2013 Alabama Cottage Food Bill Sb236

Decorating By cakeymom Updated 4 Apr 2013 , 3:05pm by -K8memphis

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 16

Good news the bill has been submitted.  SB236 YES!!!!!!!!!!!

It includes Candy and has a cap of 20K  I can definitely live with this as a start.

Way to go Senator Glover!!!!!!!

Cakeymom

15 replies
cakeymom Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 4:46am
post #2 of 16

AI started a new thread since this is a new year and a new bill number. Where are my Alabama bakers?????

Cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 16

Calling ALL Alabama bakers and anyone that would come up to the plate to help support us!!!  I wanted to start a new thread because this is a newly numbered Bill and can be easily looked up. 

Senator Glover is coming through and we do not need to sleep on this.

Please sign the following petition to help us in Alabama:

http://www.change.org/petitions/alabama-state-legislators-allow-production-of-non-potentially-hazardous-foods-in-a-home-kitchen?utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign&utm_medium=url_share&utm_source=share_petition

cakeymom Posted 27 Feb 2013 , 2:22am
post #4 of 16

ACalling all supporters to please sign the above noted petition.

Help a baker out!

Cakeymom

firechickrn08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firechickrn08 Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:35am
post #5 of 16

AI signed

cakeymom Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:39am
post #6 of 16

ATHANKS!!!!!!!

cakeymom Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:42am
post #7 of 16

AI just checked the Alabama Legislature website and SB236 is going to be voted on by the Business and Labor committee of which none other than the sponsor of bill is the chairperson.

AWESOME!!!!!

Cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 28 Feb 2013 , 3:44am
post #8 of 16

AThat vote is scheduled for tomorrow. One more giant step to passing!!!!!!!!

Cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 16

In the mist of the third reading in the Senate, which from there if approved the bill will go to the House for readings and a vote, SB236 has suffered a set back.  According to  one Senator's Office the Democrats have started a filibuster and because of this only a couple of Bills are going through the Senate per day.  HOW SELFISH!!!!!!

So, if you are an Alabamian, please email, call, fax the Alabama Senate concerning the importance of SB236 ASAP!!!!!

Thanks,

cakeymom

connie9003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie9003 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 16

I am routing for you!! I would like to get things started in Kentucky to get our laws changed. I just hope there are some Kentucky bakers ready to step up and help me with the fight. I have done hours of research and I am very encouraged. Good Luck !!!

cakeymom Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks!  Good luck to you as well.

cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 16

I just received this response back from a Senator that I emailed:

"I do not understand why persons wishing to operate a business don’t just jet a business license as people who operate a business have to do. This is already law"

I responded by letting the Senator know about the current law and it's restrictions versus having a Bill go through the Alabama Legislature to make the necessary changes to allow persons to sell baked goods/candies from their home.

So, they just don't understand the issue?????  Maybe we did not do a good job in communicating the issue??????  Or the Senator just does not want to understand.

Only in Alabama.  Obviously my state is not a very progressive thinking state.................

WOW, is this going to be a three year battle?????  I certainly hope not, but it is sure looking that way.

cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 16

After responding to the above concern by an Alabama Senator this is the response:

"May I suggest that you start with your local government which can by ordinance allow such a mixed use in a resident if they desire. I do not feel it should be state law because in urban areas it will cause too many problems. This really can be resolved if your local city council or if unincorporated, county government agree with you."

Not my problem and pass the buck seems to be the sentiment with this Senator.  This is definitely an UP HILL battle .

If this passes it WILL BE an all out MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cakeymom

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeymom 

After responding to the above concern by an Alabama Senator this is the response:

"May I suggest that you start with your local government which can by ordinance allow such a mixed use in a resident if they desire. I do not feel it should be state law because in urban areas it will cause too many problems. This really can be resolved if your local city council or if unincorporated, county government agree with you."

Not my problem and pass the buck seems to be the sentiment with this Senator.  This is definitely an UP HILL battle .

If this passes it WILL BE an all out MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cakeymom

cakeymom, i see your points but the senator unfortunately is correct. 

here in tennessee we have some allowances at the state level for home based baked goods production but it still does not allow for me to do decorated cake out of my home--i'm in an urban area just like he says--there is no multi use for that here--residential zoning is strictly that--and i'm ok with that because i appreciate that my neighbor cannot operate a pig farm on his front lawn nor a mechanic shop

also decorated cake falls under catering so it's a double whammy

everyone can open and operate their businesses if they obey the local laws

i do not see it as him passing the buck -- he's giving you some straight forward information

also home baking dilutes the already hard hit baking businesses--the peeps who already stuck their necks out there, took the financial plunge and did it right--they should not be penalized just because we want to have it easy--as in easier than they did

changing things at the state level does not always mean bringing about the change you seek

all it takes is the local zoning board and/or health department to block it all--the senator is correct about that no matter how we feel about it

please don't shoot the messenger or more accurately the message interpretor

cakeymom Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 16

It's just a little frustrating after learning that neighboring Mississippi passed their Bill on April 1st.  The Senator may have a point, so I will not totally give up.

I guess when we feel passionate about about a matter and everyone else does not agree we can get a little defensive instead of looking at the BIG picture.

So fingers and toes are still crossed and if we can't get it one way, there may be another way. 

After all I tell my kids all the time, "Tell me how you can, instead of how you can't".

Thanks, and I'll try to be positive,

Cakeymom

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 16

tn already passed ours a few years ago--didn't help me any ;)   screw the state stuff

for real--dang-- use some of this passion and energy to get funding for a real shop

do the best you can with what you have and go for it

there are open doors right now if you want this bad enough

not the exact way you want but nobody is stopping you

you understand that passing a bill does not translate to an open door to bake what you want from your home

because there are two other levels of government --city and county of course

not to mention many agencies, zoning, fire, health, licensing, code like you already know

do it if you want it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%