Textured Wave Frosting

Decorating By cla1104 Updated 25 Feb 2013 , 10:41pm by LeslieBruckman

cla1104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cla1104 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, I am doing a wedding cake, and this is what the bride has come up with.  Any ideas though on how to get the frosting (peanut butter) to get this perfect of a messy look?

I may be over thinking this, but I swirl and make waves, but just not this amount.  Any ideas greatly accepted!

6 replies
ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 7

Aare you sure you posted the right image? ;)

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleabrowncake 

are you sure you posted the right image? icon_wink.gif

Lmao too funny...it was a nice pic though.

cla1104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cla1104 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 7

YES, SO SORRY Totally posted the wrong picture.  Now how to delete the guys photo.....

ashleabrowncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleabrowncake Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 7

Abeautiful cake, I love the rustic-ness of the Hessian too. my suggestion would be using the back of a dessert or soup spoon to make the waves rather than a spatula or palette knife. I don't work with buttercream much, but i would chill it for a small amount of time once you had the cake covered and evened out (i think smoothing it totally would be pointless) I would let it harden just a little so you have a bit more resistance to get better ridges

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

I'm sure there are easier ways, but this is how I do it. Crumb coat, then a good thick coat of butter cream. Then I use a small off set spatula, and using a rocking back and forth sort of motion with my wrist, I create the 'swoops' in it. Now and then adding some more frosting just to add to the texture.

I don't refrigerate, except for the crumb coat, because if the icing is too hard you won't and up with a nice soft looking texture. It gets a bit rough, and you have to use more pressure, which can dislodge some of the crumb.

LeslieBruckman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieBruckman Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 7

It's called "intentionally messy" and I took Josh Russel's free buttercream class on craftsy and he touched briefly on it. It was a good class. Lots of good tips. Not anything significant but good for free. Basically scrumdiddlycakes has a good description on how to do it. But, I'm sure if you youtubed "intentionally messy buttercream" you'll get a few video hits.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%