Embossed Satin Ribbon Effect

Decorating By sixbittersweets Updated 20 Feb 2013 , 6:19am by Chellescakes

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 3:14am
post #1 of 5

I've been loving the effect I've seen on wedding cakes recently where it looks like the fondant has embossing that is slightly above the base fondant but close enough that I wonder if the design is applied separately.  I'm guessing either that or outlines are being drawn on the base fondant then the shapes are filled in to give the illusion of 3D.  Does anyone have any idea?  Below is the most well-known example of this effect I've seen.  Thanks!!

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:12am
post #2 of 5

Definitely not drawn. Look to the layered effect in the red circles, to see how I know. There is definitely more fondant behind there.  I would say it is just strips of thinly rolled fondant or gumpaste mix, applied to the cake, then the embossing wheel rolled over the edges to look like an applique.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:12am
post #3 of 5

I do love it, BTW!!

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 4:33am
post #4 of 5

Good call -- thanks!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 20 Feb 2013 , 6:19am
post #5 of 5

This is done with a method called Bas Relief, where you build up the design with fondant or flowerpaste ( gumpaste ) or pastillage . You start with the area that would be furtherest away from the eye( the flat ribbon at the back )  then you build up to what will be the closest ( the knot in the centre ) . Then this one just seems to have a stitching wheel run around to put the details in .  I would then just dust with a satin sheened lustre. .  

It is a really lovely idea , the bow on the side of the cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%