Fromscratchsf Wasc - Flavor Variation Help!

Decorating By AlicesMadBatter Updated 24 Feb 2016 , 7:07pm by yste

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 11

I tried to use fromscratchSF's (beyond buttercream now) banana version of this recipe, substituting the roasted bananas for the sour cream and increasing to 2 tspns each baking soda and baking powder. I was attempting cupcakes. They puffed up really high at first, then fell and turned dark brown on the outside all around the cake. The inside was delicous and fluffy but they were not asthetically pleasing at all. Any suggestions on how to get the cake to bake up light on the outside and not fall? 

And has anyone else noticed how the cake sticks to the pan/is "wet" on the sides and bottom?  I love the texture/flavor of the inside of this cake but have not had the best luck getting the cake to remove from the pan perfectly clean.

Also, what flavors have people experimented with using her recipe as a base?  I know there is a crazy long list of gourmet flavors on a thread on here, base is a WASC box version I believe.  Is it possible to make all those flavors using this recipe instead? 

Thank you!!

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/   (recipe)

10 replies
Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 11

I've baked this cake many times and never had it be "wet" on the sides and bottom and it always comes out of the pan with no problem.  Not sure what's causing that, but maybe FromscratchSF will see your post and be able to answer.  As to flavors, I haven't tried the banana yet, but I did make a cookies and cream cake out of this recipe by adding crushed oreos and it was delicious according to my sons.  I personally don't like oreos, so I have to take their word for the taste of this one, but they said they loved it.  I've had good luck with this cake and my entire family loves the taste, the crumb and the texture.  It is now my go-to recipe.  I'll be watching to see if you get some suggestions as to what to do about the "wet" of the cake.  I always like to know solutions to problems in the event I experience the same, but as said, so far I haven't had any problems with this recipe and love the end product.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 11

Hello! Thanks for trying my recipe.  I also answered on my blog - but why did you alter the leavening?  The original recipe calls for 3 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda.  You lowered the baking powder by almost 1/2 and upped the soda by almost 1/2, and I'm not sure why - the leavening in the original recipe is based on the weight of the flower and anticipating any acid added in variations.  You didn't make my recipe, you made your own!  icon_biggrin.gif  Your cupcakes exploded then deflated because you loaded them up with baking soda and essentially made a volcano.

Don't change the leavening, and as a general rule, understand baking science to make tweaks like playing with leavening will really save you on time and ingredients.

I say in the posting that you shouldn't have to alter any leavening at all when making this base recipe for large batches, cake pans or for any variations.  In the comments (OK, yeah, there are over 170 of them but I cover banana I think in the first 5 or so) I make banana just by swapping out the sour cream and many have had great success.

Try it again!  It will work!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlicesMadBatter 

I tried to use fromscratchSF's (beyond buttercream now) banana version of this recipe, substituting the roasted bananas for the sour cream and increasing to 2 tspns each baking soda and baking powder. I was attempting cupcakes. They puffed up really high at first, then fell and turned dark brown on the outside all around the cake. The inside was delicous and fluffy but they were not asthetically pleasing at all. Any suggestions on how to get the cake to bake up light on the outside and not fall? 

And has anyone else noticed how the cake sticks to the pan/is "wet" on the sides and bottom?  I love the texture/flavor of the inside of this cake but have not had the best luck getting the cake to remove from the pan perfectly clean.

Your problems all come from making several major changes to the original recipe.

Yes in theory one can substitute the same volume of raw mashed banana for sour cream...but using roasted bananas is a whole different game. 

You increased the leavening with the bananas without understanding that they have far less acid than sour cream.  If any change was required it would be a slight decrease in the baking soda...but I have not found that using raw banana requires any change at all.

You have added too much liquid if your cake is so wet that it cannot release.  Are you really weighing the right kind of flour or are you using some bogus conversion to measuring cups?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

Hello! Thanks for trying my recipe.  I also answered on my blog - but why did you alter the leavening?  The original recipe calls for 3 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda.  You lowered the baking powder by almost 1/2 and upped the soda by almost 1/2, and I'm not sure why - the leavening in the original recipe is based on the weight of the flower and anticipating any acid added in variations.  You didn't make my recipe, you made your own!  icon_biggrin.gif  Your cupcakes exploded then deflated because you loaded them up with baking soda and essentially made a volcano.

Don't change the leavening, and as a general rule, understand baking science to make tweaks like playing with leavening will really save you on time and ingredients.

I say in the posting that you shouldn't have to alter any leavening at all when making this base recipe for large batches, cake pans or for any variations.  In the comments (OK, yeah, there are over 170 of them but I cover banana I think in the first 5 or so) I make banana just by swapping out the sour cream and many have had great success.

Try it again!  It will work!

But from your blog, the following:

Hello,
how would you make this recipe a banana cake? simply adding mashed bananas and banana flavoring? maybe a little cinnamon? I’m new at baking from scratch and I’m very nervous about trying this for the first time for my son’s birthday party. your recipe sounds declicious though and I’ve heard nothing but good feedback. Thanks for your time.

• Banana Version! I actually just did this myself. Replace the sour cream with roasted mashed bananas, and change to 2 tsp. baking powder and 2 tsp. baking soda. I normally don’t add other spices to my banana cake but feel free to experiment. You can also fold in 1/2 to 1 cup of roasted walnuts.

Don’t be nervous! It’s only cake! Good luck.

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 11

I would never alter a recipe and then complain when it does not work. Obviously I was following what I thought was the appropriate recipe variation. It was taken from the fromscratchsf blog!! I have been embarassed and made to feel stupid by your response that "I made a volcano" and "I didn't make your recipe I made my own." And that I should "understand science"  Wow.   Maybe I am misreading the tone your response was written in, as it is just a message, but it came across as condesending to me. Maybe I am just being a bit sensitive and embarassed.  But I made the recipe you said to make!  See below!

I too copied this thread from you directly fromscratchsf!!!

Hello,
how would you make this recipe a banana cake? simply adding mashed bananas and banana flavoring? maybe a little cinnamon? I’m new at baking from scratch and I’m very nervous about trying this for the first time for my son’s birthday party. your recipe sounds declicious though and I’ve heard nothing but good feedback. Thanks for your time.

• Banana Version! I actually just did this myself. Replace the sour cream with roasted mashed bananas, and change to 2 tsp. baking powder and 2 tsp. baking soda. I normally don’t add other spices to my banana cake but feel free to experiment. You can also fold in 1/2 to 1 cup of roasted walnuts.

Don’t be nervous! It’s only cake! Good luck.

You then linked a recipe for roasted bananas.    I will look again at your blog, but I did not see any other banana variation other than this one.

FromScratchSF Posted 6 Mar 2013 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 11

I totally missed this!

OK I actually don't remember posting that from 2 years ago - and I wasn't trying to make anyone feel stupid.  I don't remember making that initial adjustment and posting it, because I don't do that at all when I make this recipe now, so I totally apologize.  There are so many comments and variations that people have posted I've completely lost track of what people have done.  The general consensus is that the leavening is fine as-is and works with over 20 flavor variations that my readers have tried.

I'll go back and edit out that comment, thank you for pointing it out.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:00am
post #8 of 11

From ScratchSF:  Hi!  I love this recipe, thank you!  I've made it a number of times, but I thought your original post only had 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda.  The above post mentions 1 tsp plus 1/8 tsp.  Is that just for the banana variation?  I've had great success with 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda.

Thanks!

Liz

FromScratchSF Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:34am
post #9 of 11

LOL please use the recipe as posted on the blog. Hahaha

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 12:38am
post #10 of 11

Thanks!  I only noticed because it was such a specific amount (5/8 tsp.)  Great recipe!

Liz

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 11

Hi. I just purchased her recipe on etsy. I wanted to make oreo cake but it didnt say how much oreos to be add. Can you please give suggestion how much oreo should i add. Thanks a lot! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%