What To Use For Figurines?

Decorating By crustdust Updated 22 Feb 2013 , 12:56am by milkmaid42

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 6

AI really like the Marshmallow Fondant to cover cakes with but (and this could be my fault too) it seems very soft when it comes to making figurines. Should I use a different fondant when I would like to make figurines ?

Thank you

5 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

I usually use plain old Wilton fondant to make my figures. It's relatively inexpensive (especially with a hobby lobby couponthumbs_up.gif), dries fast (with or without tylose) and I like the way it models.

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 6

I usually make mine using a combination of fondant and gumpaste. I use wilton fondant and make the gumpaste from the wilton gumpaste mix. You could try adding some gumpaste or some tylose to your marshmallow fondant too. 

crustdust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crustdust Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 6

AIs there a way to make Gumpaste without Tylose?

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 12:30am
post #5 of 6

I have never tried this recipe but found it on this site...http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7427/easy-gumpaste-recipe. It does not call for tylose but it does call for gelatin and glucose. 

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 12:56am
post #6 of 6

I used to use gum paste exclusively for figures until I came across this recipe. I made the Christmas elf and the cowgirl figures in my cakes and found it lovely to work with. It gives you time to work, yet remains pliable. Unless I'm making flowers which need to be rolled thinly, I think I will stick with this recipe for any figure work. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJCUy3ezRxE&list=PLB938A0B345928EDB

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%