A Girl Orders Cake On Thursday For A Birthday On Saturday!

Business By Janani65 Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 12:44am by IAmPamCakes

Janani65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janani65 Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 14

I got a text from a girl last Thursday night, saying that she needs a 3D cake for her 26th birthday on Saturday. Then I asked her is this for this Saturday. She replied saying yes. I explained her that I cannot do a 3D cake in one day. Then she sent me a text saying can you do a 3 tier cake then.  

I don't know what she was thinking. My husband and I found it really funny. When I said no to that also, she asked what I can do. I'm really bad at saying no to people, so I said I can do a simple 8" cake. She wanted to see an example. Then I sent a picture of a buttercream rose cake and gave a quote double my usual price. Still she was up to it. Then I said I need the full amount before starting. 

She said she'll meet me next morning to give the money. However, following day we had a freezing rain and schools were closed. She said her children didn't go to school, so she will have to wait till evening until her fiance gets home. 

Then I took the opportunity and said that's too late for me and I can't do it. 

I wonder what she was up to. 

13 replies
Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 14

I think sometimes people do not realize that it does not happen as fast as it does on television.. With all of these cake shows coming out it makes it hard to explain to people that in reality this is not possible most times unless you have 4 people on one cake.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, people have no idea how much time and work go into making a cake.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 14

I can beat that....

a week or so ago, at ten to nine in the evening, my business phone rang.  As it was outside business hours, I just let the answerphone take it.  They didn't leave a message.

However, I heard from TWO  of my friends that they also received a phonecall around the same time.  One of my friends didn't answer, but the other one did (she only has a mobile phone, not a landline, so answered it out of habit!) 

A lady said she'd forgotten it was her son's birthday and could she order a cake to pick up at eleven or twelve o'clock?  My friend said, 'tomorrow morning?' and the customer said 'no, tonight!'.

icon_eek.gif  icon_eek.gif  icon_eek.gif

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 14

WHAT!!!!!! you have to be kidding me... some people lol

cakerbaker75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerbaker75 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 12:21am
post #6 of 14

That's a good time to say "there's a 24 hour Walmart down the street!!" lol, poor thing she forgot her sons birthday! maybe she thought you were a 24 hr bakery with already made cakes on hand!!!

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 12:59am
post #7 of 14

We have these calls all the time, people wanting cakes at the last minute.  We try and not work on Sunday because I need some rest from the orders and I had a lady call and was incredulous because we did not work on Sunday.  I think it so funny when clients call and want a 3 tier cake for 10 people.

Janani65 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 1:00am
post #8 of 14

That was a good one. I had another mom calling that her daughter's first birthday is on Sunday and she wanted a cake design idea and a quote. I thought child's first birthday is a grand event. 

EnchantingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnchantingCakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:01am
post #9 of 14

Yep I had one too....Phone call on a Wednesday night for a baby shower cake for the Saturday. It was a square tiffany box with bow AND with a pregnant fondant figure on top pushing a fondant pram and various other paraphernalia....I politely said I was fully booked :o/  No wonder there are so many who can't understand the price of a cake....they think its whipped up decorations and all in a couple hours....

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:15am
post #10 of 14

Ugh! I had a lady come 27 hours late to get her paid for cupcakes, but I had literally just sent them out the door with someone else, as I could not get a hold of her. I told her that if she cam back in half an hour, I could have them remade (frozen cupcakes, frozen filling, icing left over) and she says, "great, that's fine, or you could just make a cake."

smiley_ROFL.gif

Janani65 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 14

That's a good one. Those people makes me laugh! :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 14

AThis happened to us all the time...we decided to take advantage by baking a few 8" cakes with basic decorations and keeping them in the freezer. That way, when a customer wanted a cake for tomorrow, it was no problem as long as they were OK with vanilla/vanilla or chocolate/chocolate.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janani65 

I got a text from a girl last Thursday night, saying that she needs a 3D cake for her 26th birthday on Saturday. Then I asked her is this for this Saturday. She replied saying yes. I explained her that I cannot do a 3D cake in one day. Then she sent me a text saying can you do a 3 tier cake then.  

I don't know what she was thinking. My husband and I found it really funny. When I said no to that also, she asked what I can do. I'm really bad at saying no to people, so I said I can do a simple 8" cake. She wanted to see an example. Then I sent a picture of a buttercream rose cake and gave a quote double my usual price. Still she was up to it. Then I said I need the full amount before starting. 

She said she'll meet me next morning to give the money. However, following day we had a freezing rain and schools were closed. She said her children didn't go to school, so she will have to wait till evening until her fiance gets home. 

Then I took the opportunity and said that's too late for me and I can't do it. 

I wonder what she was up to. 

I sometimes wonder if people ever think about how much of a reality TV show is recorded before it's edited into a 30 minute program. Of course, if Charm City can make an extravagant cake in half an hour,  4 days should be enough for you! LOL 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 12:44am
post #14 of 14

AI used to get the attitude all the time about 'it's just cake, how hard can it be/how long can it take?' from certain extended family members. Then, one time, they wanted a cake I simply didn't have time for & got turned down. They ask nicely & with plenty of notice now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%