The Oscars....and Cake....

Lounge By Sparklekat6 Updated 27 Feb 2013 , 5:16pm by Norasmom

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 11

Okay so two things: (and I know we are not to say anything bad about other bakers) but really?? The "Wolf Gang Puck" cake they kept rolling out during the Oscars preshow was sooo boring. I guarantee the person who made this cake can make waaaaaaaaayyyyy more intricate cakes than the one they were showing. I'm just saying, it's the Oscars people, do it up!

See cake here:

http://www.eonline.com/photos/7907/2013-red-carpet-all-access/262192

Secondly, it would be cool if Cake Central did a competition on Oscar style. I love, love, love, Zoe Saldana's dress and think it would be an awesome inspiration. (Of course I say this knowing that I so won't get involved in that.) But I bet there are many people who could turn these dresses into pretty epic cakes! See Zoe's dress here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/24/zoe-saldana-oscar-dress-2013-photos_n_2756580.html

Happy Monday!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 11

to me this oscars cake works

because it looks like whipped cream icing and the star of the cake is the oscar

the oscar peeps are real ticky about their statuette so wolfgang was authorized/entrusted/approved in a big way to do this--i mean of course he was he's wolfgang puck but i mean it's a big deal both ways

i like the contrast between the white, pasty, almost mushy, just barely there but beautiful and intricately piped decor of the whipped cream and the shiny smooth proud simple secure oscar

it also comes off a bit last minute in a charming way to me

i don't know i like it

they are both ethereal in their own contrasting ways

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 11

Yeah the piping is horrible! Not like I can probably do much better but Geez, this is the Oscars. Looks like they ordered the cake 10 minutes before the show!

Sparklekat6 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 11

I like the cake, as a general cake. I think it'd be kinda cool if it was done for a winter theme and had been sprinked with white sugars and maybe had some larger ice blue gumpaste snowflakes.  There's just nothing about it that says "Oscars" to me.  Or Wolf Gang Puck for that matter....

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 11

it looks someone who really knows what they're doing didn't have any equipment or time or something

i would imagine his pastry chef would have done it

and i've seen his pc on some show or other--on top chef in fact

and maybe that's it maybe wp did it himself and that's why it looks like that

i mean a great chef is not necessarily a great caker but a great chef would be a good decorator

tons of chefs don't do desserts even much less decorate cake

that cake's got a story to tell that's for sure

Sparklekat6 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 11

Do you think it's all butter cream?  I was thinking it was meringue maybe? 

andertoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andertoncakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 11

AI agree that it looks like meringue. I don't care for the cake either bit I'm sure they were trying to make the statuette shine. Which I'm sure it was sculpted in some edible medium.

Original message sent by Sparklekat6

Do you think it's all butter cream?  I was thinking it was meringue maybe? 

kovacstracey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kovacstracey Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 11

Im thinking if they would have used the gold color in the bottom piping or for around the base it would have brought it all together as it sits it looks like 2 different cakes just stuck together at the last min. Its beautiful but not well thought out. Knowing it was going to be brought out more than once it needed some more WOW factor. icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacstracey 

Im thinking if they would have used the gold color in the bottom piping or for around the base it would have brought it all together as it sits it looks like 2 different cakes just stuck together at the last min. Its beautiful but not well thought out. Knowing it was going to be brought out more than once it needed some more WOW factor. icon_rolleyes.gif

yes and the coal black cake stand helps not a bit

it's like three orphan cake elements searching to belong

Sparklekat6 Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

it's like three orphan cake elements searching to belong

Ha! Sounds like the premise to Hollywood's next big movie! Maybe there was a method to the madness after all?!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 11

The Oscar statue is nice.  I sort of like the cake, it's not overdone.  The bottom border, however, does look a little sloppy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%