Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By car1979 Updated 27 Feb 2013 , 3:45pm by Spireite

car1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
car1979 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 10:37am
post #1 of 5

AMade my first batch of modelling chocolate last night using milk chocolate and golden syrup I'm in the uk when I took it out this morning it had white lumpy bits in it but most of them went away when moulding to shape is this normal or what have I done wrong ? it tastes better than fondant and I have to say fun to work with

4 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 5

AI can never get it to work with golden syrup, I just buy corn syrup from amazon or big tesco stores sometimes have it, the only other thing g that works for me is liquid glucose but it's way too expensive to use in any quantity :-)

Hope that helps, if you're not happy with yours as is the now try kneed g a little sugar paste in, it might help :-)

suzannem5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannem5 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 5

Sounds like it might have been the cocoa butter separating a little - it should knead back in again once you start to work with it.  What quantities of chocolate and syrup did you use?  I use equal amounts but I always use plain chocolate, have never tried it with milk chocolate so you might need a bit extra chocolate if using milk.

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 5

I have not tried making it with golden syrup yet, although it is on my to do list (less processed and better tasting than corn syrup), but from what I have read in tutorials, you can get some lumpy bits if there were little bits of chocolate that were not completely incorporated with the syrup. I haven't had this issue myself.  I tend to overmix and end up oily (letting it rest and kneading it well seems to cure that so far). I have read that people have had success using honey instead of corn syrup and that it gives a nice flavor. I have a hard time finding golden syrup here in the states except in a very small jar, so I will likely try honey next.

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBakes 

I have read that people have had success using honey instead of corn syrup and that it gives a nice flavor. I have a hard time finding golden syrup here in the states except in a very small jar, so I will likely try honey next.

It would never occur to me to substitute honey for the syrup...I'll have to bear that one in mind,  Thank you :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%