Favorite Cakes That We Keep Secret

Lounge By peppercorns Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 3:38pm by cakelady524

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 6:01am
post #1 of 75

Hi to all Bakers, most of us bake for profit and some just bake for the enjoyment of it, but what is your favorite cake for after dinner dessert? Or afternoon tea, or whatever holiday? Have you ever thought of treating yourself on these sumptuous desserts that you bake for others? I'm curious. My favorite cake is Queen Elizabeth Date Cake. I love this cake so much, that I try not to run out of it.Hmmmm,yumking.gif

74 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 6:47am
post #2 of 75

I love dark chocolate with black raspberry filling and dark chocolate ganache... and now I need cake!

peppercorns Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 6:50am
post #3 of 75

thumbs_up.gif

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 7:17am
post #4 of 75

I never get tired of Dark Chocolate Cake with Raspberry filling and SMB.

peppercorns Posted 21 Feb 2013 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 75

Yum, chocolate thumbs_up.gif, have you ever tried the chocolate recipe at the back of Hershey chocolate can? It is scrumptious, I torte mine with chocolate ganache, as well as ice with ganache. This recipe is moist.birthday.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 6:14am
post #6 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Hi to all Bakers, most of us bake for profit and some just bake for the enjoyment of it, but what is your favorite cake for after dinner dessert? Or afternoon tea, or whatever holiday? Have you ever thought of treating yourself on these sumptuous desserts that you bake for others? I'm curious. My favorite cake is Queen Elizabeth Date Cake. I love this cake so much, that I try not to run out of it.Hmmmm,yumking.gif

Bwahahahaha!! My jeans are looking at me in disgust and asking, "have you ever thought of NOT treating yourself to these...?" That said, I am an equal opportunity cake receptacle. I'm yet to find a favorite though, I just like everything. I don't think any human alive has eaten as much of my cakes as I have. I call it ongoing Research and Development. icon_cool.gif

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:30am
post #7 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Bwahahahaha!! My jeans are looking at me in disgust and asking, "have you ever thought of NOT treating yourself to these...?" That said, I am an equal opportunity cake receptacle. I'm yet to find a favorite though, I just like everything. I don't think any human alive has eaten as much of my cakes as I have. I call it ongoing Research and Development. icon_cool.gif

Love this!  Treating ourselves to Research & Development - Isn't that on page 1 of the Cake Law Handbook?

vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:04am
post #8 of 75

You bet it is!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:43am
post #9 of 75

Vgcea I am with you all the way.  There have not been too many cakes in this life that I haven't liked.  I'm talking home made of course and not shop bought cos most of them are not worth the calories.  When my kids left home my husband finally had to consent to eating cake so I could keep baking.  Otherwise I would sit and eat the whole cake by myself and then whinge about all the weight I was putting on.  That would then lead to no baking and that would make for one very unhappy wife.  It's been a few years now and he is so well trained that he looks for cake with his coffee every night.  And it's too bad if you like one in particular in this house as I have moved on to trying a new recipe by the time each one is eaten.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:51am
post #10 of 75

A

Original message sent by vgcea

You still have jeans? I switched to muumuus YEARS ago, and put in a double door, so they don't have to burn the house down when I pass on to cake-heaven.... ;-D

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 75

I can't make my favorite cake anymore. icon_cry.gif  My absolute favorite has more to do with the buttercream than the cake, but it is such a perfect pairing.  It is brown sugar pound cake with silk meringue buttercream from Rose Levy's book.  My kids are so allergic to dairy even cooking it causes an allergic reaction. I wish I could find someone around here to make it for me, but I think asking a professional baker to make a cake using a specific recipe would be rude and insane. Wondered if it would be worth if to send my kids away for the weekend so I can bake and eat my cake the detox my house. 

cazza1 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 75

Have you considered boarding school until they are old enough to leave home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 75

My favorite cake is anything chocolate, with more chocolate on it. Then some chocolate on the side. I'm pretty sure that the insides of my veins run brown with the stuff. 

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 75

My favorite cake is a dark chocolate cake plain... it is a recipe from 1924 and is so moist and tasty that it needs noting else...

peppercorns Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 75

Wow, I knew it, I was hoping someone  would see humor on this thread! You got meicon_redface.gif, I have found a temporary solution to my cake addiction, I bake fruit cakes!  I know it is better eaten after  a few weeks or months, I aged them in my woman's cave and enjoy the intoxicating  aroma emanating from them icon_lol.gif. Oh I also keep the rum, along with vodka, I found vodka mixed with fondant smells better!  

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:57pm
post #16 of 75

Wow, I think I am in the minority.  I do not like cake, chocolate, icing, cookies, etc.  If it weren't for my husband I would have no way to judge a "good" tasting cake icon_sad.gif

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:01pm
post #17 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

Have you considered boarding school until they are old enough to leave home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the idea! Then I could also get some sleep. I wonder do boarding schools take toddlers? Then I will be more fat and happy. I get to eat cake and sleep!

vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

You still have jeans? I switched to muumuus YEARS ago, and put in a double door, so they don't have to burn the house down when I pass on to cake-heaven.... thumbs_up.gif

This had me howling! My neighbors must think I've lost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

I can't make my favorite cake anymore. icon_cry.gif  My absolute favorite has more to do with the buttercream than the cake, but it is such a perfect pairing.  It is brown sugar pound cake with silk meringue buttercream from Rose Levy's book.  My kids are so allergic to dairy even cooking it causes an allergic reaction. I wish I could find someone around here to make it for me, but I think asking a professional baker to make a cake using a specific recipe would be rude and insane. Wondered if it would be worth if to send my kids away for the weekend so I can bake and eat my cake the detox my house. 

Um, I'm afraid you're going to have to rent a commercial kitchen to save your cake soul.

Quote:

Amen! Why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns 

Wow, I knew it, I was hoping someone  would see humor on this thread! You got meicon_redface.gif, I have found a temporary solution to my cake addiction, I bake fruit cakes!  I know it is better eaten after  a few weeks or months, I aged them in my woman's cave and enjoy the intoxicating  aroma emanating from them icon_lol.gif. Oh I also keep the rum, along with vodka, I found vodka mixed with fondant smells better!  

Hmph. I tried aging a fruit cake once, the cake never made it. So now I bake 2, one to age, and one to eat while the main cake is aging. So far, only half of the main cake has made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista 

Wow, I think I am in the minority.  I do not like cake, chocolate, icing, cookies, etc.  If it weren't for my husband I would have no way to judge a "good" tasting cake icon_sad.gif

*GASP* SHUDDUP!  No. Way. 

vgcea Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:50pm
post #19 of 75
Quote:

Vgcea I am with you all the way.  There have not been too many cakes in this life that I haven't liked.  I'm talking home made of course and not shop bought cos most of them are not worth the calories.  When my kids left home my husband finally had to consent to eating cake so I could keep baking.  Otherwise I would sit and eat the whole cake by myself and then whinge about all the weight I was putting on.  That would then lead to no baking and that would make for one very unhappy wife.  It's been a few years now and he is so well trained that he looks for cake with his coffee every night.  And it's too bad if you like one in particular in this house as I have moved on to trying a new recipe by the time each one is eaten.

How cute! A certain someone also doesn't like dessert, *and I'm thinking, how in the world do you expect us to get along in life?* The training has commenced. So far so good,  we're making progress: Subject scrapes off the frosting *I roll my eyes at such foolishness* and proceeds to eat the cake. Hey, that's better than nothing. 

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 9:51pm
post #20 of 75

I guess I am just weird... I don't like fruit cakes at all...

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:26pm
post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB213 

I guess I am just weird... I don't like fruit cakes at all...

With me, it just depends on the fruitcake. There are so many different recipes. There's one that I love that is solid Brazil nuts and almost no cake! Expensive, though.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 11:53pm
post #22 of 75

Shanter why doesn't it surprise me that your fav cake is completely nuts???

for me it's orange drizzle cake with soft whipped milk choc ganache mmmmmmmmmmmmm

peppercorns Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:19am
post #23 of 75

Hello Vista, seriously? What's for  dessert then? You are lucky if you don't have the sweet toothicon_smile.gif

cheeksgirls805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeksgirls805 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 1:56am
post #24 of 75

AI rarely eat any thing I make. My poor boyfriend may end up with high blood sugar. I usually make something and ask if he wants a piece then stare intently tell he tells me if its good or not. If anything I'll take a bite of his and be good for a while. But all my neighbors love me cause there's almost always something sweet to eat. :grin:

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 2:19am
post #25 of 75

I can't say I would willingly eat fruitcake, but then I've never seen one that couldn't be used to build a house.  I don't even taste my cakes any more unless I'm working on a new recipe.  After I get it perfected, that's it. 

What I really like are the dark, fudgey, gooey brownies that you almost have to eat with a spoon. Full of chocolate chunks, of course.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 2:40am
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Gray 

Shanter why doesn't it surprise me that your fav cake is completely nuts???

for me it's orange drizzle cake with soft whipped milk choc ganache mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love chocolate and orange too.

shanter exits, screaming maniacally. . . . . running away from those people coming after her with the coat with the really long sleeves. 

cakelady524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady524 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:11am
post #27 of 75

My favorite cake is a recipe from one of my Mothers dearest friends. It's called a Hershey bar cake

cazza1 Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 3:52am
post #28 of 75

Hey Vgcea, my darling still scrapes the icing off.  And he has recently started raiding my chocolate stash. ( I buy chocolate in 2.5 kg bags under the pretext of making those beautiful expensive chocolates that you see in specialty shops.  Fortunatly for my brain chemicals most of it seems to get tipped into a cup and eaten before tempering.)  He is not in my league yet as he will eat about 6 chocolate buds for every kg that I consume.

peppercorns Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 4:40am
post #29 of 75

Hershey bar cake? Yumicon_smile.gif, but what I really love the most, is freshly baked just out of the oven bread! Grrrrrrrrr.. with warm butter, I go insaneicon_twisted.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Feb 2013 , 5:06am
post #30 of 75

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......bread......white bread.....black bread......barley bread.......wild rice bread......cranberry and orange bread (made with a whole giant navel orange run through the food processor peel and all).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%