. Pour the SS into a vessel and pour onto the cake in a circular motion. Working from the outside in towards the center.

The cake will absorb the SS.

You may wanna test this first.

I hope this helps

Feel free to ask if you should have any more?? 's.

jess0055 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:12am
post #9 of 12

AThank you! ill try the syrup on my practice cake and see how it goes. Fondant still sticks to the butter cream with the syrup right? ive never used that technique.

i'm used to doing a one-2 tier cake, but very simple. This cake is actually not difficult at all to make, Im just concerned with moistness?

thank you though and ill try that!

cookielvr13 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 12:34am
post #10 of 12

AYes. The cake will absorb the syrup. You should let it do so completely then crumb coat it accordingly

jess0055 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 2:59am
post #11 of 12

Athank you do much! you've been so helpful!

cookielvr13 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 3:00am
post #12 of 12

AAww you're welcome

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%