Wheat And Dairy Free Cake

Decorating By LizzieAylett Updated 9 Mar 2013 , 3:44pm by LizzieAylett

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

I've said that I will attempt to make a cake for a friend who is on a wheat and dairy free diet.  I have a suitable cake recipe, and fondant is fine, but does anyone have any suggestions for a crumb coat/ undercoat?  Buttercream is out, obviously, and ganache.  I can't think of anything else :-(

If all else fails I can do a design which doesn't require a smooth finish to the fondant, but I'd like to try if I can.

Thanks,

Lizzie

8 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 9

AYou can make buttercream using soy-based margarine and high-ratio shortening, we used Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks (available from Whole Foods) and Sweetex.

LizzieAylett Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry, I should have pointed out that I'm in the UK.  Do you know if those products are available over here?

Thanks for your input, Jason, you're a great help on here :-)

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 9

Lizzie, would you be willing to share your dairy free cake recipe? 

Thankyou!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 19 Feb 2013 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 9

I have never tried it but Vitalite is dairy free margarine which may work and I think Cookeen might be an equivalent to high ratio shortening? Trying a post on the UK cupcake forum might get better substitues than my suggestions!

Just after thinking - Oatly have a dairy free cream substitute, would that and dairy free (dark) chocolate produce ganache?

Sorry they are more my rambling thoughts than a useful post!

LizzieAylett Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks (belatedly) for your suggestions.  I'll have a wee shop around and experiment for a bit.  If I succeed in getting something good then I'll post it here.

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 9

I've just done a dairy free cake (and am in the UK) and used Pure spread for the buttercream and soya milk which worked really well (it was chocolate buttercream so you don't miss the lack of butter flavour).

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 22 Feb 2013 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 9

Last year, as a companion to the Leland Awards cake, I baked a single(!) cupcake for a severely dairy-allergic fellow docent, and frosted it with a simple maple-cinnamon glaze (I think it was Vermont Grade B thickened with powdered sugar and ground cinnamon). Earth Balance is not exactly cheap, and it wasn't something I particularly wanted to keep on hand.

LizzieAylett Posted 9 Mar 2013 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 9

Just an update, I used Soya Vitalite for the buttercream, and although it tasted ok, the consistency was a bit off.  I use a variant of the Hummingbird Bakery's American buttercream but with using the Vitalite instead of butter, I didn't need to add any milk, and it didn't crust as well.  I think a bit  more experimenting is needed.  The cake was fine, and the people I gave it too said it was "mouth-wateringly delicious", so that's ok!

SweetTreat, I just used this recipe: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/dark-goddess-cake.html, and subsituted the Vitalite instead of the butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%